PC controls vs Mobile

GDawney

Sodbuster
I have been playing the mobile version for about 6 months now, and of course, I absolutely love it. I am playing on a Fire Tablet though, so Android OS but only sort of. I have never been able to Mod my mobile game because of that. So I finally decided to buy the PC version so I can play the Stardew Valley Expanded version, and add Mods and have all the fun!! ~~I have never been so frustrated in ALL MY LIFE (and I raised 4 very strong willed children!).

I am am having to completely relearn how to do very simple things. It took me 2 in-game days to figure out HOW TO GET OUT OF THE BED. Picking stuff up has been such a headache. Moving from place to place!! OMG how do you all stand it!! I spent about 90 minutes on my desktop before I ran back to my tablet--where I have accrued 170 hours of play time on my farm.

On my tablet, I just point to a spot on the map/screen and my little avatar runs to that point. How can I do that on my desktop? CAN I do that on my desktop, or do I just have to sit there pushing the button for every move? I am used to being able to click on an NPC who is moving, and my avatar will catch up to them and they start talking. HOW THE HELL do I THAT on my desktop?

I am excited to see the new features and updates and mods and things, but if I can't do the basic stuff I'll never be able to use all the great knowledge and experience I have packed away in my head.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

Reactions: Tom

Ereo

Helper
You have to use the keys to move, but you can click to harvest or use tools.

You can map the keys as you like them in the menu, for example I play without mouse and prefer using the arrow keys for movement.

You can also get a controller hooked up to your PC if that feels more natural than the keyboard.

GDawney

Sodbuster
You have to use the keys to move, but you can click to harvest or use tools.

You can map the keys as you like them in the menu, for example I play without mouse and prefer using the arrow keys for movement.

You can also get a controller hooked up to your PC if that feels more natural than the keyboard.
I have mapped the keys (really happy about that option), but it didn't occur to me to use arrow keys. I will have to rethink my positioning. What kind of a controller? How would I find something like that (key words, brand names?)

imnvs

Local Legend
Hold on... you can click on a spot on the screen... and your farmer just runs there???

WHAT?!?!

Okay... hold up... (takes a deep breath)... gimme a second... (another deep breath)... see, this is some [censored] [censored] [censored] mother-[censored] god [censored] [censored] wrapped up in the entrails of a [censored] [censored] [censored] with a wildebeest! And I know every PC player knows and understands exactly what I said there and agrees with me.

Though I do think we can fit more casks in our cellars than you can (when not playing on PC I mean).

Elenna101

Farmer
Hold on... you can click on a spot on the screen... and your farmer just runs there???

WHAT?!?!

Okay... hold up... (takes a deep breath)... gimme a second... (another deep breath)... see, this is some [censored] [censored] [censored] mother-[censored] god [censored] [censored] wrapped up in the entrails of a [censored] [censored] [censored] with a wildebeest! And I know every PC player knows and understands exactly what I said there and agrees with me.

Though I do think we can fit more casks in our cellars than you can (when not playing on PC I mean).
Yeah, I play on both PC and mobile and while I do think I'm more efficient with the PC controls (if only because I've spent a lot more time using them and I know all the hotkeys), tap to move is amazingly useful. Also on mobile you can pinch to zoom whenever you want, and on my tablet I can zoom out ridiculously far (as in, I can see most of the spiral floor of the mines from the entrance, although at that size it's hard to actually spot ladders).

On the other hand, I suck at all the "virtual button/joystick" options on mobile, so I just end up using auto-attack. Which, on one hand, my farmer reacts a whole lot faster than I do, but on the other hand they spend a lot of time fruitlessly swinging the sword just outside the hitbox of the enemy, and then the swinging animation is constantly going so they aren't moving forward when I want them too. Plus I still can't figure out how to do the special attack when I want to (hence the sword and not a club).
Also, WTF is with the farmer walking away when I'm trying to get them to cast a fishing rod.
Also also, the whole "auto-switch to the tool you want to use when you tap on a tree/stone" is super useful... until I scythe a bunch of baby trees when I wanted to put fertilizer on them, even though I was holding the fertilizer at the time.

