Ridable Ostrich

MissDandy

Farmer
I feel like this idea doesn't necessitate a practical use. It would just be awesome. I love it!

AND you could put hats on it.

CScout

Sodbuster
I think a rideable ostrich would be a very cool thing for the island.

Then I wouldn't have to teleport the horse all the time.
I thought of that when I wrote the post, I just couldn't think of a good way to integrate it into the game since the ostrich is a barn animal.
Actually now that I think about it since the ostrich egg incubator is placeable, it probably wouldn't be so difficult. Good idea!

I thought of that when I wrote the post, I just couldn't think of a good way to integrate it into the game since the ostrich is a barn animal.
Actually now that I think about it since the ostrich egg incubator is placeable, it probably wouldn't be so difficult. Good idea!
Maybe getting a rideable ostrich could be a quest-reward so that you first have to train the ostrich. This way one gets a special ostrich which is not part of the barn-herd.
I could imagine a task for Marnie and in return she helps to train the ostrich.

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm not sure I want a mount for home and a mount on the island, though. I mean, when you get the "horse flute", then what? Does it summon the ostrich when you're on the island and the horse when you're at home?

For that reason, I think it'd be better to stick with one mount... and possibly have it be an unlockable upgrade to the stable? It could then allow you to interact with the building to select between mounts in that building. Perhaps the upgraded stable would also allow you to send your horse home instead of it only going home without you at the end of day? Perhaps the ostrich mount could be quicker, but skids to a halt too instead of instantly stopping like the horse does?

I mean, I get why folks would like having a mount on the island. The horse flute is literally the first thing I buy with my Qi gems... but with the horse flute currently being hidden behind you getting a certain number of golden walnuts and then doing a couple Qi quests to get the gems to afford it, making a mount available before you do those things would pretty significantly change the dynamics of how quickly you can get things accomplished in the early days/weeks of you being on the island. While I like the idea of riding around on an ostrich, I'm not sure I would like it being implemented as an easily-attainable mount on the island and/or only for the island.

I'm not sure I want a mount for home and a mount on the island, though. I mean, when you get the "horse flute", then what? Does it summon the ostrich when you're on the island and the horse when you're at home?

For that reason, I think it'd be better to stick with one mount... and possibly have it be an unlockable upgrade to the stable? It could then allow you to interact with the building to select between mounts in that building. Perhaps the upgraded stable would also allow you to send your horse home instead of it only going home without you at the end of day? Perhaps the ostrich mount could be quicker, but skids to a halt too instead of instantly stopping like the horse does?

I mean, I get why folks would like having a mount on the island. The horse flute is literally the first thing I buy with my Qi gems... but with the horse flute currently being hidden behind you getting a certain number of golden walnuts and then doing a couple Qi quests to get the gems to afford it, making a mount available before you do those things would pretty significantly change the dynamics of how quickly you can get things accomplished in the early days/weeks of you being on the island. While I like the idea of riding around on an ostrich, I'm not sure I would like it being implemented as an easily-attainable mount on the island and/or only for the island.
I think the "horse flute" should be a flute just for the horse.
Also I think the ostrich should not be "moveable". If you like to have one at GI you need another ostrich egg incubate there, same for the desert.
But you're right, an rideable ostrich should have a kind of stable as well. I think it should be an extra building - what brings to the question how to build on GI. Maybe more walnut-quests?

MissDandy

Farmer
I mean, when you get the "horse flute", then what?
Maybe, if ostriches were to become rideable, we would need an Ostrich Flute? The ostrich could be stationed on the island, but work just like the horse. I see what you're saying though, it would add a lot of confusion. And then you have an extra item to permanently carry in your inventory. I feel like the idea still has a lot of potential though.

Tekalh

Tiller
Small dumb idea. So what if the ostrich could be ridable similar to the horse. There would basically be no benefit to this in the slightest, I just love the image of riding an ostrich. If you could think of a practical use I'd love to know.
Mate, riding an ostrich wearing a fedora is all I ever wanted out of this farming game