Marnie is so useless

PookieDoodle

Rancher
First day of Spring standing at the counter while she's in the kitchen microwaving something.

Me: "HEY MARNIE. I JUST NEED TO BUY A CHICKEN AND MAYBE A GOAT OR TWO."

Marnie: "Sorry, hun. Today's the day I stand in front of the microwave for hours on end. And tomorrow's no good either, I'll be at Ginger Island and the shop will be closed."

Me: "ok"

Marnie: "Oh, and by the way, the day after that's no good either. That's the day I stand next to my dresser trying to decide if I'll wear a leotard to work out with the other ladies. Knowing, that I'll just wear what I have on."

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Even when Clint takes off for the day, he leaves an honor box. So I don't even need another warm body in the room. And yes, I appreciate you can't go around buying cows through an honor box. lol But I think the next update needs to address how much time is wasted waiting on her to be standing behind the counter. It gets annoying when you're trying to stay on task and she's in the darn house!!

Ereo

Helper
Come on, she works Saturday and Sunday. Everybody deserves two days off in a week.
It's not that hard to plan around her not being there Monday and Tuesday.

And don't they all leave a box when going to the resort?

I have to agree, she has rather poor work ethic lol. The only time she can be counted on it feels like is 9 am on the dot at her counter, really cramps my play style lol. 🤪

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, yikes... I admit that I've ran out of hay on Monday before, and it sucks... but honestly, I'm with @Ereo and think being there 5 days a week regularly (except on those odd days she heads to the island, and that isn't common without bad luck) is good. The only NPCs in town with a better work ethic are Pierre (starts working 6 days/week and moves to 7), Clint (starts at 7 days/week and moves to 6), Pam (works 7 days a week once the bus is repaired) and Gus (7 days/week). Just because we as the farmer work 7 days aweek of almost 18 hours every day all year long doesn't mean they should also.

This was a humorous thing for me, that she is the "flaky" shop owner, since by comparison the rest are reasonably reliable heheheh. Humor aside I think many are just so used to an open store having staff during reliable and sensible open hours/days, that it translates into our in-game expectations, which is funny. If they we're going for realism, then two days a week off and reliable shop hours would be nice, but it's cute, and quirky, and I suspect that’s why we love it. 😋 Predictability perhaps also takes some of the challenge out which can steal some magic from the game maybe, as much as it might drive us a little bonkers now and then lol.

Last edited:

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I appreciate that she needs days off too. But I'd rather not be able to get into her shop at all than go in and she's standing in her room or at the microwave for six hours straight. I don't get annoyed when Willy's out fishing...because he's OUT fishing. So Marnie, just lock your front door or at least shut your bedroom door so I don't see you standing there with your back towards me. I guess it's the rudeness that bugs me.

imnvs

Local Legend
I appreciate that she needs days off too. But I'd rather not be able to get into her shop at all than go in and she's standing in her room or at the microwave for six hours straight. I don't get annoyed when Willy's out fishing...because he's OUT fishing. So Marnie, just lock your front door or at least shut your bedroom door so I don't see you standing there with your back towards me. I guess it's the rudeness that bugs me.
But... it's her house too, not just her shop. Like, you can walk into Pam's house when she's there staring at the sink, so why not walk into Marnie's?

And isn't it rude to walk into someone's house/place of business and demand service despite them saying they aren't conducting business right now too? I mean... you don't walk into McDonalds when it is closed and start complaining about how the folks cleaning up won't make you a Big Mac, do you?

benjellyman

Planter
But... it's her house too, not just her shop. Like, you can walk into Pam's house when she's there staring at the sink, so why not walk into Marnie's?

And isn't it rude to walk into someone's house/place of business and demand service despite them saying they aren't conducting business right now too? I mean... you don't walk into McDonalds when it is closed and start complaining about how the folks cleaning up won't make you a Big Mac, do you?
We are actually complaining how when marnie should be working during her work hours, she in front of the microwave. This is like saying we walk up to the McDonald's cash register person and instead of taking orders, she/he is staring at the floor for ten minuets. Btw she does say something like come by our shop anytime you want. 90% of the time I come in during work hours she in making pumpkin pie in the microwave (oof if I'm wrong)

PookieDoodle

Rancher
We are actually complaining how when marnie should be working during her work hours, she in front of the microwave. This is like saying we walk up to the McDonald's cash register person and instead of taking orders, she/he is staring at the floor for ten minuets. Btw she does say something like come by our shop anytime you want. 90% of the time I come in during work hours she in making pumpkin pie in the microwave (oof if I'm wrong)
The microwave thing is annoying....because of how LONG she stands there. I mean, it's a microwave. Five minutes tops. But it's not as annoying as standing by the dresser. She's only a few feet away. I'm like, can't I just leave my coin on the counter and grab a chicken from the coop? lol

imnvs

Local Legend
Except if it's not working hours if it's a day she doesn't work. It's not working hours if it is a day she works but outside those hours.

...and I can only assume you're going there outside of those times and complaining because YOU screwed up. You didn't get there early enough. You didn't get there on the correct day. Honesly, I'm actually starting to get offended on her behalf. Just because you can see her from her shop counter doesn't mean you're entitled to her working her job outside of HER normal working hours.

