Standard Farm Ranger's Pictorial Progression Plantation...or something...

LRangerR

Local Legend
Hello everyone.

So I've never really done one of these Valley Showcase things, so I decided to do a semi-progression log, where I take a screen of the farm each month and kinda just let the pictures speak for themselves mostly. However, I've done a couple things a bit differently in this farm.

1) I have restricted myself to not going into the mines nor fishing at all until I'm level 10 in the respective category.
2) This is something I do often but I pretty much turn my farm into a forest...on the standard map... I don't get all the perks of the forest farm but it produces MUCH more wood if done properly. But, there's not really an "improper" way to do a forest (aside from cutting all the trees down).

That being said, this farm, so far, has had quite a few difficulties. Being that I'm not going into the mines, I have to buy all the ore from clint himself. If you notice I do have charcoal kilns set up, which work perfectly with the forest, but not having easy access to ore means that the cost of upgrading a tool is almost multiplied by 2 for each one (i'll let you do the math if you want specifics, it's not that hard). That means that my Spring 1 farmhouse is most definitely out of the question, and by the end of summer I have only eaten Field Snacks and the rare Autumn's Bounty from the CC. No wonder my guy is exhausted all the time.

However, the fact that I have an Iron Axe at the end of Summer 1 i'll take as a small credit, considering how much iron and copper cost me (also if you look closely you'll see that I've got my Apple and Pom trees started at the end of Sum1, so that's a thing as well). But speaking of copper, it is much to my annoyance that it's been 2 seasons and the tapping grove that I started still hasn't matured yet. Very annoying... Anyways, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves and the discussion can take whatever course it desires. Cheers!

(I'll keep this OP updated with new pics as I post them. Ultimately, the pictures are intended to eventually be flipped through like one of those pictures books where you just flip the pages all fast and stuff and it creates a moving picture, but we'll see how that works out. Prior to this I did 2 years and i thought it looked pretty cool, so i figured I'd share this new farm with you guys.)

DudeSp1.png
DudeSu1.png
DudeAu1.png
DudeWi1.png
DudeSp2.png
Dude2Su.png
Dude2tAu.png
Dude2Wi.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

So I've never really done one of these Valley Showcase things, so I decided to do a semi-progression log, where I take a screen of the farm each month and kinda just let the pictures speak for themselves mostly. However, I've done a couple things a bit differently in this farm.

1) I have restricted myself to not going into the mines nor fishing at all until I'm level 10 in the respective category.
2) This is something I do often but I pretty much turn my farm into a forest...on the standard map... I don't get all the perks of the forest farm but it produces MUCH more wood if done properly. But, there's not really an "improper" way to do a forest (aside from cutting all the trees down).

That being said, this farm, so far, has had quite a few difficulties. Being that I'm not going into the mines, I have to buy all the ore from clint himself. If you notice I do have charcoal kilns set up, which work perfectly with the forest, but not having easy access to ore means that the cost of upgrading a tool is almost multiplied by 2 for each one (i'll let you do the math if you want specifics, it's not that hard). That means that my Spring 1 farmhouse is most definitely out of the question, and by the end of summer I have only eaten Field Snacks and the rare Autumn's Bounty from the CC. No wonder my guy is exhausted all the time.

However, the fact that I have an Iron Axe at the end of Summer 1 i'll take as a small credit, considering how much iron and copper cost me (also if you look closely you'll see that I've got my Apple and Pom trees started at the end of Sum1, so that's a thing as well). But speaking of copper, it is much to my annoyance that it's been 2 seasons and the tapping grove that I started still hasn't matured yet. Very annoying... Anyways, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves and the discussion can take whatever course it desires. Cheers!

(I'll keep this OP updated with new pics as I post them. Ultimately, the pictures are intended to eventually be flipped through like one of those pictures books where you just flip the pages all fast and stuff and it creates a moving picture, but we'll see how that works out. Prior to this I did 2 years and i thought it looked pretty cool, so i figured I'd share this new farm with you guys.)

View attachment 7649
View attachment 7650
It looks great so far! I'm excited to see the next one in a month!