And yes, mobile (and controller, I believe) can't interact with kegs/casks/etc that are diagonally adjacent to the farmer.

Lew Zealand

Helper

WHAT?!?!

Yeah, you should try mobile Stardew, the UI is pretty well thought-out. Here's something else:

It auto-chooses the right tool for harvesting, chopping, rock-breaking. IOW I'm not sure you can pickaxe your Ancient Fruit on mobile.

But we all know why: it's to make up for the Fishing and Casking

GDawney

Sodbuster

WHAT?!?!

OMG. My point exactly, I think. Well, $4I7

Elenna101

Farmer
Hotkeys? What hotkeys, and what do they accomplish?
Stuff I like includes pressing e to open the menu and say no in yes/no menus, pressing f to open the journal or skip cutscenes, pressing y to say yes in yes/no menus, and left shift key to buy 5 at a time. Also I use the number keys sometimes to switch between items. In particular, you can use the number key hotkeys to switch what you're holding even while you're paused, which lets you switch between food/weapons while paused if you're being swarmed by enemies.

Much later edit: Also, I really like being able to tab between rows of the inventory and use the mouse scroll wheel to switch between items in the inventory. I feel like it's a lot easier for me to change what I'm holding on PC, versus mobile. This may be partly a disadvantage of playing on a tablet where I can't reach all the items on the inventory without moving my hand a little, but even if I was on a phone, scrolling the inventory up and down to reach items in lower rows just takes longer than hitting tab.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much without tap-to-move. I've tried a few farm/village games where you have to move every step and it's so clumsy.

GDawney

Sodbuster
I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much without tap-to-move. I've tried a few farm/village games where you have to move every step and it's so clumsy.
I agree, it does feel clumsy. I am on my PC version of the game on days that I work (I work from home), so that I have something to do between calls that keeps my mind moving. Currently I have 16 hours put into this save file. I have over 700 on the save file that I play on my tablet

Elenna101

Farmer
On the other hand, on PC you can hold down two buttons and run through your field to harvest everything out plant seeds. On mobile, I have to tap every single plant. Definitely feels easier on PC to have huge fields.
This. You can also harvest and replace items in kegs/jars by just running past them and holding your mouse over the kegs/jars with left and/or right click held down, which feels a lot faster and easier than tapping every single one twice to take the item out and then put a new fruit or veggie in.

GDawney

Sodbuster
On the other hand, on PC you can hold down two buttons and run through your field to harvest everything out plant seeds. On mobile, I have to tap every single plant. Definitely feels easier on PC to have huge fields.
What's this now? What two buttons?

Elenna101

Farmer
Direction button and 'X'.
Or the direction button and right click. (X is automatically mapped to right click)

If you hold right click with the mouse not near your character, you'll automatically plant seed and harvest on the tile you're standing on, and then you just have to walk around over your crops to plant and harvest your field.

Perfepara

Greenhorn
Or the direction button and right click. (X is automatically mapped to right click)

If you hold right click with the mouse not near your character, you'll automatically plant seed and harvest on the tile you're standing on, and then you just have to walk around over your crops to plant and harvest your field.
I hope 1.5 update for mobile is also including the ability to hold the X button, so that I'm not tapping each tilled soil one by one for planting, as I have (and other mobile players too, i suppose) wide planting area.

I'm currently playing on Samsung tablet paired with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and I just wonder should I swap to bluetooth controller, will I have the hold X ability button or not? hate to waste money for controller if its not working the way i hope it is. Or is there the specific mod out there for it?

Thanks in advance and I'm really happy to play this game again, because I've played it a very long time ago, 2017 I think, on PC version but unfortunately it was the pirated one, lol

Boo1972

Farmer
Look, I went through the same thing when I switched from mobile to PC. If you want a laugh you can read my thread: http://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/what-have-i-done.3984/

It takes concerted effort to switch over, but I really prefer PC overall. It’s just going to take you awhile. I finally became competent on the PC after restarting the same day over and over, visiting an infested floor until I survived.

Oh, @Lew Zealand, I accidentally pick axed my first ancient fruit plant in my first ever farm on mobile. It absolutely can be done, at least by me.