I want to hear your most controversial Opinion about Stardew!

ajapaneseninja

Greenhorn
I'm not exactly sure how controversial this is, but I think Mr. Qi is the most interesting character and its quite a shame he's not friendable. I would love to go through 5 Mr. Qi heart events and learn more about him, maybe even have him be a roomate like Krobus.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
First post

Wizard should have been a candidate rather than Shane.
When I see posts like this, I remember that bachelor/ette poll ages ago on CA's twitter... I voted for Wizard and Sandy, while Emily and Shane won. Man!! That was ages ago, it's kind of mindblowing. I remember 1.1 being so huge. I wonder if he'll ever do something like that again

Skeeziks

Sodbuster
I have come to the conclusion that the game is programmed in such a way that a train will not go by if you are at Robin's, or talking to Linus or fishing in the mountain lake. It will, however send a train by when you are in the depths of the Secret Woods or the far side of the beach, etc! Lol!

Kazamaru

Greenhorn
#1: Recipes are really broken in relation to Perfection. It is absurd to require people to cook every recipe and make it so that they HAVE to watch bucketloads of TV and wait tons of time. There should be other ways of getting all of the recipes.(Relationship requirements are chill.)

#2: Once you are married to characters you should be able to choose whether or not you want semi-intimate scenes with other dateable NPCs.

#3: You should be able to have a baby carrier so you can take your infant with you on your adventures...(what could go wrong?)

#4: There should be a serious format where it can't be seeded, you can't choose whether it's normal or remixed CC or Mines.(And also, you CAN'T get the Jojamart community improvements path.) Your day saves every hour.(To prevent resets)

#5: Why does Lewis collect taxes from other farms and not yours? You should pay taxes too. Oh, and taxes should increase each year.(Honestly kinda kidding about that, because the game is meant to be chill and not like real life.)

#6: Cooking is really underwhelming. I feel like you should have to prepare some things, and cook things on a stove or in the oven.(So it has a processing time like lots of things, obviously you wouldn't need to worry about it burning or anything, and the cook time should be different for different meals.) And also, almost all recipes should be profitable to cook. Also, the quality of the ingredients used should affect the quality of the meal.

adamtalakom

Sodbuster
#6: Cooking is really underwhelming. I feel like you should have to prepare some things, and cook things on a stove or in the oven.(So it has a processing time like lots of things, obviously you wouldn't need to worry about it burning or anything, and the cook time should be different for different meals.) And also, almost all recipes should be profitable to cook. Also, the quality of the ingredients used should affect the quality of the meal.
Thank you, someone else who thinks the same thing. Great minds think alike, what can I say.

imnvs

Local Legend
#1: Recipes are really broken in relation to Perfection. It is absurd to require people to cook every recipe and make it so that they HAVE to watch bucketloads of TV and wait tons of time. There should be other ways of getting all of the recipes.(Relationship requirements are chill.)
1 > Having to watch TV for recipes is a limiter that prevents perfection until the end of year 2. beginning of year 3. What other method do you suggest for making perfection take time to achieve? I ask because I do not believe that perfection should be attainable easily or quickly.
#4: There should be a serious format where it can't be seeded, you can't choose whether it's normal or remixed CC or Mines.(And also, you CAN'T get the Jojamart community improvements path.) Your day saves every hour.(To prevent resets)
4 > You could essentially do this to yourself. You could roll dice to pick normal or remixed bundles and mines. You could forbid yourself from going the Joja route and from resetting. I mean, to me this just sounds like a "challenge run". It's not like profit margins which require code support.
6a > Making cooking take time would make it really hard to do the Qi's Cuisine quest. You only have one place to cook. You can't make more stoves like you can the machines all around your farm.

6b > Having the quality of the ingredients affect the quality of the meal would make Qi Seasoning obsolete.

Last edited:
When I see posts like this, I remember that bachelor/ette poll ages ago on CA's twitter... I voted for Wizard and Sandy, while Emily and Shane won. Man!! That was ages ago, it's kind of mindblowing. I remember 1.1 being so huge. I wonder if he'll ever do something like that again
Cool! I was nine when the game came out, so I never really participated in that sort of thing until recently. I hope he ends up doing it again.

adamtalakom

Sodbuster
6a > Making cooking take time would make it really hard to do the Qi's Cuisine quest. You only have one place to cook. You can't make more stoves like you can the machines all around your farm.

6b > Having the quality of the ingredients affect the quality of the meal would make Qi Seasoning obsolete.
6a > Maybe CA could make it so you can make more stoves. Also, if cooking was revamped, more ovens, microwaves, etc. It could be interesting to make a commercial cooking factory sort-of-thing.

6b > The limit on quality from ingredients could be gold, and Qi Seasoning could be the only way to make a food Iridium quality.

Elenna101

Farmer
4 > You could essentially do this to yourself. You could roll dice to pick normal or remixed bundles and mines. You could forbid yourself from going the Joja route and from resetting. I mean, to me this just sounds like a "challenge run". It's not like profit margins which require code support.
I mostly agree, but having the game save every hour would require code support. However, I don't think saving every hour would actually prevent resets, it would just mean that exiting and re-entering would reset you back to the last hour, instead of resetting back to the start of the day.
Sure, sometimes you forget something in the morning and realize hours later and want to reset. It would prevent those kinds of resets. But most of my resets are because I died in the mines, or because I did something really stupid like placing a bomb in the middle of my crops. In that case, I'm going to realize immediately, and I'd much rather reset only the last hour, rather than resetting the whole day and losing a whole day's worth of work. So saving every hour would probably make me reset *more*, if anything.

My other problem with a "save every hour" button is that it takes my computer a few seconds to save and update to a new day each night. Not sure how much time it would take to just save, without updating the day. But if it takes two seconds, for example, to save - does that mean the game would pause for two seconds every in-game hour? An in-game hour is only 42 real-life seconds if you're not pausing or in Skull Caverns. So the game would pause for a couple seconds once a minute? That sounds awful. But maybe there would be some way to code it to be quick and unobtrusive, in which case I think it might be a fun option. Won't prevent resetting though.

Anyways, if you want to not reset, just don't reset.

astatine210

Rancher
True, Lewis's treatment of her is not good, and tbh that also feeds into the whole me not liking her thing. I think the downside of SV is that the non-marriageable NPCs are quite stagnant in their characterizations even through the years and getting to know them/becoming closer friends. It would be great if year by year or as the relationship with the farmer progresses, something happens either with their relationships with other villagers or with themselves (i.e. cutscene where Marnie tells Lewis to F off if he can't 'fess up) because everyone changes over time.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I'm not exactly sure how controversial this is, but I think Mr. Qi is the most interesting character and its quite a shame he's not friendable. I would love to go through 5 Mr. Qi heart events and learn more about him, maybe even have him be a roomate like Krobus.
Our your his roomate, it could open a whole different storyline if you work for him as an apprentice but have to give him your farm as a tribute of sorts, would go great with some mods.