npc vs chest

pokebreeder25

Newcomer
so i placed a chest next to robin's house and filled it with building items so structure buildings and upgrades. the next day the chest was gone and the items inside where all over and gliched into the side of the walls. so i placed it close by. then i spot abigail walking to the chest and guess what happened. she walks through it and causes the chest so go poof and all the items inside pop out and most get glitched into the rock wall. can this get fixed in a future update please? i already lost a good amount of items because of this.

pokebreeder25

Newcomer
the 3 places i want to place them is one by robin's shop, the blacksmith's shop, and the mines. so far robin's place is the only risky one

imnvs

Local Legend
There is a concept called "pathing". It's what routes the NPCs take when living their lives. They have schedules, and they go places based on those schedules. If they walk through an item placed somewhere outside the farm, it will be destroyed. Containers that are destroyed spill their contents, and if those contents aren't picked up, they are lost.

Now, I'm not sure about inside Robin's... and you've already figured out Clint's and the mines. So, Robin's... as I said, I'm unsure about inside, but outside? People have handily created a map of all the places it is safe to put stuff outside in the mountains, which is where Robin's is located, and posted it to the Wiki. If you'd like to see, here is a handy link for you: https://stardewcommunitywiki.com/File:Pathing-Mountain.jpg

Ereo

Helper
My chest with building materials is placed left of the tree in front of Robins house. Nobody walks there.

But in general, look up the pathing maps when you want to place items outside the farm.

I doubt this issue it's getting fixed.

The characters can't deviate from their paths. If you play a ten year farm, or even a hundred year farm, they will still walk the exact same paths at the same times. Items you place simply can't exist there. Elliot will even destroy clams in his path on the beach.
If you're uncertain whether someone will walk through a spot and destroy something valuable, you can run a test. Place a less valuable item, like a jack o lantern, in the spot you are considering. If it never disappears, that spot is safe. Some of the pathing maps were created this way, by filling an area with jack o lanterns and observing where the characters have walked.

lazyroll

Tiller
We should definitely have to have some guides where It's safe to place items... I don't trust screenshots, because after every update NPC's pathing slightly changes. We need an in-game guide! Or an option to turn off NPC's being destructive (yes, like in that MOD).

BlaDe

Farmer
Since 1.5. I believe you need to have a slot with nothing in it selected, then spam left click.

Funnily enough, prior to 1.5 this technique could be used to use a chest to pass out very fast.

LRangerR

Local Legend
It's the same way you used to accidentally pick up things like light posts and preserve jars and stuff prior to 1.5. As blade said, just make sure you have nothing selected in an empty slot and keep pressing the button when you hear the empty "clink" sound and then your machine will get picked up, or, your chest will get kicked a tile (or 2, sometimes. not quite sure how that one works but i've done it before.)

XekolaXo

Newcomer
What if trees are planted in the villager's path? Don't the villagers path around then? What about the farm? Villagers don't destroy things placed there to my knowledge right?
Why can they path around stuff on the farm but not somewhere else?

XekolaXo

Newcomer
What if trees are planted in the villager's path? Don't the villagers path around then? What about the farm? Villagers don't destroy things placed there to my knowledge right?
Why can they path around stuff on the farm but not somewhere else?
I just feel like there are too many uncertainties regarding villager paths and there definitely should be another solution for that.

Ereo

Helper
Villagers will walk through anything in their path that you put there, including trees.

No villager ever walks on your farm, they just teleport to the front door when they visit.

levy

Farmhand
RIP my 6(!) Worm Bins that apparently stood in someone's way and were just gone 2 days after I had moved them to the beach. :(
Sadly no infinite bait spill to go along with it.

Are any retrieval methods planned for future updates if the destruction wasn't voluntary, similar to the Lost and Found Bin or Item-Retrieval from the Adventurer's Guild?