Life on a Swamp Farm

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
Before Update 1.6 introduced the Meadowlands Farm, there was some speculation that a Swamp Farm was going to be added to the game. And while I'm happy for the ranchers out there, I am one of the few who was actually looking forward to a Swamp Farm as a way to get into my witchy side.

While I settled for a Wilderness Farm as my headcanon's second choice, I came to realize that a Swamp Farm may still have a place in the Valley, if not for those looking for a gloomier vibe to their farm, but to represent a type of farmer not normally talked about:

TARGET AUDIENCE
-It is a farm for trappers, with a greater chance to catch crabs, crayfish, and shrimp. You start with 15 bait as a gift from Mayor Lewis in a Louisiana-inspired home, with 4 crab pots already planted at a nearby pond.

LANDSCAPE FEATURES
-The landscape is a mix of bogs and ponds, with a larger body of water surrounding the rest of farm with trees jetting out and around.
-Artifact Spots have a greater chance of spawning, and a Special Artifact Spot unique to the farm for greater rewards, so you'll see more wiggly worms or twigs crawling out of the mud.
-Moss has a chance to grow on trees in this environment, as well as mushrooms for forage.
-Fireflies come out at night during the summer season.
-Frogs are also more common.

DAMP SOIL
-To give a muddier look to the farm, all dirt tiles are a darker color, but function the same as regular dirt tiles, with a couple exceptions:
1.) All tillable tiles have a chance to retain water the following morning at random.
2.) Allows for irrigatable crops such as rice to be planted anywhere.

SWAMP WATER
-If there is a need to add some difficulty to the farm, ponds and bogs don't contain freshwater for watering plants, pressuring the player to go a nearby river or lake for water until they build a well. The trouble of this is negated by having part of your crops watered at random from the damp soil.
-Fishing in these waters mostly catches algae and trash. Maybe there's a chance for a unique catch with enough fishing skill.

MUD
-On rainy days, the soil becomes muddy, slowing the player down a considerable amount. This can be negated by placing pathways to walk across.
-Crab pot rewards double in this weather, however.
-(Animals may or may not be effected).

FOG
-Fog helps to create that ominous looking atmosphere, and could water all crops automatically like rain.
-It could simply limit visibility, or be a chance for a unique type of enemy to spawn.
-The extra humidity could drain energy faster than normal, possibly spawning bug type enemies in the process.

ENEMIES
-If enemies are enabled, bats are replaced with bug type monsters that fly around your farm. This can be an excellent way to farm bait on your farm as a trapper without going to the mines.
-Occasionally stumble across the crab hiding under a rock enemy type. The mole type enemy could spawn too, but that could be very annoying if it's in your crops.

That's pretty much the gist of it. I came out here wanting a witch's cabin farm, but found myself brainstorming something for the trappers and artifact hunters out there. Let me know if you have any other ideas you want to add and I can add them to the list.

Last edited:

Bawby

Planter
Not bad ideas. Added challenges though, fishing in the waters are interrupted by the occasional scuffle with a water moccasin and faster energy loss from obscene humidity levels/being carried away by mosquitoes.

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
Not bad ideas. Added challenges though, fishing in the waters are interrupted by the occasional scuffle with a water moccasin and faster energy loss from obscene humidity levels/being carried away by mosquitoes.
I suppose if you had enemies turned on, you would see more bug types flying around as opposed to bats, which could help with acquiring more bait...

Edit: ...and you might also see that crab under a rock or mole type enemy, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Bubs

Tiller
I think CA could be bolder sometimes. I really appreciate his effort and the free content, but i miss some major changes. Maybe I am just ungrateful.

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
I think CA could be bolder sometimes. I really appreciate his effort and the free content, but i miss some major changes. Maybe I am just ungrateful.
Well, he is developing another game. I was shocked to see a green rain event on my farm today. It was absolutely wild. But this is my first real playthrough, so I don't know how to compare it to other updates, and so a lot of this is new to me. The Meadowlands Farm on its own is a bold choice for stepping outside the box with hay instead of parsnips. Maybe I'm easy to entertain, hahaha.

Bubs

Tiller
Well, he is developing another game. I was shocked to see a green rain event on my farm today. It was absolutely wild. But this is my first real playthrough, so I don't know how to compare it to other updates, and so a lot of this is new to me. The Meadowlands Farm on its own is a bold choice for stepping outside the box with hay instead of parsnips. Maybe I'm easy to entertain, hahaha.
Yes, the green rain is an example of a welcome and unexpected addition. I'd really like to see more of this. The Meadowlands was just ok...not much innovation IMO.

