What have I done?

Boo1972

Farmer
I’m stuck at home, reading about all the wonderful additions to SDV and wondering when mobile will get the update. But In The corner, mocking me, is my teenager’s gaming center. A pc made just for playing. A mouse with adjustable sensitivity. Heck, it even has a gaming headset. “To hell with it”, I think and download SDV to Steam. I eagerly pick the new farm layout and all the advanced options, smugly assuming I’m up for the challenge.

I am not up for the challenge.

It is, and this should have been obvious, so much harder to move on pc than mobile. I need to use both hands to do anything. I actually have to pick the tool I need instead of it automatically appearing in my hand. My middle aged mama reflexes cannot keep up. You can imagine what the mines are like. In 9 days, I’ve only made it to level 10. Green slimes and bugs killed me, y’all. GREEN SLIMES and BUGS! I am weeping.

At least I adjusted to fishing, which only needs one hand.

But the beach farm is so beautiful and peaceful. I absolutely love it. Seeing the valley on a larger screen has been a revelation. I foresee a greenhouse full of ancient fruit and star fruit and a booming wine empire. If I survive. Poor farmer Wren. I hope she makes it.

quirmzi

Sodbuster
Good luck! It's definitely difficult to switch to PC. Coming from other platforms, it feels strange to have to spread your left hand out for the keys and have the other lay on top of the mouse. Especially because, on both console and mobile, you're clutching something and mainly using your thumbs (and index fingers for console). It for sure makes you want to give up sometimes.

Case in point, I spent about 4.5 hours on PC spread out through a week or so, on a new save with tons to complete, then preceded to log in 12 hours on switch in 2 days doing essentially nothing. I will say, placing items into machines is definitely the worst part of console Stardew. (Rip to that one iridium goat milk I accidentally drank; you could've made some killer cheese)

But you got this! Keep at it, I'm sure the update it worth it. As for me, I'll wait and look on in envy at all the discussions with the spoiler tag.

I play on iPad and love it. I find the touch screen, tap to move, and auto combat absolutely perfect. The game is so mellow, and having to figure out controls would interfere with the feeling, almost like reading an engrossing novel or watching a movie. iPad is always last to get updates but I don't mind.

GreenMouse

Newcomer
There are controllers that have USB plugins. My mom and I both are PC players and that is how we play. Ours are wired but there are wireless options.

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you usually game on PC (I do), movement and keymapping in Stardew Valley are natural and consistent with most other games. But when I started playing on an iPad, the conveniences of it were very well thought out and I see why it's annoying to switch to PC when you're used to the portable or console control interface.

However I'm a bit of a keyboard nut so I much prefer the KB interface even after playing on touchscreen. Way back in HS & college, 2-player computer game options were generally restricted to one person using a joystick and the other a KB (no internet yet). And nobody wants the KB so I always used it, and got used to it as the KB is frequently more precise than other input devices. So to this day I prefer the KB except when forced to use something else, which is why I have 900 hours on Rocket League, playing on Keyboard only.

ecclamw

Cowpoke
My first few days on SDV were on my iPad mini and I became hooked but it frustrated me that I had to let my ipad charge...I wanted MOAR! So then I got it on Steam and I have been playing on my Mac. I have not been able to bring myself to play on my apple devices now that I have SDV on iMac screen. But it is important to note that this middle aged mama uses a gaming mouse and I love that I can go from pickaxe to sword in the mines with a quick press of a mouse button.

Quillmagic

Farmer
I’m relative ply new to PC and it took me a while to get adjusted to the controls (I mean, X any time I want to interact with something?) And I eventually got used to it. Best of luck on your new farm journey!

rippytrippy

Planter
i play on the switch lite, and i've never played it on any other system, but i like the gaming system experience with all the buttons on a close map to eachother if you see what i mean

Elenna101

Farmer
I started on PC and got really used to that, so mobile feels more awkward to me, but I definitely understand missing things like automatic tool switching.

A couple non-obvious tips for keyboard and mouse:
- Pressing E will bring up the pause/inventory menu, and pressing F will bring up the journal
- You can use the scroll wheel to switch between inventory slots at any time. I like to put my weapon(s) and pickaxe next to each other, so I can quickly switch between them just by pushing the scroll wheel once.
- Each inventory button is mapped to a hotkey (1-9, 0, -, and =). These are kinda annoying to use during regular play imo, but there's one really good use for them - you can use them to switch which slot you have selected while paused.
- Pressing Tab will switch between inventory rows. (You can remap this in the options menu if it's inconvenient.)
- Pressing Y will choose the "yes" option in a yes/no dialogue box, e.g. for eating food. For some reason N doesn't work for "no", but you can press E or Esc for no.

The first and third points above should hopefully help with dying in the mines less, as long as you have food. For example, if you're in the mines, say you have the sword selected, and you have food in inventory slot 9. If you're low on health, you can pause with E, press 9 to switch to the food, un-pause, and immediately right-click to eat. That lets you gain health with the game basically paused the whole time so enemies can't hit you.

Boo1972

Farmer
Thanks to @Eleanna101 and everyone else for the advice and kind words. I think my biggest mistake was hubris. I chose to get new CC bundles and have the ability to complete the CC on year 1, really not taking into account that I would need to adjust to a new way to play.

Day 14, its raining and my luck is neutral. I grab my 3 survival burgers and 4 cherry bombs (gifts from the sea) and head to the mines. Level 11 is infested. Ugh. I die, restart my day, grab more food and head back to the mines. Repeat. Repeat. Make it to level 14 and die. Repeat. Finally, I manage to squash the infestation. I ate every food item available to me, except for 2 survival burgers. And thanks to the cherry bombs I make it to level 15 without expending any more energy. I am not doing that again anytime soon.

Fortunately, salmon berry season is next. Farmer Wren is spending 3 days gallivanting through the forest gathering berries and ignoring the mines. She moved to the valley to escape her old corporate life. Why is she so set on recreating it here?

If you like the sensation of playing on console, you should buy a xbox controller to play on PC :)

I bought this one : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B06XB761HW and I'm very happy about it.

If you really want to play on your mobile device, you can use steam stream on mobile :
https://thenextweb.com/apps/2019/03...lay-your-games-on-a-phone-or-desktop-anywhere
I never tried it by myself, and I dont know if it is very comfortable. You should also be aware that it is not the equivalent of the mobile version so it will still plays different.