Is anyone else here homeschooled?

Is anyone else here home-schooled?

• Total voters
I know a millionaire. He lives an unassuming life, paid off his mortgage, was a small business owner; he sold the business to retire. Now he works at a store that he likes and enjoys. He makes a budget and keeps to it. I only know that he's a millionaire because my dad was a good friend of his. Anyone can be a millionaire with good financial discipline.

I think people should not discount trade schools. As having gone to the traditional college, it was horrible and boring! My husband went to a trade school and accomplished far more than I did in only 6 months! Seriously 4 years vs 6 months!?!

A person can self-teach a lot of different things too. I read and study law in my down time... Not that I plan on having a career using it. I just find it fascinating. However, some people treat me like I'm an idiot on any legal matter because I am self-taught. This tends to be in personal discussions and then, even if I go online and open up the penal code or statutes to corroborate what I am saying they simply don't listen and get vulgar. In this I think the way people learn is not the problem.

As far as being in touch with reality, well you can say my story is the complete opposite. I spend so much time in reality that I need to escape from time to time, and that is video games. This is not always easy as I have 2 kids, but occasionally I get stressed out too much and need to calm down.
Try going to the store with $75 and getting groceries for a family of 4 for two weeks, that will effectively bring reality back and maybe even a stomachache to go with it too! I think if the politicians did that than they might be a bit more in tune with their constituents.
I completely agree, actually! I'm also seriously considering going to a trade school as well, I just know that if I'm going to go to college it will be when the military can pay for it... Unfortunately, as I am in a family of 10 I know that grocery shopping is quite difficult (that is actually where the majority of our money goes).

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
it has been many eons since i was in school, but i went to public elementary school and then after some issues with middle school i went to a private school from 6th-8th grade. despite how private school sounds it really is not for only rich people, it was a very small school of lower-middle class kids like me. i enjoyed it, but i do think it put me back a bit when i went back to public school in 9th grade (i begged my parents to let me go to a public school, they wanted to send me to early college initially)

i loved my high school so i'm glad i got to experience it, but of course the opinion depends on the person, and of course the school. i feel like i was lucky with my school as far as some things go, my favorite teacher inspired me to ultimately pursue writing as a career goal, and there are experiences i've had that have helped shape me as a person. there are lots of awful public and private schools out there, and homeschooling isn't perfect either, it just depends on the person and what suits their needs best, but i do think it's important if you go to a much smaller school that you need to still try to have something that lets you interact with people often and make friends since that is a big part of the learning experience at least IMO

it has been many eons since i was in school, but i went to public elementary school and then after some issues with middle school i went to a private school from 6th-8th grade. despite how private school sounds it really is not for only rich people, it was a very small school of lower-middle class kids like me. i enjoyed it, but i do think it put me back a bit when i went back to public school in 9th grade (i begged my parents to let me go to a public school, they wanted to send me to early college initially)

i loved my high school so i'm glad i got to experience it, but of course the opinion depends on the person, and of course the school. i feel like i was lucky with my school as far as some things go, my favorite teacher inspired me to ultimately pursue writing as a career goal, and there are experiences i've had that have helped shape me as a person. there are lots of awful public and private schools out there, and homeschooling isn't perfect either, it just depends on the person and what suits their needs best, but i do think it's important if you go to a much smaller school that you need to still try to have something that lets you interact with people often and make friends since that is a big part of the learning experience at least IMO
many eons...

Hollowess

Farmhand
I am also homeschooling! I started because of the pandemic, so it's been 2 years in homeschool now and I've actually been enjoying it much more than I did in public school. I'm thinking of continuing to homeschool for the remainder of my school years even after the pandemic ends. It just saves me from the drama and bullying that comes along with school, and I don't want to deal with that. I just want to focus on my work, and I've been doing that better in homeschool.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
I wish that I could put 50 hearts after some of these posts, because they are so honest and true. For me, my father was a powerful naval officer, and my schooling consisted of moving constantly from public school to public school (over 30 schools in 12 years). Considering that I was small, friendless, emotionally hammered both at home and at school, and not the brightest crayon in the box, homeschooling would have been a blessing. Kenosha Wisconsin has been in the news lately. That name brought back a memory to me . . . It was early December, and we had just moved there from New London, Connecticut. It was my first day at this school, and school was over for the day, and I was standing alone outside the building. Everyone else was gone. I had no idea where I was. I didn't know where Wisconsin was, much less whether my new home was one mile or ten miles from the school. I didn't know my address or phone number. Snow was everywhere, and I was freezing. My dad (who to be honest, had planned to be on time to pick me up) was held up two hours at a meeting. I waited. I'd really like to erase the blackboard of even worse memories of school.

