Solved No Sound At All (vanilla Stardew Valley)

So I started playing Stardew a few months ago. Back then I had no problems, but I stopped playing and now I've come back to the game and it has no sound at all. I tried everything, restarting the game, restarting my pc, reinstalling the game, starting with administrator changed audio devices, tried troubleshooters, tried combinations of several screen sizes and sound combinations, other games and there sound, starting the game via steam, verifying the game via steam, starting the game via gforge, but nothing works. The game just doesn't produce any sound. This can be seen in my volume mixer. I'm out of options and just can't play the game without sound. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Test Farm 5.png
Test Farm 4.png
Test Farm 3.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Have you tried to test the integrity of the game from steam?
If not, where did you buy your game month ago?
Yes, I tried verifying the game integrity via steam (see image how I did it), first thing I did in fact. By reinstalling the game several times I would think the game is also correctly and intact installed, so I'm still at a complete los.

Attachments

Is SV the only Steam game that does not have a sound?

Could you follow this instruction? –give a try.

Yes I tried other games from Steam and games from different platforms, they have no sound problems at all. Stardew is the only one with this problem. I saw and tried the things in this video before and it sadly was of no help... any other ideas?

Yes I tried other games from Steam and games from different platforms, they have no sound problems at all. Stardew is the only one with this problem. I saw and tried the things in this video before and it sadly was of no help... any other ideas?
While I was doing some research, a lot of people suspected it's the XNA framwork.
Could you tell me what type of windows are you using?
Have you upgraded the Microsoft XNA 4.0?
Could you try to upgrade it and report back to me?
Also, most importantly could you play as admin?

XNA

I have provided for you the latest Direct X

Please report back, if it works or not.

While I was doing some research, a lot of people suspected it's the XNA framwork.

XNA

Damm man, it was indeed the XNA Framework 4.0 that was faulty/buggy. After using the link for the XNA Framework download, reinstalling the framework and restarting my pc, the game had sound again. Thank you so much! I would've never come up with this. xD

DampishEye

Greenhorn

XNA

It's really too sad that this doesn't work for me. I cannot imagine what else could be causing this issue. I've also had this problem for almost two months now and like Ruben, I tried everything and nothing worked. I thought this would be what could finally fix it seeing as it worked for Ruben, but unfortunately, it didn't.

EDIT: So after looking into the 1.5.5 patch notes and using the compatibility mode beta, I've come to the conclusion that this is a problem related the switch to Monogame. As the compatibility mode uses XNA, and functions, which also fits with the fact that the sound stopped working after the 1.5.5 update. I hope a way to fix this is found.

Last edited:

Purake

Greenhorn
It's really too sad that this doesn't work for me. I cannot imagine what else could be causing this issue. I've also had this problem for almost two months now and like Ruben, I tried everything and nothing worked. I thought this would be what could finally fix it seeing as it worked for Ruben, but unfortunately, it didn't.

EDIT: So after looking into the 1.5.5 patch notes and using the compatibility mode beta, I've come to the conclusion that this is a problem related the switch to Monogame. As the compatibility mode uses XNA, and functions, which also fits with the fact that the sound stopped working after the 1.5.5 update. I hope a way to fix this is found.
Thanks for mentioning the compatibility mode beta. I had this exact issue, and using the beta gets the sound working. I hope there's a patch for this at some point, but it's nice to have a way to be able to hear the game again for now.