New player questions

alrhuff

Tiller
What is the recommended gear for taking on the Prismatic Slime? I finally found the darn thing, and promptly got murdered. 🤦‍♂️ Mined the rock out of the way, it charged me as expected, taking about half my HP (not expected!), and as I often do I had UI facing issues trying to attack it. In hindsight, should have tried a bomb... But it's just a slime, how hard can it be?? (Clearly famous last words in this game... 😛). Current weapon is the Steel Falchion; it will be quite a long time before I can afford the Lava Katana.

I'm starting to think that most of those Special Order quests are endgame content that I should ignore until Y3 or Y4 or something...

alrhuff

Tiller
How did you even find the slime? I've gone on this quest a number of times an never even seen it! What's the secret? Do you visit the same floor again and again or what?

Worblehat

Planter
Yeah, I was doing it on level 5, as suggested by the wiki, but any floor ending in 5 will do. Elevator in, look for slime changing color, elevator out. IIRC I found it on the second day of doing that routine. Tedious, but RNG is what it is.

Ereo

Helper
I don't like repetitive tasks, so instead of going back to the same level over and over, I go down the easy levels of the mine. Take some staircases and bombs, and if you have large floors, zoom out or screenshot to check if there are any slimes at all. If there aren't, just go to the next floor.

imnvs

Local Legend
That strikes me as odd. Now I'm curious about the code behind it.
Well, it's more about the fact that on those floors are fishing levels and treasure chests, so on those floors it is super unlikely to find a prismatic slime. If you're picking at random, pick one that ends in a 5 because it's guaranteed to just be a wild level that happens to have an elevator.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Well, it's more about the fact that those floors fishing levels and treasure chests, and on those floors it is super unlikely to find a prismatic slime. If you're picking at random, pick one that ends in a 5 because it's guaranteed to just be a wild level that happens to have an elevator.
Ah okay, I get what you're doing.

DesertBoots

Farmhand
If there's a way to eat in mid-combat without being completely helpless, I'd love to know about it!
My favorite technique is to allocate weapons in slots 2-3-4 on one row, bombs in the next row, and food in the third row. Tab thru to get to food fast. If you have food underlaying whatever weapon you are using you are just a couple keystrokes from consumption without taking too long.

I also top up anytime I'm at about 50% as I exit one floor and start the next.

DesertBoots

Farmhand
I didn't see a thread for amusing anecdotes, so I'll put this here because it's just too good not to write down: I was checking the trash in town, which is a perfectly normal thing that normal people do around here. Found a ruby in Evelyn & George's trash. Checked the quest board at Pierre's - Alex would very much like a ruby right now. Hmm, what exactly was he doing with his grandmother's jewelry?? 🤣
OMG *Alex!*

Worblehat

Planter
I'll revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

Are there efficient solutions for the Fragments of the Past (100 bone fragments) or Juicy Bugs Wanted (100 bug meat) special orders? Or are those both brute force, spend all week in the mines and hope to get enough drops, type of quests? For Fragments of the Past, I see the wiki says that there are Bone Nodes on Ginger Island - are those common enough and productive enough to be a solution?

My hope is that there's some option that I haven't seen, much like the mahogany grove solution to Robin's Project. 🙂

While I'm reviving this thread - I'm thinking of selling almost all my animals on Winter 1. The pig won't be doing anything for the winter anyway, and I'm already at the point where cheese and mayonnaise are not significant contributions to my income. I might keep the dinosaur and the rabbit, since I just got the dino, and more cloth might be handy if I decide to screw around with the sewing machine some more. Is this mass sell-off a terrible plan that I would soon come to regret? I haven't looked in any detail about what one actually has to do on Ginger Island (still slowly acquiring the iridium for Willy's anchor...) so I don't know if chickens, a cow, goat, or duck are relevant for anything there.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I usually just go to the skeleton floors of the mines for bones, and mutaint bugs lair for bug meat.

Most of the big board orders aren't worth their reward though, honestly.

Elenna101

Farmer
For Fragments of the Past, the bone nodes on Ginger Island can definitely give you a decent chunk of the fragments, especially if you've let the bone nodes accumulate for a while.

For Juicy Bugs, I suggest repeatedly checking 15 and 25, then resetting by going to floor 0 and repeating. You get monster spawns pretty fast that way - I got that quest done in about a day, although I also had the burglar ring.
Unfortunately this doesn't help as much for Fragments of the Past, since not many monsters seem to spawn on floor 75 due to its shape. For that one I think the best way is to start on either 70 or 75, kill all the enemies and break rocks that are on your way to keep going down, but if you're having a lot of trouble finding a ladder on a floor just go back to floor 0 and start over instead of wasting a ton of time looking for a ladder.

Obviously you want to have a good enough weapon to kill the monsters quickly, and burglar ring and monster musk will help quite a bit if you have them.

Selling the animals should be fine, you don't need them for anything in particular on Ginger Island. The duck might be slightly useful for gifting duck feathers to the new NPC on the island, but IMO there are better options. One thing I will note is that if you want the "shipping everything" achievement, make sure you've shipped a regular and large egg of both colours, regular and large cow and goat's milk, and duck egg and feather.
You might eventually (extremely late-game) get a couple other animals on Ginger Island, so you might prefer to keep the coop and barn around. Depends how annoying you think it would be to buy them from Robin again.

EDIT: Right, yeah, and mutant bug lair can give you some bug meat. It seems to reset kinda slowly though.