More Racial Diversity

Odin

Staff member
Mr. Qi is a POC. So is Krobus, and the Witch.
I don't want to be rude, but none of those characters are people of color. The point of diversity is to increase representation by including characters that represent different groups of people from around the world. Krobus isn't a human, so doesn't count no matter how you look at it. The witch and Qi are arguably human, but with their green and blue skin, they don't represent a group of people from the real world.

Another way to look at it would be to consider a sci-fi game were most or all of the human characters were white. You couldn't say the the game had diversity because there are also lots of alien characters, because none of them would be representing humans.

birdn4t0r

Cowpoke
[Original message removed]
Speaking of Eastern Europe, isn’t the location that Harvey gives over the radio located there? So with your input, it does make sense lol. Still, more NPCs would be super neat. Especially NPCs you can only talk to during certain times of the year…Maybe Gunther can have an intern.

Last edited by a moderator:

LRangerR

Local Legend
Speaking of Eastern Europe, isn’t the location that Harvey gives over the radio located there? So with your input, it does make sense lol. Still, more NPCs would be super neat. Especially NPCs you can only talk to during certain times of the year…Maybe Gunther can have an intern.
I never bothered to check the coordinates, but you're forgetting that Stardew Valley doesn't exist on our Earth. :)

Freizeitfarmer said:
So regarding SDV: I like the game because it is a fantasy world where I can relax and "escape" from real world problems. I like SDV and fantasy worlds in general because there is no need to be always "world compliant". And I really hope the game does not integrate new stuff for reasons like "more dark skin npc would be nice since there not so many in the media".
The problem with this is that while SV is a fantasy world, not everyone can use it to escape real world problems in the same way. Lack of diversity, and being against changing that, is a real world problem. POC play Stardew too and deserve to escape into fantasy. It seems that you are able to step away from how diversity/lack thereof impacts you, but that isn't true for people who aren't white. (Also, Stardew definitely does deal with IRL things. Addiction, depression, an abusive familial situation, the press of capitalism - those are big story elements!)
Of course no media can represent everyone. But if media all did a little bit more, then it would end up making a big difference.

I get that this would not be a quick change. But I think it would be one that would be worth it. Stardew Valley is a great game and allowing more people to see themselves in it could only add to that!

Kurachi84

Planter
Most see it as IRL thing, while i just like to see more colors... nothing political.
I'm not looking at skin colors, just like i wasn't with fresh Prince of Bel-Air when i was a kid (am white), but some variety with newer NPCs would indeed be nice :)
A few new places with nothing major, maybe?
Maybe new items, crops and such, but no story, until CA plans to make a new big update again, like 1.5!
I think adding some new NPCs and some crops and such isn't as much work as a story with its own content alone like items you require for the story line.

So for political reasons? No.
For view? Yes.
Just like how i'd want to see more colors than blue, green and red for balloons, basically.

The problem with this is that while SV is a fantasy world, not everyone can use it to escape real world problems in the same way. Lack of diversity, and being against changing that, is a real world problem. POC play Stardew too and deserve to escape into fantasy. It seems that you are able to step away from how diversity/lack thereof impacts you, but that isn't true for people who aren't white. (Also, Stardew definitely does deal with IRL things. Addiction, depression, an abusive familial situation, the press of capitalism - those are big story elements!)
Of course no media can represent everyone. But if media all did a little bit more, then it would end up making a big difference.

I get that this would not be a quick change. But I think it would be one that would be worth it. Stardew Valley is a great game and allowing more people to see themselves in it could only add to that!
Many here seems to think like you do. So maybe CA and the other devs too... Anyhow I don't think the try to represent everyone everywhere is a good way. I explained my thoughts as good as I can already here and in other threads. So I wont repeat all that again.
But remember: any game - also every TV series, discussion session, whatever - is only a subset of reality (in terms of representation). So you never will represent all groups you have in real life. Therefor you always have some groups potentially claiming a lack of representation. And they are always right from their point of view!

imnvs

Local Legend
Many here seems to think like you do. So maybe CA and the other devs too... Anyhow I don't think the try to represent everyone everywhere is a good way. I explained my thoughts as good as I can already here and in other threads. So I wont repeat all that again.
But remember: any game - also every TV series, discussion session, whatever - is only a subset of reality (in terms of representation). So you never will represent all groups you have in real life. Therefor you always have some groups potentially claiming a lack of representation. And they are always right from their point of view!
So, basically, what you're saying is that since you can't take one step and achieve perfection, that we should never take any steps at all to make things better. What a depressing worldview.

So, basically, what you're saying is that since you can't take one step and achieve perfection, that we should never take any steps at all to make things better. What a depressing worldview.
NO, you get me totally wrong....
First: for me this is a game, not an area of political fight. I honestly don't see a reason why this would change anything in real life. But that's one argument many here bring up.
Second: for ME diversity does NOT mean to have everything everywhere (not even represented). For ME diversity means to have cultural areas I am NOT part of BUT can explore/get to know/meet without sorrows or fear. I have no problems to play as male a female character. So I don't see the need to fight for representation literally everywhere. But some here seems to think also different about that.
Third: I have my problems with the demand of representation in media in general. That part I explained above so I wont repeat again.

I hope that makes my thinking more clear.

LettuceFarm

Planter
Second: for ME diversity does NOT mean to have everything everywhere (not even represented). For ME diversity means to have cultural areas I am NOT part of BUT can explore/get to know/meet without sorrows or fear. I have no problems to play as male a female character. So I don't see the need to fight for representation literally everywhere. But some here seems to think also different about that.
We can agree to disagree.
However, I never suggested that everything everywhere should be represented. All I suggested was more than 3 POC.

Also, I am having a hard time following your definition of diversity. You state diversity is when you can explore cultural areas you are not a part of without sorrows or fear... are you saying seeing POC instills sorrow or fear??? I'm very confused and cannot follow what you are trying to say . Furthermore, I specifically titled this thread "Racial Diversity", but it appears that you are talking about a much larger topic of general diversity (gender, age, occupation, race, etc) which might be better suited for another thread.

We can agree to disagree.
However, I never suggested that everything everywhere should be represented. All I suggested was more than 3 POC.
I am not against the suggestion. I contradict the argumentation!

Also, I am having a hard time following your definition of diversity. You state diversity is when you can explore cultural areas you are not a part of without sorrows or fear... are you saying seeing POC instills sorrow or fear??? I'm very confused and cannot follow what you are trying to say .
Many here argue that having more diversity in the game would help to make a better world. Also they argue it could be hard to play as minority (POC, non-binary, whatever) because there is much sorrow or fear in the real world. In my eyes this is twisted. If others suppress you in the real world, it doesn't make sense to ask for more equality or representation in a game! Thereby you don't change their behavior, you only get displaced into a side scene.

Furthermore, I specifically titled this thread "Racial Diversity", but it appears that you are talking about a much larger topic of general diversity (gender, age, occupation, race, etc) which might be better suited for another thread.
Yes, this topic overlaps another one here: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/non-binary-option.1337/
The argumentation is pretty the same: because there is not enough equality in real life we need more representation in this game!

imnvs

Local Legend
The argumentation is pretty the same: because there is not enough equality in real life we need more representation in this game!
That is absolutely not the argument. You're misrepresenting it terribly.

We're saying that the game should be representative, because that's a good thing to do. Period. AND we're saying you underestimate how important it is because you don't suffer as the people this would effect suffers, and the same goes in the thread you linked.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Many here argue that having more diversity in the game would help to make a better world. Also they argue it could be hard to play as minority (POC, non-binary, whatever) because there is much sorrow or fear in the real world. In my eyes this is twisted. If others suppress you in the real world, it doesn't make sense to ask for more equality or representation in a game! Thereby you don't change their behavior, you only get displaced into a side scene.
In the real world, it was found that many East Asians were very racist against/afraid of black people, specifically. It wasn't understood for a while, until someone figured out that it was partially due to the fact that in much western media (specifically Hollywood) the villains of many movies in the '60s and '70s were black. This created a psychological prejudice and bias in their minds, as that was the only exposure to blacks that many of them had, even though it didn't resemble the truth at all.

So yes, representation in media is important.

ZeFat

Sodbuster
I feel like this type of posts always bring a sad connotation to the whole ordeal, i wouldn't mind having more options in terms of character creation and or more npcs from different parts of the world, the problem that surfaces is you have to wait for how to implement POC lore wise, For example Kent has been in a war we don't know how the Gotoro Empire people are it should be something to add to Kents story wise, just getting a single heart event and then 2 recipes on the mail its a bit underwhelming. Or even from where Demetrius family came from and we could explore a bit of their history, one other POC the desert trader, there's a whole bunch of different ethnicities in this game they are a bit scarce due to the valley location. I really want to know where the Forest Bear or the Trash Bear came from and why cant I have them as pets or farm visitors!

Lets just wait and see what the developer wants to do 1st and also if he wants to add it to his vision of his game!

Either way i'm fine theres also a bunch of tourists and other npcs like the dragon merchant, the traveling merchant, Qi etc when you progress the game and we don't know where they came from so we just have to keep an open mind for those xD

starbrite

Sodbuster
I would love to see this! Again as everyone else has said, not to change NPCs already in the game, but to just add in a few new ones! It just feels nice to see other people that look like you.

People who prefer to date males have zero people to choose from that are black/indigenous/asian/PoC.

It would be really nice to implement more males characters that reflected diversity and allowed dating.
yesssss!!!! I didn't think about skin color when dating in-game, I just went based on personality, but it would really be nice to see Asian, black, and other POC male characters.