npc vs chest

imnvs

Local Legend
Are any retrieval methods planned for future updates if the destruction wasn't voluntary, similar to the Lost and Found Bin or Item-Retrieval from the Adventurer's Guild?
Unlikely. It's likely considered voluntary since you did put the bins there voluntarily... but if it makes you feel better, most folks have lost worse at one time or another.

Tukis J

Sodbuster
We should definitely have to have some guides where It's safe to place items... I don't trust screenshots, because after every update NPC's pathing slightly changes. We need an in-game guide! Or an option to turn off NPC's being destructive (yes, like in that MOD).
I purpose like in a recommendation I made that the if we have a good friendship with the wizard, he could show us a map of the villager paths

Ivy99999

Cowpoke
What if trees are planted in the villager's path? Don't the villagers path around then? What about the farm? Villagers don't destroy things placed there to my knowledge right?
Why can they path around stuff on the farm but not somewhere else?
Others have already answered your question but I'd like to recommend Dangerously Funny on YouTube if you want to see some videos of it. He has quite a sizeable SV list and a few of them demonstrate the pathing. He has at least one showing Pam vs trees on her way to the bus stop that will show you exactly what happens.

Kurachi84

Planter
I just thought about something, regarding pathing.
It may be easier to fix it, in case more areas and new pathing will come in future updates.
We always have to know paths now, and learn about them with each change to villagers' pathing.
If they'd not break anything, but walk through it, we'd need no new screenshots of new routings the villagers take.

Mods for a fix also need updates over time, so waiting for mods and waiting for new routing screenshots are both annoying.
If a mod gets dropped, then others need to update them, or it gets dropped permanently.
Same with screenshots, someone has to make them.

So a fix would help forever.
Them never touching chests, trees and such, will avoid any possible complications, and makes the mods unneeded, giving modders more time for other mods.
Plus not everyone can use mods.

Ideally npc paths would just become invalid locations for placing items
I still think that NPCs should kick stuff, similar to how players can kick chests around.
I love these solutions.

In the meantime, if you don’t trust the pathing maps that are available because of updates you can test the pathing with torches or by planting a bunch of pine cones.

There are a few places that I know for a fact no NPC will walk near. These are not always convenient spots but if you plant torches/ trees all around where you’d prefer your chest to be… by year two any saplings/ trees/ torches left standing are in a safe spot for a chest. Then I can move my inconveniently placed chest to the preferred spot. (This would only work for me as I don’t normally have a huge need for chests in highly trafficked places until later in the game.)

If it stresses you out that much then wait until one year after the community center opens too.

NEVEN

Greenhorn
Not knowing about NPC's destroying placed items, I've lost about 10-ish Lightning Rod because I placed them on the Pam's path to the bus station. Is there a way for me retreive these rods or are they lost forever?

Sinmenon

Planter
Not knowing about NPC's destroying placed items, I've lost about 10-ish Lightning Rod because I placed them on the Pam's path to the bus station. Is there a way for me retreive these rods or are they lost forever?
Hit them with an axe or pickaxe and you'll be able to retrieve them.

Now, I'm not sure about inside Robin's... and you've already figured out Clint's and the mines. So, Robin's... as I said, I'm unsure about inside, but outside? People have handily created a map of all the places it is safe to put stuff outside in the mountains, which is where Robin's is located, and posted it to the Wiki. If you'd like to see, here is a handy link for you: https://stardewcommunitywiki.com/File:Pathing-Mountain.jpg
This is a very useful guide! I'd also recommend avoid placing chests in front of the garage, Sebastian has a heart event right in front of it. I don't know if it causes any glitches but better safe than sorry

Some important items can later be retrieved at the lost and found at the Mayor's house, but it is usually only tools. Some items like the quest items are lost forever (like how it happened to me, rip). If you are playing on computer I recommend this mod.

imnvs

Local Legend
If you discover them the day she ran over them, you can collect them. If you don't get there by the time you go to sleep they will be gone by the time you get back.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
We should definitely have to have some guides where It's safe to place items... I don't trust screenshots, because after every update NPC's pathing slightly changes. We need an in-game guide! Or an option to turn off NPC's being destructive (yes, like in that MOD).
If you want a guide rather than screenshots you could do so yourself.

It is a very tedious task with little gain.

Another way to overcome this problem is to permanently trap npcs inside their rooms with chairs.

Ereo

Helper
Lightning rods only work on the farm, so it doesn't make sense to put them around the map.

Irreplaceable items will show up in Lewis' lost & found, others disappear over night.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Question: Has anybody tried to place solar panels at GI? Does this work??
I had one on GI and it dropped batteries as expected. It would be weird for lightning rods to do anything there (lots of rain, no storms) but *really* weird if solar panels didn't. Of course, the rules of SDV are not the rules of the real world, (see again re months old fish from your fridge making a successful fishpond) but in this case, it applies.