Marnie is so useless

Lew Zealand

Helper
Once folks get the hang of the various schedules of shop owners, it gets much easier and they'll start going to each place on the right days (or do wrong days less). If someone wants to become more serious about game schedules (not everyone wants to), they can check out the Shop Schedules wiki page:

I have this problem too, so I made a (very basic, rough draft) sortable calendar on my user page (might suck for other people's uses, it is missing the icons for quick recognition and awkward/not finalized, but works for me to sort by open/close time to plan a day and to look at the blocking of the days at least):

I hope all is well, and folks are enjoying their gameplay. 😁
I don't understand how you did that but it's really cool. Please don't waste your valuable time trying to explain it as I kind of like finding out how to do things like that but that's a really neat tool!

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
It's almost certainly a case of coincidence, but it *does* seem like Marnie's never there when you need her. I suspect it's 'cause I have to shop there so rarely, and thus I have a small data set to work with, but I definitely feel like she spends most of her time Not On-Task. Of course, she *also* has a farm, and judging by how much time it takes *me* to get my work done, I suppose it's pretty impressive that she can take even a few hours off to staff her store. :P

Johndeere756

Planter
Just like everyone else in Stardew Valley, Marnie is great. Every character has their own unique personality, and it really adds to the small town feel for me. Yes, I guess I may have gotten a little annoyed at her a couple of times when I first started playing, but she is still a fun part of the game for me. Shoot, I get annoyed at my dog sometimes ( usually when she chews up my shoes, lol) , but I still love her.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm gonna cut Marnie a bit of slack here because I think she is taken for granted by many of us here and in Stardew Valley itself. First off, she is hosting 2 children not her own (yes, one is grown) who need family, and Marnie is providing that out of the goodness of her heart. That gets her +10 :heart: from me, full stop.

Second, as mentioned by others, she has her own farm to run, being the only other early game primary producer in the Valley other than the Farmer. Later on, Krobus and the Dwarf become accessible and may also be primary producers, but their culture is not well explained in the game.

Third, she is also integrated into the Valley economy with her shop and while her, eh... varied accessibility is lamented by many (though not Lewis...), she is wearing many hats

And meta fourth, her relative inaccessibility is a game choice and forces us varied players to manage our weeks properly and does add to the overall gameplay, not detract from it. Obviously an IMO here but again, I see it as a relative plus. Mmmmm but a small and occasionally frustrating one.

And Fifth.

She's being chased around by an small-time, aging, local politician with major commitment issues.

Seriously. Cut Her Some Slack.

Just like everyone else in Stardew Valley, Marnie is great. Every character has their own unique personality, and it really adds to the small town feel for me. Yes, I guess I may have gotten a little annoyed at her a couple of times when I first started playing, but she is still a fun part of the game for me. Shoot, I get annoyed at my dog sometimes ( usually when she chews up my shoes, lol) , but I still love her.
Thanks folks. Yep, I completely agree, we can love a character and dislike them momentarily at the same time (for their behavior/habits or whatever)... same even goes for our own family members sometimes 😂 lol. This is part of the human condition and imo it is not to be suppressed. We're allowed to have funny and fraught thoughts and emotions, we aren't just avatars. Doesn't mean we always think this way, we just have moments and that's fine. Laughing about that doesn't have to be made into something else, humor is not extinct in my world or in my game, it thrives and I have fun with it. Life is meant to be enjoyed.

Last edited:

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I'm gonna cut Marnie a bit of slack here because I think she is taken for granted by many of us here and in Stardew Valley itself. First off, she is hosting 2 children not her own (yes, one is grown) who need family, and Marnie is providing that out of the goodness of her heart. That gets her +10 :heart: from me, full stop.

Second, as mentioned by others, she has her own farm to run, being the only other early game primary producer in the Valley other than the Farmer. Later on, Krobus and the Dwarf become accessible and may also be primary producers, but their culture is not well explained in the game.

Third, she is also integrated into the Valley economy with her shop and while her, eh... varied accessibility is lamented by many (though not Lewis...), she is wearing many hats

And meta fourth, her relative inaccessibility is a game choice and forces us varied players to manage our weeks properly and does add to the overall gameplay, not detract from it. Obviously an IMO here but again, I see it as a relative plus. Mmmmm but a small and occasionally frustrating one.

And Fifth.

She's being chased around by an small-time, aging, local politician with major commitment issues.

Seriously. Cut Her Some Slack.
You're right. ...especially about number 5. :smile: Every game has that one default NPC player that doesn't conform the way you want them to. It's not Marnie's fault she drew the short straw. I do like her character as a citizen. When she walks through town she has a very approachable style to her. And above all else, I have to remind myself, when I'm out picking blackberries or slaying slimes she's just standing behind the counter waiting. Who else buys supplies from her but me? So I formally rebut my remark about her being useless. But I stand by the fact that she can, at times, be annoying. :wink:

benjellyman

Planter
Everyone is saying marnie always stares at the microwave when she shouldn't, but then imnvs the grey seems to know some bit bout sdv so I don't know who's side I should be on

I'm just saying, considering Shane's story and arc, it would make all the sense in the world for him to help out by running the shop on the days Marnie isn't available. Why can't we be rewarded for investing our time and energy in that jerk by increased shop hours so our poor animals don't needlessly suffer if it's Winter 1 and we realize we forgot to buy a heater, or it's any Monday and we realize we're out of hay (and our farm has long since become a barren wasteland where no hay can be acquired XD) Personally I'm down for her taking off 3 or even 4 days a week, I just don't see why Shane can't step up in the meantime.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Everyone is saying marnie always stares at the microwave when she shouldn't, but then imnvs the grey seems to know some bit bout sdv so I don't know who's side I should be on
I'm just saying, considering Shane's story and arc, it would make all the sense in the world for him to help out by running the shop on the days Marnie isn't available. Why can't we be rewarded for investing our time and energy in that jerk by increased shop hours so our poor animals don't needlessly suffer if it's Winter 1 and we realize we forgot to buy a heater, or it's any Monday and we realize we're out of hay (and our farm has long since become a barren wasteland where no hay can be acquired XD) Personally I'm down for her taking off 3 or even 4 days a week, I just don't see why Shane can't step up in the meantime.
I'm kinda surprised they didn't do that as the next step after the Jojo Market storyline. It makes total sense. Shane wants to contribute more, be there for Jas. He could do both by hanging out behind the counter. Just think of how many new pairs of awesome Crocs he could by if Marnie paid him for a few hours of work a week. :proud:

Elenna101

Farmer
I mostly just wish Shane had literally any job after we finish the CC, instead of hanging around in the saloon all day. Even if he's not drinking, it can't be good for him to have nothing to do but stand in the mostly-empty saloon. Him working at Marnie's sounds like a cool idea!

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I mostly just wish Shane had literally any job after we finish the CC, instead of hanging around in the saloon all day. Even if he's not drinking, it can't be good for him to have nothing to do but stand in the mostly-empty saloon. Him working at Marnie's sounds like a cool idea!
Yes! Especially with the story line he already has. He's gotten sober and he's ready for a positive change in his life. When we were allowed in the backroom behind the kitchen and he was making the sign I kind of thought that's where the storyline was going. But then, you can't access that area after that. Maybe there's more to the Shane story than we know so far.