LRangerR

Local Legend
Great idea. Excited to see more! I really love the Daily Screenshot mod for this purpose too. Its nice to go back and see how your farm morphed day by day or season by season.
That's pretty awesome. I didn't know a mod like that existed, but I feel that a day-by-day thing would be a bit too much. I had originally intended to do the beginning of each season, but i always forget on the 1st so the end of season works just as well.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm reveling in the sweet, sweet grassiness of the second Farm pic. The best reason to take the Space Boots off and wiggle toes while chasing frogs amongst the trees.

However I sense a wee risk of stubbed toes as that Steel Pick hasn't yet made it into your pack...

Dragonheardt

Planter
That's pretty awesome. I didn't know a mod like that existed, but I feel that a day-by-day thing would be a bit too much. I had originally intended to do the beginning of each season, but i always forget on the 1st so the end of season works just as well.
Yeah it is a bit much sometimes. It is fun to flip through the photos like a flipbook though. Just hold the right arrow key in Windows Photo apps.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I'm reveling in the sweet, sweet grassiness of the second Farm pic. The best reason to take the Space Boots off and wiggle toes while chasing frogs amongst the trees.

However I sense a wee risk of stubbed toes as that Steel Pick hasn't yet made it into your pack...
Yeaaaah that steel pick is a ways off. Gonna upgrade my watering can in winter as much as possible so i'm not sure when i'll have the funds for yon pick.

I'm going to eventually put trails in to all the regular spots, just haven't gotten around to it yet. And I'm definitely going to get a bunny coop and possibly a void chicken coop eventually, but that's quite a ways off as well.
Yeah it is a bit much sometimes. It is fun to flip through the photos like a flipbook though. Just hold the right arrow key in Windows Photo apps.
Yeah this is exactly what I want to do with the OP here in this thread. One of the interesting things about this is that when you flip through the pics (without any slide animation), you can see which trees have been around and for how long. The last time i did a forest like this I had one tree that had been around from the beginning and I was on year 3 (there is a method to how I harvest trees which keeps the forest randomized).

LRangerR

Local Legend
Hey guys,
So I finally got around to uploading my Autumn pic. Not a ton going on here at first glance, but there were a few things that happened on the last day of the season that were kinda important to me. 1) Chicken coop got finished, so as this picture was taken there are no chickens in it (Fimono now happily resides within), and 2) Abigail's stupid pumpkins finished on the very last day using deluxe speed grow. Carolyn spoils that girl. I also managed to get enough money to clear out those boulders, so now @Lew Zealand won't stub her toe anymore (don't worry Lew, the other ones that I missed have already been cleared out). Additionally, I've begun the Mahogany Reintroduction Project, and it has progressed since then into winter using Tree Fert everywhere I can on them.
DudeAu1.png

Anyways, I can't wait to share the Winter pic with you guys, and am looking forward to Spring 2. Hopefully I'll have the greenhouse finished before then but it's not looking good since I've barely been focusing on animals this entire time. Also a few project came up that really ate into my winter funds (watering can, etc), but with any amount of luck It'll be done soon. Hopefully the cartlady is nice to me.

Hey guys,
So I finally got around to uploading my Autumn pic. Not a ton going on here at first glance, but there were a few things that happened on the last day of the season that were kinda important to me. 1) Chicken coop got finished, so as this picture was taken there are no chickens in it (Fimono now happily resides within), and 2) Abigail's stupid pumpkins finished on the very last day using deluxe speed grow. Carolyn spoils that girl. I also managed to get enough money to clear out those boulders, so now @Lew Zealand won't stub her toe anymore (don't worry Lew, the other ones that I missed have already been cleared out). Additionally, I've begun the Mahogany Reintroduction Project, and it has progressed since then into winter using Tree Fert everywhere I can on them.
View attachment 7781

Anyways, I can't wait to share the Winter pic with you guys, and am looking forward to Spring 2. Hopefully I'll have the greenhouse finished before then but it's not looking good since I've barely been focusing on animals this entire time. Also a few project came up that really ate into my winter funds (watering can, etc), but with any amount of luck It'll be done soon. Hopefully the cartlady is nice to me.
It's looking awesome! I'm excited to see what Winter looks like! Btw I couldn't even finish Abigail's pumpkins, lol. (I applaud you) Wishing you the best luck with the traveling cart!

