Retriggering (deleted) Quests

levy

Farmhand
Basically, in line with a mostly console-control based issue further established in this thread, I think a neat addition would be to re-trigger quests in the game (especially the main-quests).
There are multiple ways something like this could be approached.
- installing a game-option where the Main quests simply cannot be deleted in the first place (sourced from a steam topic featuring with a similar problem)
- Using the spot in the community center after it's rebuild that looks similar to the blackboard at Piere's
- Triggering an option box for the quest when the original item in your Achievement log is examined (e.g. Note 10, or the letter you received with the quest)
- Keep the Quests active even after deletion from the Journal (like allowing for Linus basket to be found after the fact or Mr. Qi to be met even if the quest is no longer logged - if that is actually the CASE than I am sorry for making this topic but thus far I have no evidence to the contrary)

These are just some ideas, I'm sure you guys will have plenty of other ideas how something like this could be implemented too :)

It's a very big problem with the console controls on the switch (as they seem to auto-lock on the delete button or something) and even though mouse controls are more lenient, the linked Steam topic shows people having issues with this even on PC.
Btw, a tip for fellow players to avoid this on the Switch is to not pause the game with the Journal in the first place and just use the Home button, but hindsight is 20-20 and I dunno if other ports (like xbox or android) have such an option.

CrimsonCat

Greenhorn
I think it's a good idea. I play on PC and haven't misclicked yet but it feels like a big oversight to allow main quests to be deleted (if that is indeed possible). Especially the one where you go visit the wizard to drink the forest potion. If you delete that one, are you just forced to go the Joja route?

I think just not allowing main quests to be deleted is probably the best route. Making the journal entry disappear but keeping the quest active (like Linus' basket or Lewis' shorts) sounds like it'd get confusing - "did I already do this or not?"

Odin

Staff member
Especially the one where you go visit the wizard to drink the forest potion. If you delete that one, are you just forced to go the Joja route?
I don't think it's possible to cancel that quest like you can with some others

levy

Farmhand
I don't think it's possible to cancel that quest like you can with some others
If it's possible for this one, then that's a good sign for the other important quests, too :)

Of course I see that with any kind of "re-activation" option there might be an issue of abusing this failsafe to repeatedly do quests - and with some of them, it simply doesn't make sense (aka the Wizard quest doesn't need repeating and the Mr. Qui quest should not be repeatable - but the game should be able to check on whether or not the reward has been received once, I suppose)

Others though - like the Lewis Pants quest - I'd think would be hilarious if they spawned multiple times. xD
Another option to consider for the 'minor' friendship quests could be to just make them an annual thing (either statically or with the if-clause of the reward having not been received in the current game-state yet)

I think next to simply not making Non-Billboard-Quests not deletable this and the blackboard in the Community Center (aking to a "deleted quests recycle bin" feel like an option that could best be implemented on a technical level

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Others though - like the Lewis Pants quest - I'd think would be hilarious if they spawned multiple times. xD
a little bit off from the main point of the thread, but i do think this would be helpful since there's so many easter eggs you can do with his shorts. on the other hand, i get that it's once per save file so it's a little bit of encouragement to play multiple files

BlaDe

Farmer
There are other ways of getting the pants.

Craft a staircase and put it on as pants.
They can also be in crates in the dangerous mines.