Except if it's not working hours if it's a day she doesn't work. It's not working hours if it is a day she works but outside those hours.

...and I can only assume you're going there outside of those times and complaining because YOU screwed up. You didn't get there early enough. You didn't get there on the correct day. Honesly, I'm actually starting to get offended on her behalf. Just because you can see her from her shop counter doesn't mean you're entitled to her working her job outside of HER normal working hours.
Folks are allowed to have differing opinions on a game's features, conflicting schedules is one of those features that inconveniences, so I think it naturally is going to be one that people comment about from time to time, and that's fine (I think this inherent conflict is designed). Perhaps personal fault is not necessary to enter into? Perhaps also the statements can be refined to say that some players aren't stoked with her opening hours/days as compared to other characters and they personally find this inconvenient and/or annoying. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed by this from time to time too. I see complaints about this all over reddit and several on the forums, it appears to be a common one, it is one of those both fun and not-fun problems in the game that makes it interesting.

Sometimes folks just want to vent (emote) about the stuff that is driving them bonkers and relate to others who run into the same things.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Perhaps personal fault is not necessary to enter into?
Okay, it is not like I have not been inconvenienced, and honestly, I've been inconvenienced just so many times... but I understand it's inconvenient because of how I schedule my day or how I prioritize the things I get done during a day. My biggest annoyance when it comes to inconvenient schedule differences? Clint, but I know that it's all because of MY schedule not lining up with his and MY habits that I'm inconvenienced. Dude works every day until the CC is complete and then works 6 days/week after that. He works a lot. It's that 4pm quit time that gets me most, but that he takes Friday off also gets me occasionally. The only reason I schedule other things to happen on Fridays (like I plan my ancient fruit for Friday harvest) is because I know I can't go to Clint's on Fridays.

...but the thing is, though, that I don't go around telling everyone he's useless because I'm personally inconvenienced. Honestly, the word that comes to mind? Karen. I don't want to be a Karen.

Okay, it is not like I have not been inconvenienced, and honestly, I've been inconvenienced just so many times... but I understand it's inconvenient because of how I schedule my day or how I prioritize the things I get done during a day. My biggest annoyance when it comes to inconvenient schedule differences? Clint, but I know that it's all because of MY schedule not lining up with his and MY habits that I'm inconvenienced. Dude works every day until the CC is complete and then works 6 days/week after that. He works a lot. It's that 4pm quit time that gets me most, but that he takes Friday off also gets me occasionally. The only reason I schedule other things to happen on Fridays (like I plan my ancient fruit for Friday harvest) is because I know I can't go to Clint's on Fridays.

...but the thing is, though, that I don't go around telling everyone he's useless because I'm personally inconvenienced. Honestly, the word that comes to mind? Karen. I don't want to be a Karen.
@imnvs, I get it, I dont think your point was missed, I just think when folks want to emote with humor about something, they don't necessarily find it desirable or helpful to hear: "it's your own fault," or to be taken so seriously. It isnt super useful to argue with someone else's emotions, emotions are not logical. I'd generally think players are aware that they are in the driver's seat.

I don't think anyone is "go[ing] around telling everyone" a character is useless in a single post (not how I interpreted ), I read it as hyperbole for the sake of effect/comic relief. This was about someone's own feelings and impression from a moment of frustration in gameplay. I cracked an immediate grin and chuckled when reading because I'd had nearly the same frustration in my gameplay at times, when hurried, excited or tired and not remembering to check schedules. 😆 There is frankly too much to look at and explore to go about memorizing or constantly reviewing schedules early in the game, the menu items alone are vast, let alone the buildings, character etc lol... discussing or emoting about the inherent conflict in the game is not disallowed or bad. But, we each get to choose how to interpret and then respond to things.

I think your heart is in the right place, you clearly care about the game a lot. Longer-term players can sometimes forget that early in gameplay there is a ton going on for newer players to see and learn, and they cant get it all perfect or right. Many are probably playing casually for enjoyment (possibly not serious or focused on what they are or aren't getting perfectly right). Not everyone wants to have to abide by wonky schedules and plan in a game, some come to relax and prefer free, improvisational gameplay. In the end there is no wrong way to play a game and people's feelings about any aspect are valid. If they don't want to figure out schedules, they are free to express dismay at one that doesn't adhere to societal norms where they live.

I would guess you've become quite attached to the characters and are looking at them and the game from a different lens than early players may be, and that's great. It is nice you connected with the game so deeply. 🙂

I'll try a solutions-oriented statement, since blame is as problem-focused as venting is:
Once folks get the hang of the various schedules of shop owners, it gets much easier and they'll start going to each place on the right days (or do wrong days less). If someone wants to become more serious about game schedules (not everyone wants to), they can check out the Shop Schedules wiki page:

I have this problem too, so I made a (very basic, rough draft) sortable calendar on my user page (might suck for other people's uses, it is missing the icons for quick recognition and awkward/not finalized, but works for me to sort by open/close time to plan a day and to look at the blocking of the days at least):

I hope all is well, and folks are enjoying their gameplay. 😁

Last edited: