Windows Multiplayer Disconnection Issues: Related to complexity and game length?

DromeyDungeons

Greenhorn
Hi,

I have been hosting a multiplayer game since November 4, 2022 with my partner (lives in the same house, uses the same internet) and my friend who lives in the States (I live in Canada). Over the past several months we've had recurring disconnection issues where both my partner and friend experience the following before being disconnected (conveyed as a 'username quits' to me the host).
  • glitching/lagging (the 'rubber-band' motion of their sprite)
  • monsters freezing in place
  • unable to pick up items
  • unable to open chests
We know that disconnection happens more frequently when someone is in Skull Cavern or the Mines, and especially when two or more people are in Skull Cavern/the Mines.

We've played other multi-player games before, and it often starts okay but by the time we hit Year 2/3 we start to get disconnection issues. We are in Year 3 Fall of the current multiplayer game.

We are all on Windows machines and play through Steam.

I've done all of the steps as recommended in the multiplayer troubleshooting guide, and I've checked both Reddit and these forums for other solutions. While I've seen other posts with similar issues I have yet to find reliable solutions (or causes). At this point I'm interested in helping myself and others figure out the root cause of this problem (multiplayer disconnection), since we need to know that before we can fix it.

I'm wondering if multiplayer disconnection is related to the complexity of the game? For example, we once had slimes running around on our farm in multiplayer and it became untenable to play for everyone (including me, the host) as we got more and more slimes on the farm. We see a similar effect when we are in the mines/skull cavern, especially when their are lots of mobs (more mobs = more lag and disconnections). And as our farming gets more complex with stuff going on in Ginger Island, the dangerous mines, etc. it seems we get more instances of disconnection.

Thoughts? Solutions?

-A