I wish that I could put 50 hearts after some of these posts, because they are so honest and true. For me, my father was a powerful naval officer, and my schooling consisted of moving constantly from public school to public school (over 30 schools in 12 years). Considering that I was small, friendless, emotionally hammered both at home and at school, and not the brightest crayon in the box, homeschooling would have been a blessing. Kenosha Wisconsin has been in the news lately. That name brought back a memory to me . . . It was early December, and we had just moved there from New London, Connecticut. It was my first day at this school, and school was over for the day, and I was standing alone outside the building. Everyone else was gone. I had no idea where I was. I didn't know where Wisconsin was, much less whether my new home was one mile or ten miles from the school. I didn't know my address or phone number. Snow was everywhere, and I was freezing. My dad (who to be honest, had planned to be on time to pick me up) was held up two hours at a meeting. I waited. I'd really like to erase the blackboard of even worse memories of school.
Man, I can't say I understand what you went through. My mom and dad pulled me out of public school pretty darn quick. All I wanted to do was read and they were kind of stunting my developmental growth. The closest I know of that even comes near to what your experiences were is the way my dad was raised. He actually kind of did erase those memories from his mind. He doesn't remember the majority of them. His brother was sick with cancer (or something similar to it) for most of his childhood. He moved from state to state, I think like 10 times. And he was mostly raised by his grandmother. I think schooling is such an issue at this time and age. The terrible things and just utter debauchery that occurs at public school these days is horrible. I talk with my friends about it and I'm like, wow. It's just terrible. I don't really know what else to say, but I think that schooling needs change of some kind of change.

HyruleHero97

Cowpoke
My best friend was homeschooled for like 85% of school, I went to private Christian school for most of my school years, except three years where I went to public school, and I really hated it there, I got bullied pretty bad, still got a scar where I got stabbed, like literally stabbed,

My best friend was homeschooled for like 85% of school, I went to private Christian school for most of my school years, except three years where I went to public school, and I really hated it there, I got bullied pretty bad, still got a scar where I got stabbed, like literally stabbed,
Um, okay, that's fun. I'm into not getting stabbed. That sounds pretty sucky.

I wish I was homeschooled. I get anxious around people.
Yeah, I can understand that. Though my anxiety around people is more caused by not being around people a lot. The biggest reason why my mom took me out of school was because we're pretty sure I have ADHD. I just wanted to read and even if I finished all the assignments and stuff they wouldn't let me.

Eh, I can work through it pretty easily, it's just that I don't like crowds and whatnot. Friends and people I know on the other hand, I'm perfectly comfortable with. I just have a hard time being comfortable around a bunch of strangers, y'know?
Definitely. I’m pretty sure over half of the school has never even heard me whisper or mumble, while my friends are always telling me how loud I am.

Definitely. I’m pretty sure over half of the school has never even heard me whisper or mumble, while my friends are always telling me how loud I am.
Same lol. I am pretty good at just pushing past any anxiety I have, which is good but it's kind of a crapshoot whether I get loud and goofy or quiet and thoughtful 🤷‍♂️

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I'm a homeschooled 15-year-old and I've been home-schooled since 2nd grade. I was just curious if anyone else on this forum was home-schooled or is home-schooled.
That's really cool, I've been homeschooled since kindergarten and never really went to school at all, it really clashed with the type of person I was then and even a bit so now.
I have two brothers who also have never gone to school and we love it tbh.
We do use a DL so we do have curriculum but I like it and enjoy the structure it lets me have and grade 9 is smooth sailing.
I do get quite good grades on mostly everything but am a bit slow about finishing things because of a bit of laziness but a lot of extracurriculars as well.
Idk what I really want to be and do as a job but I do love science (mostly biology) and enjoy debating. I, as you, do have quite a bit of time to decide and work towards what I want and weigh it against some criteria (future relavance, how long I could do it, if it aligns with my moralities, etc., etc.).
My mom homeschools us as well though our father teaches us math as he is good at it and it ties somewhat into the job he currently has.
On another topic though, I strongly dislike how people who don't homeschool or transition in later years into homeschooling has such unfounded biases against or about it.
You are right about people thinking homeschoolers are uneducated,I had a friend who was once asked If she knew how to read/write... in grade 7, she has the nicest handwriting and is one of the most bookish person I know (*cougn, along with myself). I think this comes a lot from the fact that a large portion of homeschoolers are of people who stopped going to brick and mortar school because of issues with themselves or interations with others and moved into a household not well equipped to handle/fully devote the time and effort into homeschooling which seems to be the steriotype most people experience or have mental lenses for in quite a bit of society, this is definitely a common theme in everyday viewing material spanning from books to movies and the such.
Another that grinds my gears is that people think that because a large minority of homeschoolers are introverts or feel overwhelmed by large groups/crowds, that all homeschoolers are this type of anti-social, friendless, hermits who live alone and see daylight only when forced to. This is so untrue, especially for longtime homeschoolers, anyone who wants to reach out has so much oppertunity and options pretty much no matter where you live.
My mother is super social and has organized countless groups/meetups/classes for us and I have friends from so many walks of life, this is something not everyone has but I feel that if you are to even somewhat try to expand your horizons, you will have these interactions/friends/oppertunities too.

Thanks to whoever listened to my probably very opiniated rant, but it's nice to release these things to someone other than a friend or family member.
Also really cool to see just how many people are homeschooling on this small sample size forum and really does go to show how commonplace homeschooling is. I am too a book lover and reader of many books, I love science fiction and historical nonfiction and fiction as well as some ties into magic though I will read just about anything you let me get my greedy hands on.
I could write for hours but have to finish a presentaion on the cultural/societal relavance of a specific historical figure from an even more specific time and place.
Good luck and good day wherever you may be.