Solved Playing on PC with someone on a Mac

Storm49

Greenhorn
I have a PC and my girlfriend has a Mac. If I get her Stardew, will we be able to play online together?

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, for those that do not know, Windows and Mac computers are almost interchangeable these days for many things. This is one of them. They are both PCs and if you are both playing on PC you can play together... with a couple caveats.

First, to play online with each other you will both need to purchase it from the same provider, for example if you both buy from Steam or you both buy from GOG.

Second, you don't need to play online and use Steam or GOG to connect your computers if you are sharing a LAN. If you will only be playing multiplayer on a LAN, it doesn't matter where either of you purchase.

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
For what it's worth, prior to 1.5.5, my friend and I were able to play together via Invite Code when they have the game on Steam/PC and I have it through GoG/Mac. The new update has caused some problems on my end (but theirs still seems to be working fine) and so I can't actually input an invite code for multiplayer. So instead we setup a LAN game and it worked fine.

Storm49

Greenhorn
Okay, for those that do not know, Windows and Mac computers are almost interchangeable these days for many things. This is one of them. They are both PCs and if you are both playing on PC you can play together... with a couple caveats.

First, to play online with each other you will both need to purchase it from the same provider, for example if you both buy from Steam or you both buy from GOG.

Second, you don't need to play online and use Steam or GOG to connect your computers if you are sharing a LAN. If you will only be playing multiplayer on a LAN, it doesn't matter where either of you purchase.
Thank you. Good to know. Unfortunately, we're still doing some long distance stuff so it's online only. So we have to make sure she gets Steam and it should work. Anything else I should know?

Storm49

Greenhorn
For what it's worth, prior to 1.5.5, my friend and I were able to play together via Invite Code when they have the game on Steam/PC and I have it through GoG/Mac. The new update has caused some problems on my end (but theirs still seems to be working fine) and so I can't actually input an invite code for multiplayer. So instead we setup a LAN game and it worked fine.
Thank you. Good to know.

imnvs

Local Legend
Thank you. Good to know. Unfortunately, we're still doing some long distance stuff so it's online only. So we have to make sure she gets Steam and it should work. Anything else I should know?
Besides that you'll need to connect on/through Steam? Well, technical stuff, just the basics, but I don't like assuming folks need that stuff explained.

You may also enjoy having a read of this thread: General MP Guide: What You Need to Remember When Playing Multiplayer Compared to Single