Windows Multiple daily disconnects / extreme lag in online Co-op

Wicked_Giraffe

Newcomer
Our party of 3 has experienced many disconnects and extreme lag in our co-op farm. The host doesn't ever disconnect, only the two of us that were invited to the farm. We are playing an unmodded game. We are all playing on the most recent Steam version of the game on Windows machines. We're having multiple disconnects on each in-game day as well as persistent lag issues throughout the day - delays in picking up items and opening chests are constant. It is not an internet connection problem, as we all share a voice chat and play other online games together and none of us are having connection issues outside of Stardew Valley. When we do manage to reconnect, we spawn back in our beds as if our characters are waking up for the day. I've found other people posting similar issues on this forum as well as on Reddit over the past months and there doesn't seem to be a solution.

This has made Stardew Co-op essentially unplayable and ruined our hope of playing Co-op. Has anyone successfully managed to troubleshoot these issues, or is ConcernedApe's team aware of this situation and working on a fix? I noticed in the 1.6 update support for up to 8 players is being added, but if this issue isn't resolved that portion of the update is meaningless. We are clearly not the only group facing this problem; if we could get any communication about this or a troubleshooting method to resolve the problem that would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: This thread seems to continue to be relevant to a few people. I neglected to included our host's specs in my original post, as we didn't consider them a potential issue, but here they are:

RTX 4090
i9-13900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 RAM
Windows 11 Pro
Gigabit internet connection with appropriate LAN hardware

Last edited:

Dakota

Newcomer
I'm having the exact same issue. I get weird bouts of lag where nothing responds to inputs, and every 10 - 15 minutes or so I get "lost connection to server."

Cuusardo

Farmer
If rebooting your router doesn't work, it either means the host router isn't beefy enough to handle the co-op game, or the host computer isn't beefy enough to handle a co-op game.

Wicked_Giraffe

Newcomer
If rebooting your router doesn't work, it either means the host router isn't beefy enough to handle the co-op game, or the host computer isn't beefy enough to handle a co-op game.
I've given up on this issue at this point and we've moved on to other games as none of us have been able to resolve the issue. All of us have reasonably powerful builds and internet connections, and the host of our party has a zero-compromises setup. Host's home internet is a gigabit connection with an appropriate Modem/Router, and his PC specs include an RTX 4090, an i9-13900KF, and 64 gigs of high speed DDR5. This is why we prefer to use him as a host. I should have included his specs in my original post, my apologies. But it is absolutely not host's setup - we've run far more demanding games in co-op with zero issues using him as our host and we ultimately came to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the netcode of Stardew. We're all tech literate people that did all the basic troubleshooting we could, as well as some more obscure tips recommended online, but we still had the same issues.