Is anyone else here homeschooled?

Is anyone else here home-schooled?

• Total voters
All my children attended public school. Last year, of course, it was de facto homeschool and an unmitigated disaster. I am 100% not cut out to be my children’s teacher.
My mom has done an excellent job homeschooling me for 6ish years and continues to do an excellent job throughout my high schooling. Though I have to admit that not everyone is cut out for it (especially not with 6-almost-seven school-age kids)

I love homeschooling.
It's not for the faint of heart and thanks to some bad influences, I don't think my daughter appreciates it anymore. She thinks that if I am on a computer that I am not working :hmph: I have no clue where she even got that daft idea.
(I cannot for multiple reasons send her to a local school.)

I think homeschooling is a good idea, but I'm not sure I'll have the grits to do it if I ever have my own kids. Some people have this misconception that homeschoolers are stupid, but I find that many are just as competent (and sometimes even more competent) than publically or privately educated students.
I'll admit that before I was homeschooled I was a culprit of this. I think that it's probably due to a lack of understanding. I have been homeschooled for AGES and I am plenty competent, in fact, I am above average in certain subjects (language arts) It definitely takes a certain type of parent to not only be capable of it but also, as you said, to have that grit to get down to business and actually do it. As a matter of fact, I have a friend whose mother said for several years in a row that she would homeschool him but always backed out right before they could start. I guess it is just hard (It is) but I would say that it is absolutely worth it.

I grew up in a private school, and I used to be jealous of many rich kids who got a better job and Ivy Leagues university.
I used to be a gifted child in the past but not anymore.
Unfortunately, I am the unluckiest one because I did not land my dream job or dream college.
I was the one who had the fantasy to live in a mansion just like them if I studied or worked hard enough,
but I could not have a GPA of 3.8-4.0.

In the past, I used to question myself if studying was worth it to get a better job or a college because
some of my old friends could become CEO of their parent's company, although they spent less time studying...
I wondered if growing up with rich kids could affect our lives.
You may end up being upset all the time because you do not have the same opportunity as your more affluent classmates.
I used to tell myself that I wished my parents had more money in the past. –Right now, I am proud of them for doing their best as they can to provide me with a good education.

Most of the students who have been private or public tend to skip sleep to study for their tests and do research papers. –It's fast-pacing learning unfortunately.....
I am the one who gets tired of hearing the narrative of C-students becoming the world leader. These folks do not deserve to be admired anyway...
Also, I am curious how the homeschoolers could adapt to the life of Ivy League University and compete against those rich folks –especially when it comes to job hunting or choosing their destiny.
The good news is that Ivy Leagues Admission is fond of homeschoolers. I guess it is worth applying and seeing if you get accepted.
I am tired of seeing wealthy people can cheat the admission with bribery....and become the world leader or CEO.... SMH

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I grew up in a private school, and I used to be jealous of many rich kids who got a better job and Ivy Leagues university.
Unfortunately, I am the unluckiest one because I did not land my dream job or dream college.
I was the one who had the fantasy to live in a mansion just like them if I studied or worked hard enough,

In the past, I used to question myself if studying was worth it to get a better job or a college because
some of my old friends could become CEO of their parent's company, although they spent less time studying...
You may end up being upset all the time because you do not have the same opportunity as your more affluent classmates.
I used to tell myself that I wished my parents had more money in the past. –Right now, I am proud of them for doing their best as they can to provide me with a good education.

Most of the students who have been private or public tend to skip sleep to study for their tests and do research papers. –It's fast-pacing learning unfortunately.....
I am the one who gets tired of hearing the narrative of C-students becoming the world leader. These folks do not deserve to be admired anyway...
Also, I am curious how the homeschoolers could adapt to the life of Ivy League University and compete against those rich folks –especially when it comes to job hunting or choosing their destiny.
The good news is that Ivy Leagues Admission is fond of homeschoolers nowadays. I guess it is worth applying and seeing if you get accepted.
I am tired of seeing wealthy people can cheat the admission with bribery....and become the world leader or CEO.... SMH
I have many thoughts about what you've said here but I'm long winded so let's see if I can edit myself.

