Mac Mac Controller support

RyansLeftArm

Newcomer
Hey!

I've played Stardew valley for around a hundred hours on my pc, and I want to play on the go on my MacBook. I have the same steam account that I use for both so my progress saves between my MacBook and pc. However I would like to be able to use my wireless xbox controller on my Mac for Stardew. The controller works for all my other games and steam games however it will not work for Stardew. When I launch the game it does not detect the controller so I cannot use it, I understand that this is a rare use case however it would be greatly appreciated if I could have some help getting the controller to work. I am using an M2 MacBook Pro which uses an M2 pro chip if that helps solve anything. Thanks so much for your support.

jamierparks

Greenhorn
I'm in the same boat. I'm willing to use xbox, ps5, or even generic. I bought an xbox controller and know it won't work. I don't want to buy any other controller until I can find online that it does indeed work.

jamierparks

Greenhorn
I actually just stumbled upon this old post http://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-xbox-and-ps4-controller-not-working-works-in-steam-and-other-games.3949/post-60203

Even though it was for a previous version of macOS I gave it a shot and it worked. Xbox controller is working! One thing I should say is I got my game through GOG and not Steam so finding where to install the file wasn't clear. It goes inside the app. There is a folder full of libs and one of them was this one. I renamed it to old and copied in the new one and it worked.

wildandblue

Sodbuster
I find the GOG version much easier to deal with and can play on my M2 Mac with my DS4. Super easy to connect and play both vanilla and modded. I tried Steam three years ago only for SDV, and it was too frustrating to try to get things to work with a controller, so I gave up.

Last edited:

safetypin

Greenhorn
I'm using the GOG version, and SDV recognizes my xbox controller and switches to gamepad mode, but the none of the inputs are active. It appears that ConcernedApe has updated the libSDL2 library to 2.0.0, which was the suggestion in the old thread mentioned above, but when I replaced it anyway, SDV wouldn't run. Just started to launch and then went away without errors.

I'm running a M2 Max with Sonoma (14.0), and when I first started using it, I found that I had to apply a gamepad profile to the controller. It works in some games (Oceanhorn 2 from the App store, and Tangledeep from GOG), so it's not a problem with the controller and the OS configuration. Does anyone have any updated suggestions?

fellandean

Farmhand
I'm using the GOG version, and SDV recognizes my xbox controller and switches to gamepad mode, but the none of the inputs are active. It appears that ConcernedApe has updated the libSDL2 library to 2.0.0, which was the suggestion in the old thread mentioned above, but when I replaced it anyway, SDV wouldn't run. Just started to launch and then went away without errors.
It is important to check your Steam settings or in-game settings for controller settings. For general optimization of your Mac that can improve gameplay, visit https://setapp.com/how-to/clean-up-and-optimize-your-mac Here you can get help with problems that arise on your Mac
I'm running a M2 Max with Sonoma (14.0), and when I first started using it, I found that I had to apply a gamepad profile to the controller. It works in some games (Oceanhorn 2 from the App store, and Tangledeep from GOG), so it's not a problem with the controller and the OS configuration. Does anyone have any updated suggestions?
need to try it,thanks for the info

Last edited: