Most depressed character?

eliasntr

Farmhand
I agree on Jodi. Not to downplay the situations of the others, but the rest of the villagers in one way or another overcome their sad lives. Jodi just seems to be the one who is left behind and is now stuck on this married life that she rushed on. Not that she has a terrible family to live on, but her regrets really seem to hurt her very much. Her dialogues are simply depressing and really makes you think about the choices that you make in real life about rushing things. These dialogues in particular says a lot about Jodi:

“*sigh*... Sometimes I dream about life on my own... without a family to look after. Is that horrible? Don't tell anyone.”
“I had a dream that I had complete freedom, no obligation to anyone but myself...
...Then I woke up and realized I had a full day of house chores ahead of me...”

quirmzi

Sodbuster
Jodi. Just, jodi
I wish we could help the other residents who aren't marriageable, like how Shane can start going to therapy. Maybe we could take her to a party or something? Or we could be the ones taking care of her for a day. It could just be fetching her items or making food so she doesn't have to.

Beaker

Farmhand
He's frustrating because he's a big Debbie (downer) at times and then the whole Emily thing just had me *sigh* BUT, I'm sure we all had Clint moments (many!) when you want to talk to your crush and you just can't or don't, it's hard, I know but, Oh Clint.. just go for it. I will say this, I did dance with her as a big F U to him hehe...

Uzzlegorf

Farmer
He's frustrating because he's a big Debbie (downer) at times and then the whole Emily thing just had me *sigh* BUT, I'm sure we all had Clint moments (many!) when you want to talk to your crush and you just can't or don't, it's hard, I know but, Oh Clint.. just go for it. I will say this, I did dance with her as a big F U to him hehe...
It's not just the Emily thing.
Things he says like "I'm always working near the hot furnace and never getting out", "Weather doesn't matter to me since I'm always in my shop", totally depressed and hates his life.

Beaker

Farmhand
It's not just the Emily thing.
Things he says like "I'm always working near the hot furnace and never getting out", "Weather doesn't matter to me since I'm always in my shop", totally depressed and hates his life.
Funny that you mentioned this, because I swear. Right after reading this, I did the jellies in the water at night festival in the Summer and talking to Clint he says

“I wore my special shoes tonight... No one noticed.”

This nailed the coffin. Oh Clint you sad, sad, man.

Potatoes

Farmer
I agree about Clint being the worst.

I don’t know if Caroline is depressed but I secretly wish she would leave Pierre, I think she could do a lot better than him. My wife also thinks Abigail would be depressed having him as a father.

Aine

Planter
They all are sad with their lifes, wich is, at least to me, a real problem in the game. I am all to "real people", but everyone in this town look sad, and miserable (except maybe Emily). Most of them are not nice people also, from the dialog you can see some of them are really snob, selfish, etc.

Boo1972

Farmer
They all are sad with their lifes, wich is, at least to me, a real problem in the game. I am all to "real people", but everyone in this town look sad, and miserable (except maybe Emily). Most of them are not nice people also, from the dialog you can see some of them are really snob, selfish, etc.
Maybe it’s because I’m closer to 50 than 40, but I actually like that the characters are more complex than just being “nice” and happy. Well, as complex as pixels controlled by an algorithm can be. Take Haley for example. She comes off as shallow and snobby at first. But, as you get to know her, she can be silly and is definitely artistic like her sister. Plus, her social justice 14 heart event warms this liberal heart. The characters change as you get to know them, just like real life. Also I’m pretty sure CA made them all have problems to trigger a desire to “save” them and increase the chances we’d marry one of them.

Boo1972

Farmer
Clint, definitely Clint. Maybe it’s because I’m a stay-at-home mom too, but Jodi reads more like frustration to me. I mean if I have to chop one more clove of garlic or force perfectly capable children to wash their disgusting, smelly laundry on more time, I might become a hermit on the beach somewhere. But that’s frustration,not depression.

Beaker

Farmhand
Clint, definitely Clint. Maybe it’s because I’m a stay-at-home mom too, but Jodi reads more like frustration to me. I mean if I have to chop one more clove of garlic or force perfectly capable children to wash their disgusting, smelly laundry on more time, I might become a hermit on the beach somewhere. But that’s frustration,not depression.
In other words: You're going to become a female version of Linus? :D

Lew Zealand

Helper
Jodi, followed by Clint and then Penny. And it's all family baggage.

Jodi is already in a situation which she is not completely happy with. Pretty much resigned to. She's already there.

Clint is pining for the fjords Emily but there are still other fish in the sea. However he also feels the obligation to his multigenerational family legacy of being a blacksmith though he clearly would like the option of doing something else. Some time with a mental health professional would probably help him realize himself a bit more.

Penny also feels like she has an obligation to Pam and really she doesn't need to. She's also very young and therefore has the most options available and the potential to have the most flexible thinking. Again, time with a mental health professional would help a lot here and she uses her brain pretty well already.

I have to agree with most of these now. Clint is rather down all the time. Not only that, but he has such a low self esteem and I feel for him - to a degree.

Widget

Sodbuster
I agree on Jodi. Not to downplay the situations of the others, but the rest of the villagers in one way or another overcome their sad lives. Jodi just seems to be the one who is left behind and is now stuck on this married life that she rushed on. Not that she has a terrible family to live on, but her regrets really seem to hurt her very much. Her dialogues are simply depressing and really makes you think about the choices that you make in real life about rushing things. These dialogues in particular says a lot about Jodi:
So why doesn't Kent do his share of the house chores? He lives there too, and is, apparently, not working at a job at present. He does spend some time with Vincent in that little park, but if Jodi's stuck with all of the housework, that isn't much of a break for her.

Kent has PTSD and that is often accompanied by depression, and that could be one reason that Jodi doesn't encourage him to pick up his half of the load. I have a sneaking suspicion as well that she likes playing the martyr. If Kent did his share, it would be harder for her to ask for sympathy, because it would become evident that she really wants sympathy for her life choices. Much easier to grumble about cleaning the floor.