Do you play Rimworld?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
@LRangerR That sounds like a solid strategy! I'm always a bit too lazy with my handling pawns or forget I marked something to be tamed only to be reminded by "[scary animal] revenge." I'll have to deploy some of your tactics next time we play!

LRangerR

Local Legend
@Brave Little Sapling Yeah, I have a lot of fun with it. I'm not demented like many other players are out there, and I'm not judging either. Rimworld is just a game, but still I like to respect my pawns lives and choices, and I like to breathe life into them so that the colonies I create feel truly lived in. For example, I decorate rooms with things I feel the pawns would like, or like to have. A warrior gets some of his older armors or weapons on a shelf, or maybe an ornamental sword, a gourmand gets a "candy dish", a chemical curious one gets a stash somewhere, a socialite gets nice chairs, an animal lover gets a pet bed (preferbly inconveniently placed bc we stardewans all know how animals are), etc etc etc. I once had a craftsman who was a workaholic with an entire mini workshop in his bedroom, it was very cramped and he loved it because he was always getting that big mood buff. Did what I could to make his room pretty but he didn't care that much.

I also set their priorities based on their personalities. Also their eating habits, drug habits, and other little things that most people wouldn't care about. It's definitely a different playstyle,but I'm not the kinda guy who likes to cheese my way through games and make the most awesomest thing ever (tm)! I like Rimworld because it's a story telling game.

To me, the engine is the platform, the canvas, if you will. The pawns are like the medium, and the storyteller is the artist. I am simply the observer and participant who guides the parameters of the game along within the confines and rules of the game itself. Sometimes the colonies aren't very dramatic, and are snuffed out by a harsh world. Sometimes they struggle greatly, but sometimes they truly thrive.

I had one game where I had a thriving colony that was making a lot of progress towards its goals, but it wasn't quite successful yet. Then tragedy struck in a series of events that followed a catastrophic raid. The colony lost all but one of its hunters, and the warriors were in poor shape, all the craftsman were lost, as well as all the negotiators. It was a very hard several years, and I really wasn't sure if they were going to survive even the first winter, in fact they almost didn't. But alas, they eventually got a random recruit and bought a few slaves (and freed them) and then were back on their path. That one hunter though...he literally single handedly saved the colony that time.

Last edited:
@LRangerR You summed up the premise of the game so beautifully! It really is all about experiencing a story and observing (and appreciating) the colonists unique personalities and passions, witnessing their accomplishments, and mourning with them when tragedy strikes. It's difficult to not save scum to get optimal outcomes from messed up situations that claim the lives of your star pawns, but that's really not how the game was intended to be played. It truly is a Lord of the Flies simulator and I think the hardest part of the game is learning to accept whatever the storyteller throws at you--but once you do and you overcome the darkest of situations, it feels amazing!

I've been attached to specific pawns in every playthrough we've done; it's impossible not to. The very first pawn I felt that for wandered in as a wild man named Purple; he was domesticated and became an amazing craftsman as well as a very brave fighter--our current colony's religion is based off of him and has been dubbed Purplism, founded by the Purp faction at the Purple Plains settlement. Fabio the fallen mechcommander who's colony fell into chaos and disrepair upon his death whom I mentioned earlier was another pawn that I will never forget; he almost died as an infant after his mother lost her first husband and wandered sadly into a bug infested cave WHILE SHE WAS CARRYING HIM... Cassandra was a very benevolent storyteller that day as Fabio was rescued somehow unscathed after a bloody battle with the bugs who followed a 5 year old highmate to the settlement after we accepted her plea for help; she later became Fabio's wife.

The stories and lives of these little people is so enthralling I don't understand how anyone couldn't fall in love with this game. It's so awesome you take so much care to create personalized quarters and schedules for your pawns, I would love to do something similar but it just becomes so resource (and space) intenseive to not have barracks for sleeping quarters, but I always prioritize jobs based on passions and give them a MASSIVE rec room with everything they could ever want to help balance it out.

God, I could talk about this game for days on end haha.

LRangerR

Local Legend
@Brave Little Sapling i really could talk about it for days on end too. I had one old wardog one time, he was trigger happy and wielded some kinda gatling gun and I called it his varmint gun, because he was always killing squirrels and rats with it. Anyways, one day Mr Anders got in a shootout and lost his leg. We weren't even close to the tech level so he got a pegleg and was confined to the fort which had a workshop, prison, armory, and it was expanding. Eventually he died, but that fortress became 'fort anders' until I eventually lost the colony, but fort anders weathered some serious battles and sieges. We even had a space to pull out mortars and return fire with them. Nothing like dropping incindiary on too of you enemys ammo pile. Now THAT colony, I was really sad to see go.

And another time, there was a massive fire. I mean massive as in my colony had fires on 3 sides of it and there was no rain in sight, pretty standard rimworld stuff. But there was this one tree, to this day I still don't know how it survived, but it was burned and survived the maelstrom alone in a field of ashes. We designated it as the marriage tree, and the head Canon was something like, "may your union last the way this tree has survived something blahblah". It was super romantic I swear. But then one day there was a toxic fallout and obviously all the vegetation was doomed to die, so I had a statue commissioned (or took one from the museum, idk) and found one with a fitting epithet and put it right in front of the tree until the tree fell. And that is how the Wedding Tree was forever memorialized in said colony. There was even a Pavillion and a park springing up in the area.

However, the cheesiest way I have ever found to make money on the Rim is to make statues out of silver. Anything that is at least I think Good will sell for a profit easily, and anything else you can send someone to town when he has an Inspired Trade. It feels so dirty but is pretty satisfying.

@LRangerR It's really incredible how much meaning one can find in this game; the story of the marriage tree is precious! It reminds me of our symbolic gold wall in our current colony's rec room. Every time we start a new game, we begin with basic wood walls, then as we amass stone blocks the walls get replaced. It was a few in-game years before we noticed we forgot to upgrade one 5-segment long wall on the interior of our base that ran between the rec room and the workshop, we also wanted the beauty of the rec room to surpass 200, so we memorialized the last original wall by turning it into gold! Silver statues really are a gold mine--anything silver, really, especially if you have a gifted artist! We once had so much human leather from fallen enemies that we found out human leather chairs sell for quite a pretty penny, too! We normally mass produce yayo and smokeleaf joints to fund our operations so it was nice to spice it up a little bit with some forbidden furniture.