LRangerR

Local Legend
It's looking awesome! I'm excited to see what Winter looks like! Btw I couldn't even finish Abigail's pumpkins, lol. (I applaud you) Wishing you the best luck with the traveling cart!
Apparently if you plant them with deluxe speed gro the day caroline sends you the message they'll ripen right on time for the end of the season.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Hey guys,
So, I wanted to bring you the next two seasons at once this time, and there is fortunately a reason for that (i swear it's not just me being lazy...I think...).

DudeWi1.png

Not a ton happened in winter, I was mostly focused on Winter Forage farming, surviving the blue slimes in the Secret Woods (with moderate success), and seeding Mahogany trees in a few different places, mostly where the big boulder field used to be. As you can see, I expanded my Tapping Grove, and it's now producing an excess which I sell regularly and keep what I need. Oh, I also have a duck now. But one of the big projects that I had mentioned was, on the very last day of Autumn, the Cart Lady had 5 Cherry Trees. If you go back and look at the Autumn pic you'll notice I already had one planted, and after quickly mathing my funds, I told her to just take my money, because they were absurdly cheap (something like 1350 if i remember correctly). I also bought a chicken on that day as well, so as you can imagine my pocket book was almost squeezed dry. SO BECAUSE OF THIS, there is a fully grown Cherry grove on the last day of Winter, which has been pumping out Cherries all spring long.

Meanwhile, in Spring....

DudeSp2.png

I finished the Greenhouse fairly early into the season, and have since plopped Strawberries, Coffee, and whatever else i feel like growing in there, as well as about 15 Sweet Gem plants. Those suckers have eaten into my money a bit and not a single one has matured, but that's okay. Clint and Robin haven't been too demanding on my funds lately, so I've been throwing it mostly at the CC, I only have the 25k one left to finish, and I could actually finish it right now if I wanted, but that would leave me with only 3k to start Summer with, and I need my things.

That aside, I'm glad you guys got to see the Kale field in full bloom. I had thought of keeping it ready to harvest til the end of the season, just for the picture, but decided against it, and it happened anyways, so yay! \o/

Amongst the other things I plan on doing, I want to get a moo-cow pretty soon. I hate how Pierre nor Joja sells milk. Like, at all... So a barn is high on my priority list because I want to make a few recipes and round out my pantry. The other thing is a Shed or two, because I also want to make a cannery/brewery hybrid, and also a workshop of sorts. Pretty much just move all of those machines that are chilling into somewhere indoors (for those that are curious, I've got i think 15 kegs inside my kitchen. They kinda took over).

Oh I almost forgot, I've got 4 trees planted just below the coop and greenhouse. Two are summer fruit trees, the other two are mahogany. The Mahogany trees will eventually be tapped, because I DO anticipate a sap shortage eventually, even if it's not immediate. The fruit trees are just the last 2 trees I dont have (Apricot is above the pom tree near the tea bushes). Oh I also upgraded to Hardwood fences sometime during the winter bc why not.

Anyways, as always comments/questions are more than welcome. Thanks for stopping by guys.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Looks good! I like how your path down to the south entrance follows the same line as your fencing, it makes for a good divide on the farm.
Huh, i never noticed that. I suppose it's only semi-intentional though. I was just making the tapping grove out to roughly that spot, and the gate for the south fence follows the path directly down between the trellises. I'm not sure if i'm going to keep that particular line or not though, because the natural exit of the farm is right where the stump fire-lamp-thingy is (words. not. work...). I may keep it and make a small triangle that I'll fill with something right there, but I also hope to get some more pathing done in summer, which i've been meaning to do ever since I built the chicken coop. I'll just have to set aside a day to do it, or something. Part of the problem is I don't know what style of paths I want to put in/change into next. I kinda know what I want to do for the greenhouse, but that's as far as i've gotten.

One of the things that really has been challenging for me in this run though is the lack of refined quartz. You have no idea how much you take quartz for granted until you don't have it as a crafting item. That means if I don't get the nice sprinklers as a reward or from the Cart Lady, it's only the small 4 spot sprinklers for me, which help but I'm not a fan of. I'm slowly migrating the ones I have into the greenhouse to water the rare seeds that I've planted, but as you can see i've been using them for the ornamental flowers thus far.

