Do you play Rimworld?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
2024 is an amazing year for indie games! Today is obviously the much-anticipated release date for the 1.6 update in Stardew Valley and I'm so excited to pick the game up this weekend, but is anyone else here absolutely hyped for the upcoming giant 1.5 update to Rimworld coming out next month?!
If you play it, have you checked out the 18-page changelog (found here) and are you as excited as I am about crawling downed pawns and the obsolesence of several mods thanks to base game changes?
What are your thoughts on the new DLC, Anomaly, coming out alongside the update?
Do you play with any or all of the already available DLC?
What is your favorite Geneva Convention violation to commit in the game?

imnvs

Local Legend
I have Biotech, and my favorite way to violate the Geneva convention is to recruit people just to rip them apart for making mechs.

Not sure if I'll be doing any more DLC, though. It feels very cash-grabby. I only got Biotech because it was bundled during the fall sale and allows for children.

@imnvs I love the Biotech DLC, it's what inspired us to buy all the others, too, and I'm so glad we did because now we have religious reasons for eating the flesh of our enemies without disturbing the entire colony--it even gives them mood buffs! My only gripe with the addition of children is that they are very weak and lose limbs (and entire lives) easily; like c'mon, it was a maddened SQUIRREL, bro! I'm not sure how to feel about the new DLC either, it sounds interesting to have more spooky occurences that will hopefully expand on races like sanguophages and perhaps a marriage with Cult of Cthulu mods, but we're probably going to wait and see before buying it as the "full game" is definitely becoming rather pricey.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Have you ever fought a maddened squirrel? Squirrels have insanely quick reflexes already, do you know how ridiculously a saddened squirrel would be? I would have trouble fending one off, I can't imagine a child surviving if the squirrel really was out to kill. I blame the PAX

KatieLikesCake

Greenhorn
I have it on my steam wishlist, what is your experience with it? It seems really fun
I once spent 16 hours on a flat map with hardly any stone, building a colony mostly out of wood, I captured a raider but forgot to check his traits. Turns out he was a pyromaniac and he burned down my entire colony in a day. Fun times. 😂

Honestly some of the most entertaining builds with Rimworld have been utter failures.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I once spent 16 hours on a flat map with hardly any stone, building a colony mostly out of wood, I captured a raider but forgot to check his traits. Turns out he was a pyromaniac and he burned down my entire colony in a day. Fun times. 😂

Honestly some of the most entertaining builds with Rimworld have been utter failures.
Lol

LRangerR

Local Legend

Was his name Ranger?

I have it on my steam wishlist, what is your experience with it? It seems really fun
My husband and I have over 1,000 hours into it! It's a blast, basically a dollhouse game where you pick your starting pawns, have them build and defend a base, recruit new people, and experience absolutely insane events based on the storyteller you choose. We're currently working with a group of folks who started as "wild men" and we're trying to see how wealthy and prestigious we can make our colony of free-loving alcoholics with a penchant for convincing others to join our debaucherous faith with violence. Most colonists have three or more spouses at this point, we've almost completed the tech tree (which was made much larger by incorporating dozens of mods), we have a ranch with several species of critters, two obnoxiously large gardens where we plant the seeds of a grand drug operation for trading purposes, 9 robots to help with chores, 20 colonists including two slaves who have only received one beating in recent quadrums, two of our people have psychic abilities and royal titles (they are father and son), and somehow we've only lost five people along the way including one stillborn.
You can do literally anything in the game and I think I'm most excited about the new update including a feature that allows you to play as strangers who wander into your ruined colony when it's "game over," because it's devastating when you do lose it all after you've worked so hard for everything you've built.
If it goes on sale, you should totally get it! The base game has plenty of flavor, but the mod community is absolutely blessed and worth checking out once you get a feel for the mechanics.

So true!! We had a colony once that completely fell apart after our mech commander's many children died in a brutal raid. He fell into a suicidal psychosis and sacrificed himself to a megasloth. After he died all of the mechs went haywire. His wife and brother were sent in transport pods to maybe rebuild elsewhere but there was no hope, they were completely devastated and unable to go a full day without having a mental break. They eventually died, too. Absolutely heartbreaking, but it's better than what they write in the movies!!

LRangerR

Local Legend
So true!! We had a colony once that completely fell apart after our mech commander's many children died in a brutal raid.
I absolutely adore the stories that rimworld tells. When I get my computer back I think I may keep a journal and then publish it in storyesque format.
To answer your original question, I don't normally commit warcrimes, but I do have an absolutely massive cemetery full of everyone who has dared try to assault my colonies. It's similar to a mass grave right? Okay fine, if not that then it's my use of incendiary artillery on enemy bases, because fire.