I went to one of the best public schools in the US, we were defo not the richest there.
It seems that 'gifted' is an ID that some parents push for while others don't, and doesn't necessarily represent the student one way or another. Yes, my parents did this.
I have a postgrad degree and work alongside someone who did not finish high school. Our skill levels are not distinguishable and neither of us are working in our respective post-high school profession or training.
Mansions are massively overrated as, like a fish, my mess grows to the size of my space. I revel in my small house. Filled with mess.

I weaseled out of studying and did not excel (or was even vaguely competent) in school until well into college. You might know the names of some of the people I grew up (material success). I knew nothing of their families at the time, only connected this much later.
Growing up with rich kids does affect your life. I would be a completely different person had I grown up somewhere else. I had my ego removed over time by a thousand tiny cuts. Many self-induced.
My parents grew up very poor, Dad worked his %%% off so we would be comfortable. He was motivated by that success but retired early because work personalities. I work a mostly chill job, he did not understand that for a long time. But he did eventually and let me know that it seemed I'd made the right decision. That meant the world to me. I told him I had that luxury only as a result of his prior effort.

C Students don't often become world leaders but they do in some places. Maybe there's hope for me! But you used the magic word: narrative. The exact right word. Narratives are convenient fictions. Don't believe anyone else's narrative, make your own.

Random: in the US (yeah, my most familiar data set), the most successful politicians (yes I know, politicians) are all alums of their high school or college Debate Clubs. I said 'random'!!

The good news is that Ivy Leagues Admission is fond of homeschoolers. I guess it is worth applying and seeing if you get accepted.
Fortunately, I have no illusions of being the CEO of a big company or a world leader. I've just learned that the wealthy people can live in their own world while us *peons* work for our living. Maybe I'll get into a big college, maybe I won't (I most likely won't, because of the plan I have) either way, I'll get a college education. I plan to go on a mission, and then go into the Air Force as an FMT (facilities maintenance technician) for a few years, while they pay for college. Then either go into optometry, or HVAC, or plumbing, or electrical, or possibly be a home inspector. (I know they are totally opposite things, but they are the two I'm interested in.) I actually have a plan, and I plan to do it. I know that's not very common, but I have good parents who have helped me put a head on my shoulders (notice I didn't say a good head, just a head)

@Lew Zealand
I greatly appreciate your story. I almost had tears in my eyes after reading about your dad.
I can't blame my parents. They did push me as well and always told me I was "the best of the best."
They told me that I could be better than the average folks. The truth is I am not. I am just a regular person.
After comparing myself comparing to ordinary people, that's where I started to realize that's it was time to get out of my fantasy.
I cannot deny that it does take time to remove my ego...

OMG, similar experience here!
As I grew older, I remembered how my mother was willing to starve herself and work day and night to make sure I had enough to eat and nice tailored clothes to wear.
As a child, I took it for granted...

Not long ago, I told my mother I was willing to work a chilled job. Guess what? She was so upset. After the time passed, fortunately, she admitted that I made a great decision to stay away from high-paying jobs. She agreed that it would make me more miserable. I thanked her for providing me the best education and be who I am.

I need to think about what you said about "belive in a narrative." – it has some weird power...

I do not want to mention the actual name of the politicians in this forum. Overall, I am glad that someone like me had a similar experience.
So, the conclusion is, "Yes, growing up with rich kids does affect our life and perspective about the world !!!!"
It made me delusional as well. I need constantly remind myself to stay in touch with reality. –Still working on it.

