New player questions

Ereo

Helper
Fibre seeds can also be useful if you want to keep your fields tilled at the end of the season.
My fibre usually goes into grass starters and it really disappears quickly, but of course you can also just buy them.

Worblehat

Planter
What is the recommended gear for taking on the Prismatic Slime? I finally found the darn thing, and promptly got murdered. 🤦‍♂️ Mined the rock out of the way, it charged me as expected, taking about half my HP (not expected!), and as I often do I had UI facing issues trying to attack it. In hindsight, should have tried a bomb... But it's just a slime, how hard can it be?? (Clearly famous last words in this game... 😛). Current weapon is the Steel Falchion; it will be quite a long time before I can afford the Lava Katana.

I'm starting to think that most of those Special Order quests are endgame content that I should ignore until Y3 or Y4 or something...

Shart

Planter
What is the recommended gear for taking on the Prismatic Slime? I finally found the darn thing, and promptly got murdered. 🤦‍♂️ Mined the rock out of the way, it charged me as expected, taking about half my HP (not expected!), and as I often do I had UI facing issues trying to attack it. In hindsight, should have tried a bomb... But it's just a slime, how hard can it be?? (Clearly famous last words in this game... 😛). Current weapon is the Steel Falchion; it will be quite a long time before I can afford the Lava Katana.

I'm starting to think that most of those Special Order quests are endgame content that I should ignore until Y3 or Y4 or something...
I didn't realize that prismatic slime is that strong, I know it has a lot of hp but I didn't pay attention to the damage it dealt.
I suggest bringing plenty of food like salad and just eat those while killing the slime with your steel falchion.
If it's still too hard for you, just skip the quest for the time being until you get better weapons.

imnvs

Local Legend
What is the recommended gear for taking on the Prismatic Slime?
I can not recommend gear, but I will recommend a tactic...

First, if it is behind rocks, use your slingshot filled with explosive ammo to shoot him. It will destroy all the rocks, allowing access, while you're across the room.

Second, move up on him. Smack him back, ideally against a wall or into a corner. Move up and keep swinging. You can juggle a single enemy (that isn't resistant to knockback) against a wall pretty easily with some practice.

Worblehat

Planter
eat those while killing
This sounds like a mechanic I'm not aware of. The way I've been eating food (giant stack of salmonberries, but I have plenty of other options in chests, can make pretty much anything that doesn't use Y2 ingredients at this point) is to select that inventory slot, right click, confirm that yes I want to eat it, wait through the "toss into mouth" eating animation, repeat as needed. Which is very much not something that I can do in combat, since the sword is no longer the active item in my inventory, and although the game pauses for parts of that process, it does not pause for all of it. There were times during my shadow brute encounters mentioned earlier where I beat a brute and frantically tried to retreat and eat enough food to recover before the next set of monsters arrived. They were able to close the distance by 1-2 spaces per eating animation, as I recall.

If there's a way to eat in mid-combat without being completely helpless, I'd love to know about it!

Explosive ammo - sounds useful. I'll need to gain 3 levels of Combat, and reach a point where iron and coal aren't urgently needed for other things, so that's a good benchmark to work towards before trying this again. Thanks, both of you!

Pinning a slime against the wall is my usual tactic, but the geometry didn't really allow it this time. Maybe I could have mined out different rocks to give us access to each other in a way that would have allowed it.

Shart

Planter
This sounds like a mechanic I'm not aware of. The way I've been eating food (giant stack of salmonberries, but I have plenty of other options in chests, can make pretty much anything that doesn't use Y2 ingredients at this point) is to select that inventory slot, right click, confirm that yes I want to eat it, wait through the "toss into mouth" eating animation, repeat as needed. Which is very much not something that I can do in combat, since the sword is no longer the active item in my inventory, and although the game pauses for parts of that process, it does not pause for all of it. There were times during my shadow brute encounters mentioned earlier where I beat a brute and frantically tried to retreat and eat enough food to recover before the next set of monsters arrived. They were able to close the distance by 1-2 spaces per eating animation, as I recall.

If there's a way to eat in mid-combat without being completely helpless, I'd love to know about it!
It's just a regular mechanic like what you explained, there's no secret trick or anything like that.
I suggest that you press 'menu' (if you're playing on PC, the default is ESC or e) button to change inventory slot from sword to food and vice versa.

imnvs

Local Legend
When you eat mid-combat, time pauses while you eat. It doesn't while you're selecting the food, but if you enter your menu, you can change which slot is selected... then you leave the menu and instantly eat the food selected, and while you're eating, you click with your mouse on the item slot for your weapon... and you're good to go when time resumes.

Worblehat

Planter
How critical is it to remember to put down grass starter on Winter 28? I forgot (obviously) and there was only a small patch of natural grass on Spring 1. I don't have a good sense of how much grass the animals eat each day, since they never made a visible dent in the Year 1 sea of grass. On the other hand, I see that the wiki considers planting grass starter on Winter 28 to be a bug: "Any grass patches on the Farm on Winter 28 will multiply up to 40x each on Spring 1". Not sure what the correct approach is, just a few grass starters on Winter 28 or a couple dozen (?) on Spring 1; if that truly is a bug one assumes it will be patched at some point and I shouldn't get in the habit of using it.

