Need nautilus shell for sturgeon

Anhaga

Rancher
Everyone was ready to drop the topic until you posted, or so it seemed, btw.
It's a topic that needs to be hashed out if we're going to be a welcoming community, and honestly, some of us do only really post on the weekend anyways--I'm not going to let "well we stopped talking about it before you had the time to be on the forum" stop me from contributing. It's not like a necro'd a thread 3 months old.

At any rate.

It's implying to new players that being manipulative is okay
"being manipulative"? Of what? The game mechanics that CA has left in? And why, pray tell, isn't it "okay" for me to play the game as I want, taking advantage of game mechanics that CA must have left in for a reason?

This is my point. In general, the SDV community is really open and welcoming to everyone regardless of their playstyles. I don't like powergaming and speed runs myself, but I'm not going to even imply that the people who prefer to play that way are somehow playing the game "wrong." They're playing it the way that makes it fun and satisfying for them. Likewise, it sets my teeth on edge when my kids just meander through the game, not really doing anything directed. But it's their saves, so that's the right way to play for them. I'm not going to tell them that they're wrong and try to shame them into playing differently.

That is an ethic that all of us experienced players should hold to here, as well. Welcome the newbies and don't tell them that they're doing it wrong, even if you feel like a particular way of playing is completely contrary to your own philosophy of gaming. We all come from different places, different games, different lives. One of the beauties of SDV is that it is a particularly forgiving and flexible game that does not force you to play in a particular style. As a result, there's no wrong way to play. Period. Passing judgment on others' decision to use day resets to change what they get in the game mail in their own game is really contrary to not only this community, but also to the overall flexibility of the game.

BlaDe

Farmer
negative stigma i may have had was directed at Blade's attitude
May I ask what attitude you saw?

It can be hard to navigate topics like this with just text, I feel like I have been respectful in this thread, but I can appreciate that it may not have come across as such at points. I would like to know where these points are so I can adjust for next time.

LRangerR

Local Legend
May I ask what attitude you saw?

It can be hard to navigate topics like this with just text, I feel like I have been respectful in this thread, but I can appreciate that it may not have come across as such at points. I would like to know where these points are so I can adjust for next time.
I've already told you, and it's a moot point as i refuse to retrace the same ground here.
At any rate.
You're very angry

BlaDe

Farmer
No you haven't, or at least I haven't picked up on it. I am sincerely asking.

You may disagree with the content, but you have never addressed, and I have never intended attitude (much like how you mentioned your first post was supposed to be tongue in cheek)

Ok I'm gonna go and explain a few types of cheating/rngmanip/modding

Modding in or of itself is not always bad. Adding content like story mods in skyrim was great. Adding more adulting situations while icky and bizarre if that's your thing ok. You want horse armor fine. Now when in crosses over and forces favorable outcomes like the item drop maps that becomes a cheat which often will sour your gaming experience. Examples are people complaint diablo 2 was too easy but they were using hex editor trainers to give god tier drops to a level 1 character and they walk away for a real challenge.

Cheating itself may not be bad. Let's say your the child of a baptist family in a pentacostal community. Your parents bought you that totally hip new game pokemon red on your gameboy. You take your gameboy to school expecting to trade your epic growlithe for the vulpix not in your game...... No body is playing Pokemon because it's the devil. So now you got a pokemon game with only 136/152 of the pokemon. So there are two routs you can take either play revelations demon slayer(it's named after a bible chapter how bad could the parents think it is) or use a game genie/shark to allow you to encounter the blocked content. Sorry if that seemed a little to personal.

Rng manipulation. In some games this is a mechanic the dev plans on people using like ruby weapon in ff7. It has a few commands it uses to fling members out of your battle til it's over. Going into the fight with a character with auto phoenix on death and two dead characters. This causes the rng for the banish mode to be disabled because of only one character left and allowing you to read the other two characters in the process. Is it a cheat absolutely did the developer intend for this hmm max damage per hit is 9999 and the boss had 2mil hp so yeah one character would be dead long before that even at max level that's around 200 swings. The other method was a max chain of knights of the realm and do 12x9999x3 for each character in your group. Do yeah some devs have this planed as a scum save mechanic. Now for the bad a player that mods the rng table to turn a rare event into a common one. Example pokemon shines. The chance encounter rate was 1/1032 but some mods allow this to be done at a 1/4 or all the time. Now they feel happy with their shiniest and in a closed game that would be fine they only tampered with cosmetics. However when global trade became a thing people began to trade unstable hex modded pokemon that could delete another person's save. Or let's say they do the a+b+(down)=guarantee catch. Well the game looses it's challenge and has a good chance of being discarded or worse his friends find out that he was doing that and alienate him from the group.

