I don't know what to call this

So this is a thread for me to just... rant.

So currently, it's been almost 3 weeks since I turned 19. My mind has been racing. I've been out of school for two years (tested out so I could try and work on a little game and a book, they aren't done yet), an adult for a year, and.. well.. me. I've been discovering who I am. I'm just human I realized. I'm not male, female, non-binary, straight, gay, or anything else. I'm just... human. And I am confident in that. Romantic relationships aren't my thing, but platonic relationships, most certainly. I'm... me. I've been trying out new ideas (or just restarting) for one of my many, many writing projects. I want to write a book, but I can't come up with the right structure for the story. Then I was going through my school records to find something and came across a project I did years and years ago were I had to make a planet, and so I used that as inspiration. I just started writing, letting the ideas flow. And I've nearly completed the second page. And for me, that's a big deal. I almost never can get past a paragraph, let alone two pages! And that game? I got some books and decided I'll start on a middle school level. I've gotten to just past the first level. It's a 2D platformer because that should be easy enough with just the right amount of challenge. I'm using SDV as an inspiration for the art style, but not totally. It looks like some sort of weird mix of SDV, Rainworld and Star Wars I guess? I don't know how to describe it. It's been fun, and as a single dev hard, but fun. It's a passion project and something I'm really only going to let family and close friends play since, well, I'm kinda ashamed about how much time it took for me to get past the first level. I used to be proficient in Python but now I barely know it.

Anyways that concludes right now's rant.

i understand being everything all at once, i'm not a big fan of labels. sure, they make describing yourself easier, but it's just stereotypes galore.

and good luck on the game! i'm sure it can grow into something huge, stardew valley was made by 1 person after all, so anything is possible
Thanks! This is really validating. It feels really good to be validated lol. And yeah, I hope. But not for this game. I want this one to be a first, an exclusive if you will, for me and people I let. I might make another game, but hey, that's for future me to deal with.

NetworkerC

Sodbuster
Many epic things were done by one person.

99% of Stardew was done by Ape.

The Metro becoming a welcoming place for racers was done by King Speed (and later redone by me, after Snake Eyes and his Phantom9 wrecked it)

Robin made her family’s house on her own.

You’re in good hands, in terms of a place that encourages making great stuff, on your own. 👍🏻

Lew Zealand

Helper
At 20 I found that I wasn't the person I wanted to be. I thought I was, or was at least on my way to that nebulous imagined destination, but thanks to 2 different interactions with 2 people I (eeeeeventually...) figured out that I was not that person and had been deluding myself about many things. Being convinced about yourself is easy and easily wrong. Well, it was for me at least. So I made many changes and grew a personality and figured some things so was in much better shape by 30 (after some serious speed bumps). And that was just the start.

You will continue to change and evolve and grow into the you that you envision, even especially if that vision is ever-changing. It's great to hear you're comfortable with who you are, that's such a reassuring place to be. I was unable to do the things you're doing at your age, I only figured out to do some of them later though at the time I wished to do them all. The future you is full of options and you will grow into them. That growth doesn't stop at 20 or 30 or 40 though you may see some people stop because they've convinced themselves of something. I was convinced and I was wrong and thanks to those right/wrong situations, I got enough perspective to see that.

Keep at those things that you love to do, even if they're hard and you hit a wall and stop. Start again. I did not do any creative writing until landing on this site. Zero, ever. I hated it. But then I found I needed to do it with Stardew as the setting. And I'm a lot older than the 30 I mentioned above, so these changes can and will happen at any time as long as you give yourself the freedom to do them, and have the flexibility to do so. Not everyone has that freedom, so take advantage of it if it's available.

Challenge yourself to do the things you want, the things you like, the things you love. And go easy on yourself on those not-so-great days.

At 20 I found that I wasn't the person I wanted to be. I thought I was, or was at least on my way to that nebulous imagined destination, but thanks to 2 different interactions with 2 people I (eeeeeventually...) figured out that I was not that person and had been deluding myself about many things. Being convinced about yourself is easy and easily wrong. Well, it was for me at least. So I made many changes and grew a personality and figured some things so was in much better shape by 30 (after some serious speed bumps). And that was just the start.

You will continue to change and evolve and grow into the you that you envision, even especially if that vision is ever-changing. It's great to hear you're comfortable with who you are, that's such a reassuring place to be. I was unable to do the things you're doing at your age, I only figured out to do some of them later though at the time I wished to do them all. The future you is full of options and you will grow into them. That growth doesn't stop at 20 or 30 or 40 though you may see some people stop because they've convinced themselves of something. I was convinced and I was wrong and thanks to those right/wrong situations, I got enough perspective to see that.

Keep at those things that you love to do, even if they're hard and you hit a wall and stop. Start again. I did not do any creative writing until landing on this site. Zero, ever. I hated it. But then I found I needed to do it with Stardew as the setting. And I'm a lot older than the 30 I mentioned above, so these changes can and will happen at any time as long as you give yourself the freedom to do them, and have the flexibility to do so. Not everyone has that freedom, so take advantage of it if it's available.

Challenge yourself to do the things you want, the things you like, the things you love. And go easy on yourself on those not-so-great days.
My goodness... amazing... absolutely amazing... thank you so much.

Many epic things were done by one person.

99% of Stardew was done by Ape.

