Issue MacBook trying to create new directory (multiplayer)

dingusdono

Cowpoke
I've asked about this question on Discord and the SMAPI subreddit but in case it got buried I'm making a post here as well.

My friend (the MacBook user) and I (Windows user, save host) tried to play modded SV multiplayer but my friend's game would freeze and crash shortly after joining my save. Her SMAPI console says something is trying to create a directory and a number of Discord users say it's 'strange' that even happened in the first place. Can someone help interpret this for us and provide solutions? Many thanks in advance.

My friend's log: https://smapi.io/log/d9f15e75fab44d8fb0a2680bad0cb8e4

My log: https://smapi.io/log/3533af3a34e246bfacc04e577a2e8ded

I've asked about this question on Discord and the SMAPI subreddit but in case it got buried I'm making a post here as well.

My friend (the MacBook user) and I (Windows user, save host) tried to play modded SV multiplayer but my friend's game would freeze and crash shortly after joining my save. Her SMAPI console says something is trying to create a directory and a number of Discord users say it's 'strange' that even happened in the first place. Can someone help interpret this for us and provide solutions? Many thanks in advance.

My friend's log: https://smapi.io/log/d9f15e75fab44d8fb0a2680bad0cb8e4

My log: https://smapi.io/log/3533af3a34e246bfacc04e577a2e8ded
Thanks for the logs. First I'd recommend y'all both update the mods that SMAPI recommends in the "Suggested Fixes" section at the top.

As for the directory error that users are saying is strange. It is a bit odd.
Code:
22:31:29     ERROR     game     An error occurred in the base update loop: IOException: The file '/Users/celeste/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/StardewValley' already exists.
   at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath)
   at StardewValley.Program.WriteLog(LogType logType, String message, Boolean append)
   at StardewValley.Multiplayer.LogDisconnect(DisconnectType disconnectType)
   at StardewValley.Network.Client.receiveMessages()
   at StardewValley.Menus.FarmhandMenu.update(GameTime time)
   at StardewValley.Menus.TitleMenu.update(GameTime time)
   at StardewValley.Game1.updateActiveMenu(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate)
I don't have a MacOS to test further, as I'm on Linux. But, here on Linux I have 2 folders that SDV uses outside of the game folder. It should be pretty similar for MacOS users.

First Location with the following folders, and files: ~/.config/StardewValley
Code:
├── default_options
├── ErrorLogs
│   └── SMAPI-latest.txt
├── Saves
└── startup_preferences
Second Location with the following folders: ~/.local/share/StardewValley
Code:
├── DisconnectLogs
├── ErrorLogs
└── Screenshots
Your friends log makes me think either it's incorrectly trying to create a folder, or reporting the folder incorrectly. Since, it's a disconnect error. I think it may be trying to create the "StardewValley/DisconnectLogs" folders under "~/.local/share/"; assuming it doesn't already exist for your friend.

Although, I'm not sure if SMAPI even uses that folder when it disconnects or if it keeps it all in the SMAPI log; as I don't really play co-op.
But, try to have them check with "Finder" if that 2nd location exists. Just in case it's some sort of permission/pathing issue.

dingusdono

Cowpoke
According to my friend, the second location exists with all three folders present. As it stands we still occasionally run into the same issue at rather random intervals; we usually can't get through a few minutes irl before she would be kicked from our save.

Anything else we could do? Thanks for your prior feedback.

According to my friend, the second location exists with all three folders present. As it stands we still occasionally run into the same issue at rather random intervals; we usually can't get through a few minutes irl before she would be kicked from our save.

Anything else we could do? Thanks for your prior feedback.
That's odd; then perhaps it is a name conflict with the default SDV script inside the game folder. But, I'm not sure what would be causing that.

Did y'all manage to update the game mods that the logs suggested? If so, can you post new logs.

Lastly, you could try to have your friend backup their mod folder. Uninstall SDV completely; then reinstall SDV & SMAPI Then copy back the mods.
Just to see if a clean reinstall of the game would help any.
Otherwise, I'm not too sure; sorry.

dingusdono

Cowpoke
Try as we might, the mods that claim to have updates are already at their latest versions on Nexus, and they gave us no other sources to download them from.

In addition, we both tried uninstalling and reinstalling both SV and SMAPI (and shifting our mods away and back), to which the problem briefly disappeared for about a day. As I'm making this post the problem has resurfaced again; a few irl minutes into the game and my friend would be kicked.

Try as we might, the mods that claim to have updates are already at their latest versions on Nexus, and they gave us no other sources to download them from.

In addition, we both tried uninstalling and reinstalling both SV and SMAPI (and shifting our mods away and back), to which the problem briefly disappeared for about a day. As I'm making this post the problem has resurfaced again; a few irl minutes into the game and my friend would be kicked.
Yes, taking another look I see for example Farmer to Florist doesn't have an updated manifest file. Though it does seem to be using DGA now; not JA.

Hrm, then I'm not too sure; sorry. The only other errors in the log are a few things that are missing files or being skipped; like for translations.

Any further troubleshooting would be old fashioned trial and error testing. Like running SMAPI, but with no mods loaded for either of y'all on a new save. Or ensuring y'all are both using the exact same set of mods, or even just switching to an unmodded SDV, and seeing if the disconnect errors still occur in a vanilla playthrough.

There's also the compatibility branch, if it still occurs in vanilla playthroughs. Though, unfortunately wouldn't have any mod support; as SMAPI doesn't work on that version.

dingusdono

Cowpoke
Noted, thank you.

Just wondering though, given the odd/uncommon occurrence of this issue, would it be okay if I tried directly asking some of the more experienced people on the SV Discord for help, or even CA himself? It seems like an opportunity to document this issue and provide references for other players with the same predicament to solve it themselves.

Noted, thank you.

Just wondering though, given the odd/uncommon occurrence of this issue, would it be okay if I tried directly asking some of the more experienced people on the SV Discord for help, or even CA himself? It seems like an opportunity to document this issue and provide references for other players with the same predicament to solve it themselves.
No prob.

Yea, you're certainly free to do so. You don't need my permission. The more eyes on this the better.

Though as I mentioned, y'all will want to do some manual troubleshooting without mods in the vanilla game.
If you can reproduce it there as well; than it's obviously a base issue with SDV. Or something with the way SDV is acting on MacOS

From there you can post a new thread in the "Help & Bug Report (Non-Modded)" section for ConcernedApe to see.: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/forums/help-bug-reports-non-modded.12/

----

If it's only happening in modded; then yea, maybe pop into the discord again, or reddit. You can link them this thread, and I'd recommend also sending them some new logs as well.