Mod to turn off transparency of farm buildings

LooneyLuny

Greenhorn
Seems like this is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like when the buildings on my farm turn transparent when I move slightly behind them. There used to be a mod that made the transparency adjustable (Custom Transparency), but it doesn't work in 1.6. Does anyone know an alternative mod for this?

Dyanosis

Tiller
You can turn off the fade completely with a CP mod now, but to make the transparency adjustable probably needs a C# mod as there's nothing, in the building details itself, that lets us customize the fade.

LooneyLuny

Greenhorn
You can turn off the fade completely with a CP mod now, but to make the transparency adjustable probably needs a C# mod as there's nothing, in the building details itself, that lets us customize the fade.
Turning it off completely is what I'm looking for honestly. What mod would that be?

Dyanosis

Tiller
Turning it off completely is what I'm looking for honestly. What mod would that be?
I don't know of a specific mod that does it, but I could give you the JSON you'd need to make the change yourself. Make a folder in your Mods folder. Call it something like [CP] Remove Building Fade. Inside that new folder, create a content.json file and paste the following:
JSON:
{
    "Format": "2.0.0",
    "Changes": [
        {
            "Action": "EditData",
            "Target": "Data/Buildings",
            "Fields": {
                "Cabin": {
                    "FadeWhenBehind": false
                }
            }
        }
    ]
}
Next, make a manifest.json file inside that same folder (the one you made the content.json inside) and paste the following:
JSON:
{
    "Name": "[CP] Remove Building Fade",
    "Author": "LooneyLuny",
    "Version": "1.0.0",
    "Description": "Buildings will not fade when you move behind them.",
    "UniqueID": "LooneyLuny.RemoveBuildingFade",
    "MinimumApiVersion": "4.0.0",
    "ContentPackFor": {
        "UniqueID": "Pathoschild.ContentPatcher"
    }
}
If you've done it correctly, your structure should look like this:
  • SDV Folder
    • Mods
      • [CP] Remove Building Fade
        • content.json
        • manifest.json
Once that's done, run SDV and see if it works. If you get any errors, post it back here and I'll help ya.

Unfortunately, with Content Patcher, there's no easy/fast way to do every building. So you'll need to figure out any/all buildings that you want to remove the fade from and apply them manually. I suppose if the request is great enough, I could just make the mod for you and post it to nexus so others can have access as well. Seems there's plenty of settings in SDV that people don't know they can affect.

As far as removing the fade from other buildings, just continue to add more values to that Fields bit above. It's pretty easy/straight forward once you get the hang of it. For example, expanding Fields to look like the following will disable fade for both the Cabin (aka the multiplayer buildings) and the Stable:

JSON:
"Fields": {
    "Cabin": {
    },
    "Stable": {
    }
}
As an example of other things you could change, you could also hide the shadow by modifying "DrawShadow": false. The following will cause the Farmhouse to not fade and also not have a shadow:

JSON:
"Farmhouse": {
    "FadeWhenBehind": false,
    "DrawShadow": false
}

LooneyLuny

Greenhorn
Thank you so much! I just tested it, and it's working for everything except the barn and coop. I'm sure it's because I'm not naming them correctly, but I'm not sure what else to list them as. Is there a resource that lists the names of things like buildings for CP code? I tried looking that up, but couldn't find buildings specifically.

UPDATE: I added the big shed to the list, had an issue with a typo in it and fixed that, now the barn and coop are working. @.@ No idea what the problem was but it's good now! Thank you so much for the help! ☆

Last edited:

Dyanosis

Tiller
The best way to know what things are called is to use StardewXnbHack, use it to unpack the game files, and then looking through the files within the Data directory as those files will have information about what the game actually uses. Any file in that directory with an upper case name (e.g. Buildings, Machines, etc) are the best to look at.

The only other way, that might help, is to look at the SDV Wiki for Modding and try to glean information there.

But, because I like making things as easy as possible for people, here are the names of all the vanilla buildings so you can reference them in your document (I've also included whether they have their FadeWhenBehind true or false):

Junimo Hut - True
Earth Obelisk - True
Water Obelisk - True
Desert Obelisk - True
Island Obelisk - True
Gold Clock - True
Coop - True
Barn - True
Well - True
Silo - True
Mill - True
Shed - True
Fish Pond - True
Cabin - True
Pet Bowl - False
Stable - True
Slime Hutch - True
Big Coop - True
Deluxe Coop - True
Big Barn - True
Deluxe Barn - True
Big Shed - True
Shipping Bin - True
Farmhouse - True
Greenhouse - True

LooneyLuny

Greenhorn
The best way to know what things are called is to use StardewXnbHack, use it to unpack the game files, and then looking through the files within the Data directory as those files will have information about what the game actually uses. Any file in that directory with an upper case name (e.g. Buildings, Machines, etc) are the best to look at.

The only other way, that might help, is to look at the SDV Wiki for Modding and try to glean information there.

But, because I like making things as easy as possible for people, here are the names of all the vanilla buildings so you can reference them in your document (I've also included whether they have their FadeWhenBehind true or false):

Junimo Hut - True
Earth Obelisk - True
Water Obelisk - True
Desert Obelisk - True
Island Obelisk - True
Gold Clock - True
Coop - True
Barn - True
Well - True
Silo - True
Mill - True
Shed - True
Fish Pond - True
Cabin - True
Pet Bowl - False
Stable - True
Slime Hutch - True
Big Coop - True
Deluxe Coop - True
Big Barn - True
Deluxe Barn - True
Big Shed - True
Shipping Bin - True
Farmhouse - True
Greenhouse - True
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate all your help with this, I had no idea where to even start. ^-^;

Dyanosis

Tiller
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate all your help with this, I had no idea where to even start. ^-^;
No problem at all. I'm a dev by trade so I tend to know where to look to find things. I'm also not afraid to try something and have it break as that's part of my every day life.

Plus, we all start somewhere! :) Glad I was able to help. The only thing I ask is that you pay it forward and help someone else when they need it!

LooneyLuny

Greenhorn
No problem at all. I'm a dev by trade so I tend to know where to look to find things. I'm also not afraid to try something and have it break as that's part of my every day life.

Plus, we all start somewhere! :) Glad I was able to help. The only thing I ask is that you pay it forward and help someone else when they need it!
I absolutely will! Sorry for the late response though, I've started on a new mod that I've been kinda obsessing over. lol Speaking of, time to make a post about another issue. ^^;