More Racial Diversity

LettuceFarm

Planter
It would be nice to have more diversity in SDV(unmodded). Demetrius and Maru are the only POC in Pelican Town. And outside of town the only other npc I can think of is the desert trader. That's 3 out of almost 50 npcs in the game... which is a little disappointing seeing as though SDV is set in a make believe world.

SDV is played all over, translated into multiple languages, and I would love to see more diversity in the future!

*edit* No, I'm not asking for existing characters to change:wchicken:

Last edited:

Salonpad

Farmhand
There is no asian in town. My theory is the totoro empire is Asians. Not that i want CA to add asian npc in game, i like the game fine but more dark skin npc would be nice since there not so many in the media 🤗

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm always for representation. Revisionism, however, always causes a problem with... let's call them "folks resistant to change", so I'd suggest that we need to find a good way to introduce new NPCs that are a bit more representative. How to do so, though? There are only so many ways I can think of off the top of my head to do that, and they can be boiled down to "adding a new area with new NPCs" or "bringing new NPCs into town". Both of those, though, would require a bit more than just adding the NPCs.

However, adding a new area with new NPCs? That's already a popular idea. Including in those suggestions the idea that they could be used to also increase racial representation, I think, might be a good idea.

Edit to add: And it doesn't have to be a big thing where real-world cultures are shoe-horned into the game. All it needs to be is folks with more diverse skin-tones.

Last edited:

Salonpad

Farmhand
I'm always for representation. Revisionism, however, always causes a problem with... let's call them "folks resistant to change", so I'd suggest that we need to find a good way to introduce new NPCs that are a bit more representative. How to do so, though? There are only so many ways I can think of off the top of my head to do that, and they can be boiled down to "adding a new area with new NPCs" or "bringing new NPCs into town". Both of those, though, would require a bit more than just adding the NPCs.

However, adding a new area with new NPCs? That's already a popular idea. Including in those suggestions the idea that they could be used to also increase racial representation, I think, might be a good idea.

Edit to add: And it doesn't have to be a big thing where real-world cultures are shoe-horned into the game. All it needs to be is folks with more diverse skin-tones.
How about as tourists?

LRangerR

Local Legend
Mr. Qi is a POC. So is Krobus, and the Witch. It'd be nice to see the people on the Island have a bit more tanned skin though, as that would make sense without changing their race, even as a revision.

tomaO2

Planter
I have seen playthroughs of people that were happy with seeing the biracial couple and their kid. There is no reason to not have a new character be of a non-Caucasian race as well. I don't think the OP is asking for races of existing characters to change (if I'm wrong, however, I'd be against that happening).

Interestingly, there is a fairly high number of darker skinned NPCs in the pirates cove area. At least 2 more, and I think it was 3 or 4. It's a little surprising that none of the main three of the island were as well. This expansion would have been a good opportunity to do so.

Adding new giftable characters is, of course, a major addition, and would probably come with a new area to explore. In terms of focus, I don't think that this is the best place to focus at this time (I feel working more on additional family options would please a lot more people) but if Ape wants to add a new NPC, I think that it would be fine if it was of another race.

LettuceFarm

Planter
[Original message removed]
Well going off of that logic, Stardew Valley is made by an American game developer (Concerned Ape) lives in Seattle... one of the most diverse cities in America.

I love that the game has brought so many people from around the globe (super cool to just casually be talking about the game with someone from Central Europe btw) and I'm just suggesting that it would be nice to see some representation down the road. Love from South Korea:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:

LettuceFarm

Planter
I have seen playthroughs of people that were happy with seeing the biracial couple and their kid. There is no reason to not have a new character be of a non-Caucasian race as well. I don't think the OP is asking for races of existing characters to change (if I'm wrong, however, I'd be against that happening).

Interestingly, there is a fairly high number of darker skinned NPCs in the pirates cove area. At least 2 more, and I think it was 3 or 4. It's a little surprising that none of the main three of the island were as well. This expansion would have been a good opportunity to do so.

Adding new giftable characters is, of course, a major addition, and would probably come with a new area to explore. In terms of focus, I don't think that this is the best place to focus at this time (I feel working more on additional family options would please a lot more people) but if Ape wants to add a new NPC, I think that it would be fine if it was of another race.
Ohhhh, I'm going to have to find some more golden walnuts to unlock that area. But yes, this post was mainly created because I thought the introduction of Ginger Island was kind of a lost opportunity and I hope that if there are more map expansion updates or new characters planned down the line, we could have some more diversity.

