Most depressed character?

eliasntr

Farmhand
So why doesn't Kent do his share of the house chores? He lives there too, and is, apparently, not working at a job at present. He does spend some time with Vincent in that little park, but if Jodi's stuck with all of the housework, that isn't much of a break for her.

Kent has PTSD and that is often accompanied by depression, and that could be one reason that Jodi doesn't encourage him to pick up his half of the load. I have a sneaking suspicion as well that she likes playing the martyr. If Kent did his share, it would be harder for her to ask for sympathy, because it would become evident that she really wants sympathy for her life choices. Much easier to grumble about cleaning the floor.
Good point on Kent. It all just boils to a dysfunctional family which is an unfortunate result of a mother being a martyr keeping herself from weighing down her load and a father which did survive the war but couldn't live with being a normal functioning father anymore.

It would've been nice if the game showed signs of development within the family later on where, say, after year 4 or further, Kent would finally have a closure with his family and be able to cooperate with Jodi in having a normal family again. Jodi would have then learned that good things could still be made from her bad decisions earlier in life, and it is never too late to enjoy it. Something like the resolution we get from rebuilding "that" house for someone. As it all seems right now, they just seem to lack the character development and story some get to have in the game, like with Pierre and Pam.

Munning

Greenhorn
Jodi does come across as one of the most depressed characters. Her story arc and dialogue reflect the struggles she's dealing with, from being a single mother raising two kids to her husband being away at war. It's a lot for anyone to handle, even in a virtual world.
It's heartwarming, though, how the game gives you the opportunity to support and befriend her. Helping her out and being there for her can bring a sense of fulfillment to your gameplay.
And if you ever feel like enhancing your Stardew Valley experience, in my opinion, trying out the best HHC Gummies might add an extra layer of relaxation and enjoyment.

Last edited:

ArtifactSpot

There is so much sadness in this town I honest can’t choose….and it never ever EVER improves. It would be nice if a therapist moved to town or my virtual spouse Harvey attended whatever courses left to become a Psychiatrist/Psychologist on the side. He is always saying he needs to find additional work. I think he’d make a good one too. Caroline is also pretty balanced, but I don’t know how many years it would take for her to become a LPC/LPSW. Emily would also do well in this field.

There is so much sadness in this town I honest can’t choose….and it never ever EVER improves. It would be nice if a therapist moved to town or my virtual spouse Harvey attended whatever courses left to become a Psychiatrist/Psychologist on the side. He is always saying he needs to find additional work. I think he’d make a good one too. Caroline is also pretty balanced, but I don’t know how many years it would take for her to become a LPC/LPSW. Emily would also do well in this field.
Harvey would make the best therapist! Such a sweetie and always caring about the folks of Pelican Town :heart:

RennyBenny

Sodbuster
I feel like everyone there is depressed to some degree lol.

Lewis does nothing but work work work work work
Jas has dead parents
Shane’s a drunk
Kent has PTSD and can’t chill
Jodi has no life
Emily and Haley’s parents are gone
Clint’s hopelessly in love
Pierre worries for his business
Sebastian lives in a basement and smokes for fun
Penny lives in a trailer with her drunk mom
Pam is a drunk
Harvey has to save everyone
Alex lost his mom
George lives in his wheelchair and has nothing to look forward to except for leeks
The Wizard is isolated and divorced
Elliott ages in his little cabin

(completely aware that this isn’t everyone but still a majority)

RennyBenny

Sodbuster

Jas has dead parents
Shane’s a drunk
Jodi has no life
Pam is a drunk
Alex lost his mom
George lives in his wheelchair and has nothing to look forward to except for leeks
But the real depressed one is Morris, the dude from JojaMart. He never leaves, and plasters a smile to his face while staying locked behind the counter under bright LED lights, selling you plastic bread and edible laundry detergent.

ArtifactSpot

The random nameless girl at the joja checkout register. Literally the only npc in the Valley that doesn't have a name and nobody cares.
Wow never went there, glad you helped me. How true! Same with movie counter person.

ArtifactSpot

Jas has dead parents
Shane’s a drunk
Jodi has no life
Pam is a drunk
Alex lost his mom

(completely aware that this isn’t everyone but still a majority)
I agree totally. CA must have, have had or know someone very close who has or has had depression. He couldn’t portray it so well in so many different life stories if not.

ArtifactSpot

So why doesn't Kent do his share of the house chores? He lives there too, and is, apparently, not working at a job at present. He does spend some time with Vincent in that little park, but if Jodi's stuck with all of the housework, that isn't much of a break for her.

Kent has PTSD and that is often accompanied by depression, and that could be one reason that Jodi doesn't encourage him to pick up his half of the load. I have a sneaking suspicion as well that she likes playing the martyr. If Kent did his share, it would be harder for her to ask for sympathy, because it would become evident that she really wants sympathy for her life choices. Much easier to grumble about cleaning the floor.
Please. Don’t. Even. Go. THERE on Kent. I’m not saying for one second any form of mental health issue is easy to live with and in some instances are not possible to live with. I’ve personally witnessed innumerable time in my own family, their families and my own marriage to what effect my and other loved ones mental health issues have had. But unless you have the for real deal severe, utterly debilitating, chronic, never-ending living hell of mental health issues yourself don’t for one second say they can just magically do or not do something. You obviously have not been there or done that or you would not ever be saying that again. EVER. Just saying. 🙄

RennyBenny

Sodbuster
I guess Sandy too, she’s in the desert technically alone and sits in an empty shop 24/7 and Emily never visits her even when the bus is fixed.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Please. Don’t. Even. Go. THERE on Kent. I’m not saying for one second any form of mental health issue is easy to live with and in some instances are not possible to live with. I’ve personally witnessed innumerable time in my own family, their families and my own marriage to what effect my and other loved ones mental health issues have had. But unless you have the for real deal severe, utterly debilitating, chronic, never-ending living hell of mental health issues yourself don’t for one second say they can just magically do or not do something. You obviously have not been there or done that or you would not ever be saying that again. EVER. Just saying. 🙄
Hi.

I understand you're upset, and I'm sorry another random user upset you like this. As a veteran, I'm not saying your suffering is worse than mine. I have lost many friends, to combat, suicide, and homelessness as well. In all honesty, veterans are not properly prepared for the transition back into real life, and I feel that Kent animates that effectively. I could go deeper but I won't.

However, even if the person is wrong, I don't think that lashing out on them is the correct way to make them understand. I know you hurt, I do too, and so do most vets. But anger won't fix wrong no matter how hard we try