Or will the naturally occurring grass actually suffice for six animals? The patch is basically the area south of the mushroom cave and east of the greenhouse, probably 15-20 spaces total.

Ereo

Helper
No matter whether I put down grass in winter or spring, I always have to refill at some point. Usually at least twice in a year.

Salty1

Planter
Or will the naturally occurring grass actually suffice for six animals? The patch is basically the area south of the mushroom cave and east of the greenhouse, probably 15-20 spaces total.
Animals only really eat one tile per day.

If you only have six animals, they won't eat through it right away, so I feel like having starter grass down immediately isn't a huge issue. The question is more one of sustainability - grass grows based on probability and opportunity. For that reason, I'd suggest not just creating a dense, pure patch of grass. Just go ahead and run around in zig-zags or create some straight lines of grass. The more space it has to grow around in any one direction, the more likely it is to outgrow the rate of consumption and not force you to put down more grass/buy more hay yourself.

Depending on the space you have for grass to grow and the amount of animals you have, it can be very important to put down grass in winter. I have a save that mostly focuses on animal production and they chew through that stuff quick! In this instance, it doesn't necessarily sound like an issue.

Quick tip, if you place a fence post or other such item like a statue on a square growing grass it will trap some so that your animals will not eat all of it. This allows it to continue to multiply from that spot. Just in case you think they might eat it all and don't want to constantly be buying more :)

LRangerR

Local Legend
How critical is it to remember to put down grass starter on Winter 28? I forgot (obviously) and there was only a small patch of natural grass on Spring 1. I don't have a good sense of how much grass the animals eat each day, since they never made a visible dent in the Year 1 sea of grass. On the other hand, I see that the wiki considers planting grass starter on Winter 28 to be a bug: "Any grass patches on the Farm on Winter 28 will multiply up to 40x each on Spring 1". Not sure what the correct approach is, just a few grass starters on Winter 28 or a couple dozen (?) on Spring 1; if that truly is a bug one assumes it will be patched at some point and I shouldn't get in the habit of using it.

It really depends on your farm layout, and how many animals you have. If you're the type of person to heavily pave over most of their farm and have a small field for your animals, it's more important to have lots of grass for them, or you can use the "feeder" approach as well that @BringsTheSnow mentioned. However, if you have large unused plots then it's less of a problem. If you're that concerned about it, you can always keep your animals inside for a few days while your fields grow and just live off of the leftover hay/hay from Marnie's for a little while.

(Just saw that you have 6 animals.) As I said above, it depends on where your Barn/Coop is at. There have been some days where my animals eat hay because they couldn't find grass, even though there was a giant field at the other end of the farm.

imnvs

Local Legend
he said he is on level 90 in the mines. He cant have been to skull cavern before reaching level 120 .
Fair, but at the same time, you could have substituted "Mines" for what I said and the same advice would apply. I would argue, even if it was a bit of a spoiler, most newer players would just assume it is something similar to the Mines that they will eventually unlock, so the same advice applies. I don't think a brief mention of it was so bad... so can we maybe agree to let this go so that extra extra attention isn't brought to it now?

Worblehat

Planter
Not much new; things are going pretty smoothly by now. Two minor questions though:

1. Is there any way to use a mini-obelisk on a horse? The wiki pages for the full-size obelisks explicitly say that they can't be used from a horse, but the mini-obelisk wiki page doesn't mention it. If there is a way to do it, I haven't figured out how, though. So I might need to rethink my mini-obelisk placement. Before I got the Stable I set them up to basically make the Bus Stop and Cindersap Woods adjacent.
2. Truffles - what counts as "uncovered tiles"? Is grass enough to prevent a truffle from appearing on a tile? Despite my earlier worries, the traditional Sea of Grass is back as big and green as ever. 🙂 But as best I can tell the pig did not produce a truffle on the most recent day it was outside, which shouldn't be possible according to the wiki...

Elenna101

Farmer
1. I haven't spent a ton of time trying it, but my guess would be that it's not possible. Unfortunately, horses and any kind of teleportation (minecarts, obelisks, totems) are pretty inconvenient to use together. Eventually (quite late-game), you can get an item that lets you summon your horse from anywhere, which helps quite a bit with that issue.

2. Yes, grass is enough to prevent truffles. It does work kind of weirdly though - I've had truffles spawn on grass-covered tiles that were right next to empty tiles, presumably because the pig was standing on the empty tile and it made a truffle spawn beside it. So you can try searching for truffles on the edge of your sea of grass, they can be kinda hard to see there. But as far as I know you can't get a truffle when the pig is standing on grass, so you can't get a truffle spawning in the middle of a bunch of grass. Large amounts of grass definitely do seem to decrease the amounts of truffles found - I always seem to get more in fall when my grass has been eaten back a bit.

imnvs

Local Legend
1 - There is not. No teleportation/transport allows you to bring the horse, so yes, you need the late-game item Elenna mentioned. (When I get to the place where it can be acquired, it is always, ALWAYS my first thing acquired there.)

2 - I've had a pig not find truffles quite a few times. It's annoying. Having a sea of grass is great, but the pig needs tiles without grass, yes. I try not to plant grass too close to the barn and then the animals will usually keep it from growing too close if you have enough of them. I have 21 animals on my beach farm and the grass never runs a risk of taking over or needs me to cut some down for the pigs to have space.