Modding of save files/rngmanip/glitching is all cheating. It is however enjoyable to others and generally accepted as long as it's in a single player, or multiplayer if the group is ok (item dupe minecraft original). However when it diminishes value of the game for yourself or other players like a tenth level prestige lobby in cod if you PayPal me $5 (so much spam from xbox live messages) or kill assist bots then it's a bigger issue.

My issue was diminishing the value of the game. To me rng manip would be on par with a 4x life bar mod in dark souls. Sure you beat the game but did you experience the game or did you

hqdefault.jpg

Wolfenstein easy mode (this is actually from the game)

LRangerR

Local Legend
Mind you, resetting a day is only the very lowest form of RNG manipulation, so most people overlook it.

Mind you, resetting a day is only the very lowest form of RNG manipulation, so most people overlook it.
That's like restarting pokemon after a legendary gets critical hitter one shot when you were going for a capture. Seriously lvl 39 raichu thunders a level 50 articuno and KOs it! Not cool game freak

CandyNim

Farmhand
But a lot of what the predictor tells you is just something you can learn by resetting the day. Geodes for example - you can just crack open a geode and find out what that geode gives you and reset if you don't like it. Or you can look at that handy table and find out what that says. This is something you can find out via purely ingame actions, and is just made simpler from the predictors. Or that resetting the day to get a different mail. Return to file select is an option for a reason - the game understands you might want to exit the game and potentially not save it and so you can. You aren't happy with the mail result, so you reset. It isn't "Totally cheating", it's just doing something other than first attempt.

But a lot of what the predictor tells you is just something you can learn by resetting the day. Geodes for example - you can just crack open a geode and find out what that geode gives you and reset if you don't like it. Or you can look at that handy table and find out what that says. This is something you can find out via purely ingame actions, and is just made simpler from the predictors. Or that resetting the day to get a different mail. Return to file select is an option for a reason - the game understands you might want to exit the game and potentially not save it and so you can. You aren't happy with the mail result, so you reset. It isn't "Totally cheating", it's just doing something other than first attempt.
I take it you never encountered Mr. Resetti in Animal Crossing. That talking mole would scream at you whenever you pulled it.
images.jpeg

When the devs of games call it cheating it is cheating.

LRangerR

Local Legend
That's like restarting pokemon after a legendary gets critical hitter one shot when you were going for a capture. Seriously lvl 39 raichu thunders a level 50 articuno and KOs it! Not cool game freak
I guess it depends on how many times you do it.

liquidcat

Staff member
This thread has completely gone offtopic so I'm going to ask all participants to drop this topic in here and stick to the original topic of the thread. You're free to make a new thread to discuss whether rng manipulation can count as cheating or not.

BlaDe

Farmer
Ok, to summarise all ways to get nautilous shell on an unmodded client.

1, wait till winter and forage.
2, if on beach farm, wait for it to spawn.
3, check the travelling cart each Friday and Sunday, it may spawn.
4, befriend Demetrius. Each night there is a chance for him to send a gift. The chance for him to be selected to send a gift is 1/npcs met. The chance for him to send a gift once selected is heartlevel/10. (Both can be manipped). When he sends a gift, he can send Nautilous Shell, Rainbow Shell, Bream, or Amethyst. The day can be reset to reroll the gift (if you like to play that way).
5, Put saltwater crab pot items into a fish pond. Nautilous Shells are in the drop table once the pond has a population of at least 9. I don't have the math on me for this one. Fish pond drops can be manipped.
6, Buy an animal and name it [392] to item inject it. Doesn't work on all platforms.