I HATE THE PETS!!! (venting)

Phate4569

Planter
Every time I play at some point I get filled with such anger at the pets.

They get into the path to the backwoods, or the various doorways, and half the time when you try to get through them they do the moving sprite which you can't move through.

I spent 3 IN GAME HOURS trying to get into the backwoods this morning. I couldn't go through town because of the damn egg festival. I tried pushing the idiot, I tried going in and out of house and cave hoping it would move. Finally I managed to kick it into the wall enough to get by.

I keep telling myself "Next time no pet", but I always give in because it is nice to have a reminder of my dead dog, but then I get pissed at it which makes me feel worse.

I've reported this dozens, if not hundreds, of times since I started playing in 1.3. That's 5 years, multiple saves, thousands of hours, many reports, but still no fix.

If 1.6 is nothing but "allow clipping through pets" I will consider it the best update yet.

Have you tried using fencing to keep the dog away from exits? Like making a dog run around it's bowl area. Or even just put two posts and a gate in front of any narrow exits so it can't get stuck in the running animation there.

Phate4569

Planter
Have you tried using fencing to keep the dog away from exits? Like making a dog run around it's bowl area. Or even just put two posts and a gate in front of any narrow exits so it can't get stuck in the running animation there.
That may work for outside, which is less of a problem area due to there being more area for it to go. The house is where the problem is the worst because of stuff being in there.

Persefia

Greenhorn
Every time I play at some point I get filled with such anger at the pets.

They get into the path to the backwoods, or the various doorways, and half the time when you try to get through them they do the moving sprite which you can't move through.

I spent 3 IN GAME HOURS trying to get into the backwoods this morning. I couldn't go through town because of the damn egg festival. I tried pushing the idiot, I tried going in and out of house and cave hoping it would move. Finally I managed to kick it into the wall enough to get by.

I keep telling myself "Next time no pet", but I always give in because it is nice to have a reminder of my dead dog, but then I get pissed at it which makes me feel worse.

I've reported this dozens, if not hundreds, of times since I started playing in 1.3. That's 5 years, multiple saves, thousands of hours, many reports, but still no fix.

If 1.6 is nothing but "allow clipping through pets" I will consider it the best update yet.
Honestly while it annoys me that the pets get in the way, it feels very realistic because my cat is always getting in my way when i need to do things

Peggy77

Sodbuster
I hate them too and always tell Marnie No! It was hard at first and I used to feel guilty but it gets easier over time. I started playing back in the 1.3 version too.

Phate4569

Planter
You can always just walk through them, it only takes like 3-4 seconds, sure it's annoying but you are doing something seriously wrong if it's taking you 3 hours to get past a pet.
Yeah, thats why its a problem, like I said in the original comment. When the movement sprite triggers you CAN'T walk through them. So when they get caught in narrow confines they become an immobile wall.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Yeah, thats why its a problem, like I said in the original comment. When the movement sprite triggers you CAN'T walk through them. So when they get caught in narrow confines they become an immobile wall.
Ah! Are they walking back and forth in that 1-tile gap and that's why you can't kick them out of the way? I must have gotten lucky with not getting trapped that way, but I do have Robin clear out the excess walls in the Farmhouse so the only real place the cat can trap me is right at the front door. In one of my saves I have a maze set up around the pet bowl and I pretty much never have a problem with it but that was a lucky accident, not by planning.

Phate4569

Planter
Ah! Are they walking back and forth in that 1-tile gap and that's why you can't kick them out of the way? I must have gotten lucky with not getting trapped that way, but I do have Robin clear out the excess walls in the Farmhouse so the only real place the cat can trap me is right at the front door. In one of my saves I have a maze set up around the pet bowl and I pretty much never have a problem with it but that was a lucky accident, not by planning.
Yeah, or they get stuck in the running sprite while against a wall or furniture and become a barracade.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I mean you can still walk around any other way… it’s only you wasting 3 hours walking into the dog instead of going around another route. Basically everywhere in stardew has a couple paths leading to it, even if some are slightly slower.

Phate4569

Planter
I mean you can still walk around any other way… it’s only you wasting 3 hours walking into the dog instead of going around another route. Basically everywhere in stardew has a couple paths leading to it, even if some are slightly slower.
You did not even read the post I see.

Phate4569

Planter
Other ways doesn’t just mean through town. There are totems and minecarts.

you can also reset the day to not have the pet go there in the first place or just push the pet to the side straight off the bat.
Minecarts and totems don't exist in the early game.

You are seriously implying that having to reset the game because of a pet is not a problem?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Minecarts and totems don't exist in the early game.

You are seriously implying that having to reset the game because of a pet is not a problem?
I’m implying that being incapable of the simplest problem solving because of something nigh on impossible easy to think around is a problem.

Phate4569

Planter
I’m implying that being incapable of the simplest problem solving because of something nigh on impossible easy to think around is a problem.
The point of the post is that the pets are annoying, not "how do I get around the pet". That these things can glitch into a mode where they can't be passed and form annoying barricades, and are underfoot causing issues, that the issue has gone unaddressed for years, and as we've seen by other posts I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Your "thinking around the problem" isn't useful, it isn't even smart, because it causes the problem to persist and actively makes the product worse. I work in robotics, and this is the kind of stupid **** that counts negative against my employees on performance reviews. All you do by being "clever" is to ensure the issue goes unfixed, that others have the issue too.

Not no mention your solution of "reset the day", isn't even a good solution. 3 hours in Stardew Time is less than 5 minutes in real life. It would be MORE of a time waste to reset the game and replay up to that point of the day.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The point of the post is that the pets are annoying, not "how do I get around the pet". That these things can glitch into a mode where they can't be passed and form annoying barricades, and are underfoot causing issues, that the issue has gone unaddressed for years, and as we've seen by other posts I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Your "thinking around the problem" isn't useful, it isn't even smart, because it causes the problem to persist and actively makes the product worse. I work in robotics, and this is the kind of stupid **** that counts negative against my employees on performance reviews. All you do by being "clever" is to ensure the issue goes unfixed, that others have the issue too.

Not no mention your solution of "reset the day", isn't even a good solution. 3 hours in Stardew Time is less than 5 minutes in real life. It would be MORE of a time waste to reset the game and replay up to that point of the day.
Ok, I'll be a lot calmer with this response, I realize my later comments regarding how to avoid problems regarding the pets weren't to the original point of the post, my apologies for them and my aggression as well.

There is some merit in considering ways to navigate around problems that are generally quite minor, while the pets sure can be annoying - and I've had annoying moments with them too (especially when I pack a lot of chests and machines in my house) - there are many parts of this game that have less than desirable side effects that will most likely never be changed due to the small impact they have and occasionally the scale of effort being far more than can seem on the surface.

There can also be different values of time, whether you value your time in game or time spent that you just wanted to spend relaxing instead of fighting a digital creature for foot space, I shouldn't have left me messages as vague as I did just to argue specifics.

Phate4569

Planter
There is some merit in considering ways to navigate around problems that are generally quite minor,
Again, you are condescending. A Minor problem. Good, great, nobody cares what you consider "minor". What is a "minor" problem for you can be a major annoyance for someone else. People are different, have different likes and dislikes. Just because something doesn't annoy you doesn't mean it doesn't upset someone else, and making them feel like their opinions don't matter and putting them down so that you can pat yourself on the back and feel important is a dick move.

First, offering advice where none was asked is a little condescending. You're implying that the person is incapable of doing it themselves.

Then there is what you say in your responses, which are absolutely condecending as ****.

but you are doing something seriously wrong
it’s only you wasting 3 hours