Looks good! Love the cherry grove.
I know, it's so pretty. That's exactly why i was like "shutup and take my money you fiend," lol. Definitely glad i waited til spring to post these though.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Dude2Su.png
So, I was a little busy this Summer. Those rare seeds have really been a money maker, each of them making several times worth their investment at minimum. Unfortunately they don't benefit from any Farming perks, but they still have definitely been worth it. I've also started farming starfruits in the greenhouse, because I can.

I was also doing my best to keep Robin employed during the hottest season of the year, and had her work on several projects around the farm. I only have one cow, but the bottom left coop is going to eventually be filled with bunny rabbits. Btw, the more I stare at this farm, the more I think i want to turn it into an orchard farm.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Dude2tAu.png

Hey guys!

So, not a ton happened here in this season, but a few cool things did happen. Probably the most noticeable thing is I switched my barn and shed around, and also upgraded the latter. I also managed to get my hands on an Iridium Sprinkler and so that will now be my dedicated flower/honey spot. I also spent a not-insignificant amount of money getting the bunny coop operational and populated. Excitingly enough, I was finally able to get a windmill, so now i won't have to buy flour and sugar from Pierre's. Also, the starfruit crops and brewery are going swimmingly. I'm not saying i'm making ALL of my money from starfruits and wine, but they do contribute quite a bit at this point in time.

This time I actually did leave crops unharvested until the end of the season, if I wasn't going to plant something else in their spot. Mostly for the sheer purplage of the amaranth.

Anyways, I may have another update later tonight if everything goes well. ^_^
-LRR

P.S.- Bonus points if you can spot the Void Chicken, Racoon, Duck, and at least 2 Bunnies.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Totally a double post.

All sorts of cool stuff happened over the course of Winter. I mentioned somewhere else on here that I was thinking of putting orchards everywhere, and, well... i actually started it. I was actually really sad to cut back the forest, but if everything works out the way I planned (they're already not, see: mahogany trees in front of greenhouse), then I will leave the bottom right segment of the farm, and the area near the bunny coop as little "nature preserves" where I maintain the forest as I have always been. Additionally there might be a small area near the chicken coop/greenhouse that runs wild. I finished out the day, and talked to grampa who didn't give me the full 4 candles (only 2 or 3, i haven't checked yet D;), so I won't be getting that iridium cat statue, which is fine. I also had Robin install a fish pond (let the fishiness commence (if you remember, I've been refraining from fishing and mining, so goings have been very slow. I only recently learned how to make wild bait, and Linus also hooked me up with a maguro taco to make up for my lack of tuna in the community center)).
Dude2Wi.png

Lucky for me though, I was able to get my 5th and final seaweed off the beach sometime in late winter. I've been getting my algaes from fighting slimes in the forest. I have a golden axe, but man are those guys mean! As soon as Robin finished the pond i ran out and stuffed it full of snails. Soon I will have that oil press and become that much more self reliant from Pierre! \o/ Honestly the Cart Lady has been way more helpful than he has in this run.

Tuna and Sardines have been very elusive from her. I saw them both in either late fall and wasn't able to pick them up. Tuna popped around again and i overpayed immediately and stuffed it inside a cracked fish tank, because I can. And in all honesty, I know i said it somewhere else on the forums but I'm actually going to be cooking and gifting each of the villagers one of each of every dish (also because i can...and because I don't like using the wiki).

Key to this will be the fish pond, as i'll be breeding fish in there for the various dishes (I'm kinda dreading carp surprise).

Anyways, as you guys can see I'm kinda doing multiple things in this one run (mostly because I can, but also because I feel like it). It's been a very interesting run so far. I know my forest playstyle isn't for everybody, but I can definitely recommend setting similar restrictions on yourselves, no matter your playstyle it definitely ads a bit of a twist to the game.

Jayamos

Farmer
The autumnal pasturage is fabulous. And the princely amaranth.

I have an unshakable conviction that farm animals need shade in the heat of summer, so nature preserves by the coops works! I have been dragged unconscious out of the Secret Woods by a villager, so respect for your scything skills, or whatever farm implement wielding you do to keep those frost slimes at bay. That’s some impressive orcharding going on there, looking forward to seeing the next Spring installment!