Salonpad

Farmhand
I think you misunderstood my point, im fine with the game as is it, i didn’t ask for asian npc in game for political correct so please can we avoid going down that 😥 I just stated that there are no asian npc in game even tho maki roll and tom kha soup is asian cuisine ( Japanese and Thai ) though it would be nice to use red cabbage to make kimchi ( Korean) 🤗

Also *the yellow , red chess color figures* sample just sound so wrong so no, thank you nobody ask for that :D this have nothing to do with what we are discussing.

* Edit * as I mentioned, my comments is just how i see the game from an non white person looking in, we had arab looking npc ( the desert area) the pirates ( island area) so using central Europe base as an excuse to not inclue other poc npc in the game wouldn’t make sense to me?

Again this thread is just another suggestion post, for us to freely discuss and share our points of view and finding the best way to inclue new poc npc without making it out of place (and i mean if CA want to, what are the chance he even see this post to consider it ? ) so just relax 😋

Cococinel

Sodbuster
"Currently, Stardew Valley supports English, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, French, Korean, Turkish, and Hungarian." - Those aren't exclusively Central European languages, so the POC ratio in Central Europe isn't notably relevant.

-----

I definitely want more POC (also more cool older people that are women and a non-straight married couple), not in the least because I'm Indo myself, but I agree racelifting existing NPCs is inadvisable and I can only imagine how much work adding new NPCs is. (I was rather surprised about Leo's addition, but I absolutely love what he adds to the valley.)

I've mentioned in another thread that I'd like someone to run the spa because the place scares me as is, so that'd be a new NPC that could be POC. I also would be interested in a retired station master from a time the station was in use (I've passed the retired Nijmegen-Kleve railway many times in my childhood and that's left a love for "lost" railroad material). A relatively low investment NPC could be an adventurer living on another floor of the Skull Cavern each day.

Salonpad

Farmhand
"Currently, Stardew Valley supports English, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, French, Korean, Turkish, and Hungarian." - Those aren't exclusively Central European languages, so the POC ratio in Central Europe isn't notably relevant.

-----

I definitely want more POC (also more cool older people that are women and a non-straight married couple), not in the least because I'm Indo myself, but I agree racelifting existing NPCs is inadvisable and I can only imagine how much work adding new NPCs is. (I was rather surprised about Leo's addition, but I absolutely love what he adds to the valley.)

I've mentioned in another thread that I'd like someone to run the spa because the place scares me as is, so that'd be a new NPC that could be POC. I also would be interested in a retired station master from a time the station was in use (I've passed the retired Nijmegen-Kleve railway many times in my childhood and that's left a love for "lost" railroad material). A relatively low investment NPC could be an adventurer living on another floor of the Skull Cavern each day.
Because to some people adding poc npc mean making the game political 🤔

Maybe I need to clarify some points:
My intention was NOT to refuse POC NPCs in the game and also not to attack someone here. If anybody feels offended I am sorry - this was not my intention.
Also I would really like to see more game content added and I am totally fine when these content represents all the world in all its diversity.

BUT I totally disagree for the argument that every single thing has to represent all the worlds diversity - not for a TV series, not for a discussion session, not for a game.
Diversity doesn't mean to mix everything up. It's more about having the chance to see/visit/interact/learn from consistent cultural groups and areas. Diversity means to accept (open minded) cultural areas one is not part of.

So regarding SDV: I like the game because it is a fantasy world where I can relax and "escape" from real world problems. I like SDV and fantasy worlds in general because there is no need to be always "world compliant". And I really hope the game does not integrate new stuff for reasons like "more dark skin npc would be nice since there not so many in the media".

As Spok would said: "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." 🖖

Last edited:

Salonpad

Farmhand
Maybe I need to clarify some points:
My intention was NOT to refuse POC NPCs in the game and also not to attack someone here. If anybody feels offended I am sorry - this was not my intention.
Also I would really like to see more game content added and I am totally fine when these content represents all the world in all its diversity.

BUT I totally disagree for the argument that every single thing has to represent all the worlds diversity - not for a TV series, not for a discussion session, not for a game.
Diversity doesn't mean to mix everything up. It's more about having the chance to see/visit/interact/learn from consistent cultural groups and areas. Diversity means to accept (open minded) cultural areas one is not part of.

So regarding SDV: I like the game because it is a fantasy world where I can relax and "escape" from real world problems. I like SDV and fantasy worlds in general because there is no need to be always "world compliant". And I really hope the game does not integrate new stuff for reasons like "more dark skin npc would be nice since there not so many in the media".

As Spok would said: "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." 🖖
Fair enough , just my thought on it dont take it too hard. I realized i did sound a little political correct, my apology.

Thank for being nice about it, dont know why but i do sound aggressive...75258974-F357-42DA-B5F0-4F016134B21D.jpeg