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
Yes, the green rain is an example of a welcome and unexpected addition. I'd really like to see more of this. The Meadowlands was just ok...not much innovation IMO.
I suppose it could be hard to innovate what has already been innovated. A lot of the changes made was like the addition of a delectable garnish on top of an already fine dish. But I guess you were craving for another course, which makes sense.

Ultimately, I appear on these forums to stand behind the Swamp Farm, the very carrot on the stick that led me back to Stardew Valley after a few years' absence. That, and a whetted appetite to try out the game again once 1.6 dropped.

Bubs

Tiller
I suppose it could be hard to innovate what has already been innovated. A lot of the changes made was like the addition of a delectable garnish on top of an already fine dish. But I guess you were craving for another course, your concern makes sense.

Ultimately, I appear on these forums to stand behind the Swamp Farm, the very carrot on the stick that led me back to Stardew Valley after a few years' absence. That, and a whetted appetite to try out the game again once 1.6 dropped.
I mean...this is one of my favourite games of all time as it is. Buuut....if an update is intended, more dramatic changes can be performed, like the swamp farm and ALL the nuances suggested by the community.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Honestly your suggestions are a pretty big mixed bag though I could totally see certain ones implemented, if not as a feature then as a mod. People really hyped the swamp without too much evidence and a lot of people got disappointed so maybe some modmaker will appear and appease those who were let down by their own expectations.

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
Honestly your suggestions are a pretty big mixed bag though I could totally see certain ones implemented, if not as a feature then as a mod. People really hyped the swamp without too much evidence and a lot of people got disappointed so maybe some modmaker will appear and appease those who were let down by their own expectations.
Agreed. "Let down by their own expectations" is exactly what it feels like (even though I still love the farm I am creating). Where would someone start to learn modding for 1.6 as someone new to this forum?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Agreed. "Let down by their own expectations" is exactly what it feels like (even though I still love the farm I am creating). Where would someone start to learn modding for 1.6 as someone new to this forum?
There are modded threads but there is also a stardew valley discord with many modders and modding help channels which would probably be the best entrance into doing so.

Heramegu

Greenhorn
Im suggesting something similar in my post Starting items according to farm map. I guess changing starting item+first mission+some crafted items (like crabpot in this case) is viable.

And for what I'm seeing, Meadowslands Fam convinced us that it could be a new starting point.

However, I have to say that each mechanic added to your suggestion demand a lot of work, and that would make it harder to develop. Hope that any modder can do it.

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
Im suggesting something similar in my post Starting items according to farm map. I guess changing starting item+first mission+some crafted items (like crabpot in this case) is viable.

And for what I'm seeing, Meadowslands Fam convinced us that it could be a new starting point.

However, I have to say that each mechanic added to your suggestion demand a lot of work, and that would make it harder to develop. Hope that any modder can do it.
I see what you mean with that post you made. A Riverland Farm would definitely benefit from early bait and a crab pot, and is on theme for a fishing farm. Same with the forest farm and its additional tappers.

I think the reason those suggestions wouldn't get picked up goes along with the basic idea that you are inheriting a *farm,* and not necessarily anything else even if those advantages are there.

However, saying that, I do recognize that receiving a coop and two chickens is already a 6000g start. So, for the sake of balance, and support for the theme of the farm, I would agree with you about implementing those little extra nods towards the farm's theme. For example, the Riverland Farm could start with a fishing pond, even if you start out with parsnips - that sort of thing.

Last point I want to make here, for the sake of simplicity and priority, the Swamp Farm as a mod should have:
1.) a landscape design that is on theme with that biome
2.) house decor to match
3.) code to reflect increased chances for trapping (basically give a reason to choose this farm)
4.) XX bait to replace parsnips and X crab pots on farm

Saying all this, it would be really hard to beat the Beach Farm unless that Swamp Farm has an unforgettable feel and flavor that can appeal to a demographic of players. If it can reach that audience of trappers and witchy tricksters (really anyone looking for that goth or gloomy look), then mission accomplished. But, I also think a realist could chime in and say, "y'know there's a mod for that."

Baalthuzar

Greenhorn
A second realist could counter with, “console players can’t easily mod their game.”
Oof, big facts.

Well, the most I can do as a non-modder is design a farm map layout (a deep fake graphic) for what my vision looks like if I know where the textures or set pieces are.

I know some fan ideas do bubble to the surface for CA to implement (not sure what platform that is more common on), but I also absolutely understand if all efforts and love is on Haunted Chocolateer though.