The Metro becoming a welcoming place for racers was done by King Speed (and later redone by me, after Snake Eyes and his Phantom9 wrecked it)

Robin made her family’s house on her own.

You’re in good hands, in terms of a place that encourages making great stuff, on your own. 👍🏻
I didn't understand that third line but okay 👍

the rest, thanks. that's really encouraging.

Draconifors

Farmhand
I was 30 when I discovered, thanks to the friend who is now also my husband, that I hadn't been the person I wanted or should be even though I was certain the opposite was true because it had been working for me since teenage years.

Since then, I have changed quite a few things, including major ones, and it's made my life so much better (family members have even commented I look a lot happier than I used to, although I wasn't unhappy before).
Some of the changes I was highly sceptical about, but gave them a try regardless -- and it turned out to be the absolute right choice.

So, in my experience, regardless of how strongly you feel that you know what and who you want to be, if a close friend or family member suggests trying something new or different, it can be a great idea to agree. If it doesn't turn out to be right for you, then you'll know. If it does, well, then you can feel even better about yourself than you already do.

astatine210

Rancher

Yes, exactly; couldn't have said it better myself!

Love this. I'm in my mid 40's and only just beginning to know and accept who I really am. It'a nice place to be :)

NetworkerC

Sodbuster
I didn't understand that third line but okay 👍
Chuckle. I doubt anyone in here does, but everyone has their thing, so people just roll with it.

A lot of the lore is stuck behind speaking to NPC’s at Parking Areas, so I’ll give you the quick version.

‘King Speed’ was the fastest on the Metro, until he vanished 3 years ago. ‘Snake Eyes’ comes in, makes himself the top racer, and forms his crew (Phantom 9) who make the Metro noticeably unwelcoming. I roll up, with the job of becoming the fastest racer, and dethroning ‘Snake Eyes’. Show the Metro that someone can step in, and put people back in line, if necessary, and it’s a domino effect, leading to getting back the racing scene that was known and loved.

I’m going into much more detail on this, on a story I’m building.

Youth is such a precious thing, it's when you have some of the most pivotal experiences and realizations and it can definitely be a lot as you're going through it all! As I've aged, I've found that labels are far too limiting to encompass what being an individual actually is; we are all much more than our romantic preferences, ideologies, or vibes and to box our self in is needlessly constraining due to stereotypes and subconscious expectations for said labels. Life is filled with many curve balls and uphill battles, but these "setbacks" are vitally important in learning who we are, what we value, and who we want to grow into. As long as you continue to pursue improvement rather than perfection you can do absolutely anything you set your mind to. It's wonderful you're feeling inspired and making progress on the projects you have, just remember that creativity ebbs and flows; some days it's easy to let it pour out while others can feel vastly empty--this is normal, when the time is right, the rest will come too, just be sure to never beat yourself up over it if you find yourself ebbing. I'm far from alone in rooting for you! Be sure to share snipets of your creations if you feel comfortable; I'm sure we'd all love to see your work! :hlevel:

Youth is such a precious thing, it's when you have some of the most pivotal experiences and realizations and it can definitely be a lot as you're going through it all! As I've aged, I've found that labels are far too limiting to encompass what being an individual actually is; we are all much more than our romantic preferences, ideologies, or vibes and to box our self in is needlessly constraining due to stereotypes and subconscious expectations for said labels. Life is filled with many curve balls and uphill battles, but these "setbacks" are vitally important in learning who we are, what we value, and who we want to grow into. As long as you continue to pursue improvement rather than perfection you can do absolutely anything you set your mind to. It's wonderful you're feeling inspired and making progress on the projects you have, just remember that creativity ebbs and flows; some days it's easy to let it pour out while others can feel vastly empty--this is normal, when the time is right, the rest will come too, just be sure to never beat yourself up over it if you find yourself ebbing. I'm far from alone in rooting for you! Be sure to share snipets of your creations if you feel comfortable; I'm sure we'd all love to see your work! :hlevel:
I am beyond thankful for all the advice I am continuing to receive. I'm not comfortable sharing my book or game, though, maybe, in time for the game. The book is just something I'm doing purely for enjoyment and exploration of the concept. The reason for the game? I don't have a strong enough computer to run anything beyond a few lines, so it's all in theory. The concept artwork is something I might share before I share the coding, since, as I said, I don't have a computer strong enough to run most things bigger than Stardew Valley( albeit it heats up my computer beyond anything I can describe), or the storage for it.

and ive never really done anything more than theory since i dont know how to make it appear without paying people. im a cheap person most of the time. i wont pay for a game im making for fun in theory

This is to everyone: Thank you all. I have no words for how thankful I am.

Chuckle. I doubt anyone in here does, but everyone has their thing, so people just roll with it.

A lot of the lore is stuck behind speaking to NPC’s at Parking Areas, so I’ll give you the quick version.

‘King Speed’ was the fastest on the Metro, until he vanished 3 years ago. ‘Snake Eyes’ comes in, makes himself the top racer, and forms his crew (Phantom 9) who make the Metro noticeably unwelcoming. I roll up, with the job of becoming the fastest racer, and dethroning ‘Snake Eyes’. Show the Metro that someone can step in, and put people back in line, if necessary, and it’s a domino effect, leading to getting back the racing scene that was known and loved.

I’m going into much more detail on this, on a story I’m building.
okay still confused but... im gonna take this.