Last edited:
Dang, I'm glad that I don't consider myself a gifted child, and have never really been called as such. From what I can tell that term has caused far more people pain, and, stress, and frustration than it has helped. I mean, not everyone can be a gifted child. I'm not going to say that no one is a gifted child, but the number of children who are expected to be gifted and perform as gifted and above average in every way far outstrips the number who are gifted and can reasonably perform in such a way. In my case, I am actually "gifted" in some ways, I guess you could say. But in most academic cases aside from English, I'm about a B+ or an A- student. Sure, those are good grades, but they're nothing outstanding. To make the "big bucks" or become a "big shot", as it were, it is all about luck. Being in the right place at the right time and having the right idea when the rest of the world wants\needs it. It's like lightning in a bottle. You can't recreate it. Maybe I am a little cynical or jaded, but from my point of view too many people expect too much of themselves or are expected too much of. When a "gifted child" gets into the real world and finds that it isn't anything like they expected and get a crappy job or an average job they feel as if they failed. When in reality, 99.9% of the population can't be the CEO of a big company or a world leader. They can't be a millionaire or a billionaire. Like @Lew Zealand said, it is all about the narrative because if the narrative that you are taught is that you can be a millionaire, or a CEO, or a politician then that is what you expect. But when you enter the real world you are shocked by the reality that you just can't.

Sorry about my long-winded speech about my obviously cynical views on how the economy and education work. I guess what you guys said about your experiences with that kind of thing just struck a chord with me.

Last edited:
When in reality, 99.9% of the population can't be the CEO of a big company or a world leader. They can't be a millionaire or a billionaire. Like @Lew Zealand said, it is all about the narrative because if the narrative that you are taught is that you can be a millionaire, or a CEO, or a politician then that is what you expect. But when you enter the real world you are shocked by the reality that you just can't.

Sorry about my long-winded speech about my obviously cynical views on how the economy and education work. I guess what you guys said about your experiences with that kind of thing just struck a chord with me.
You nailed it. Your mom raised you well.
However, you are still young. You still have time to choose your happiness and figure out who you are.
I want to encourage you to study as much you need before you enter the real world. –you never know it will be helpful in the future.

If I hadn't studied World Geography seriously in middle school, I wouldn't have the ability to create a map for the firefighters. –you get the idea of what I am talking about.
I am glad that the education I was in was worth it.

Don't be discouraged by what it has given to you. Do the best you can.

You nailed it. Your mom raised you well.
However, you are still young. You still have time to choose your happiness and figure out who you are.
I want to encourage you to study as much you need before you enter the real world. –you never know it will be helpful in the future.

If I hadn't studied World Geography seriously in middle school, I wouldn't have the ability to create a map for the firefighters. –you get the idea of what I am talking about.
I am glad that the education I was in was worth it.

Don't be discouraged by what it has given to you. Do the best you can.
As I said, I'm trying to get my point across without being cynical. I KNOW that education is extremely important, no matter who you are or what you do. However, I also know that I'm not going to be a millionaire. It is a completely unreasonable expectation to believe so and I'm doing my best to come up with a plan for my adult life that is 1st, reasonable, and 2nd will make me happy.

And to be clear about my above words, the other thing that can change your point of view and opinion on this kind of thing is lifestyle. In my case, I live in a homeschooled family of 8 kids. I live a far different life than almost any other person. I've had to become more mature and understand things at an earlier age that most wouldn't have to or be able to. I LOVE my family and the way that I live, I just thought that that might be some food for thought as well.

I know a millionaire. He lives an unassuming life, paid off his mortgage, was a small business owner; he sold the business to retire. Now he works at a store that he likes and enjoys. He makes a budget and keeps to it. I only know that he's a millionaire because my dad was a good friend of his. Anyone can be a millionaire with good financial discipline.

I think people should not discount trade schools. As having gone to the traditional college, it was horrible and boring! My husband went to a trade school and accomplished far more than I did in only 6 months! Seriously 4 years vs 6 months!?!

A person can self-teach a lot of different things too. I read and study law in my down time... Not that I plan on having a career using it. I just find it fascinating. However, some people treat me like I'm an idiot on any legal matter because I am self-taught. This tends to be in personal discussions and then, even if I go online and open up the penal code or statutes to corroborate what I am saying they simply don't listen and get vulgar. In this I think the way people learn is not the problem.

As far as being in touch with reality, well you can say my story is the complete opposite. I spend so much time in reality that I need to escape from time to time, and that is video games. This is not always easy as I have 2 kids, but occasionally I get stressed out too much and need to calm down.
Try going to the store with $75 and getting groceries for a family of 4 for two weeks, that will effectively bring reality back and maybe even a stomachache to go with it too! I think if the politicians did that than they might be a bit more in tune with their constituents.