To answer your original question, I don't normally commit warcrimes, but I do have an absolutely massive cemetery full of everyone who has dared try to assault my colonies. It's similar to a mass grave right? Okay fine, if not that then it's my use of incendiary artillery on enemy bases, because fire.
We've eaten our fallen enemies before and used the few who lived to farm hemogen for our sanguophages. Lately we've just been cremating them because WHY DO YOU KEEP PUTTING ON TAINTED APPAREL?! We once had a prisoner who kept trying to break out and after the third or forth time he was just laying there so we checked his health and he managed to get both legs torn off in previous altercations. After letting him lay on the dirt floor in a 3x3 room for awhile we converted him to our religion and decided to have him join our colony. He eventually worked up from peg legs to bionic legs and man, he was a great crop tender. Never gave us a single issue after all that!

LRangerR

Local Legend
I've not looked specifically for a wheelchair mod, but there's a mod for everything else so it very may well be out there!
I think one of my favorite stories was one my friend told me, he was playing with the ancient alpha animals or whatever, the one with like sabretooths and gigantopithecus and the like. Anyways, he managed to tame one of them giant prehistoric turtles but it lost limbs so he replaced them. And then he had a giant mecha turtle defending his base and it was able to take such a ridiculous amount of damage. I forget how much HP he said the shell had. Me personally though? One of my favorite times is when I had a gator ranch. The big cat sanctuary was fun too. I just tamed any cat that wandered into the map bc cats. Was hoping I'd find a lion or tiger from one of the exotic traders but that never happened.

@LRangerR There are so many cool animals you can get from mods! I like having a pack of "meat" animals, at least one horse for convoys, and something like a couple rhinos or elephants--preferably a thrumbo--for carnage. The mechaturtle sounds amazingly bada**, I bet that was a blast to experience! The coolest thing we've ever tamed is a freakishly large tardigrade called a megatardi--we had a pack of three wander in our map shortly after getting established and were only able to get one before the rest wandered off--and that beautiful creature can eat toxic waste packs which solves the problem of "how do I safely store all of this hazardous waste from my mechs while taking care not to send them to hostile enemies via transport pod after which they will swarm our colony with roughly 60 people?" just store that sludge in your barn with your hay and megatardi handles the rest! We also had a couple of megawolverines and they were so tough they'd go out and kill megasloths for their meals.
Gator ranch sounds epic, as does the big cat sanctuary! I'm always scared to send people out to tame the agro animals but it's so worth it when it results in success. Few fleshy enemies can withstand the force of a nature-made killing machine. Exotic traders usually have dogs whenever we speak to them and it always results in heartbreak because "corgi 1 has died" due to wandering just outside the house during a raid/infestation/manhunter pack shortly after acquiring said corgi. I wish the exotic traders had more variety with the animals they're willing to trade, but thankfully nature provides cougars and panthers to make big cat dreams thrive!

LRangerR

Local Legend
@LRangerR There are so many cool animals you can get from mods! I like having a pack of "meat" animals, at least one horse for convoys, and something like a couple rhinos or elephants--preferably a thrumbo--for carnage. The mechaturtle sounds amazingly bada**, I bet that was a blast to experience! The coolest thing we've ever tamed is a freakishly large tardigrade called a megatardi--we had a pack of three wander in our map shortly after getting established and were only able to get one before the rest wandered off--and that beautiful creature can eat toxic waste packs which solves the problem of "how do I safely store all of this hazardous waste from my mechs while taking care not to send them to hostile enemies via transport pod after which they will swarm our colony with roughly 60 people?" just store that sludge in your barn with your hay and megatardi handles the rest! We also had a couple of megawolverines and they were so tough they'd go out and kill megasloths for their meals.
Gator ranch sounds epic, as does the big cat sanctuary! I'm always scared to send people out to tame the agro animals but it's so worth it when it results in success. Few fleshy enemies can withstand the force of a nature-made killing machine. Exotic traders usually have dogs whenever we speak to them and it always results in heartbreak because "corgi 1 has died" due to wandering just outside the house during a raid/infestation/manhunter pack shortly after acquiring said corgi. I wish the exotic traders had more variety with the animals they're willing to trade, but thankfully nature provides cougars and panthers to make big cat dreams thrive!
When I tame the big carnivores I usually do it in teams of 3, minimum, depending on what I'm taming. The tamer might take some animals too, but if the animal goes aggro then they put him down. If you have a non-lethal weapons pack BTW this is a perfect spot to use it. If the animal isn't killed there is a chance you can tame him during recovery. That or set it free. Or eat it. You do you