How to fix the "golden walnuts found" glitch (1.5 spoilers)

imnvs

Local Legend
( Since this comes up often, I figured a resource that is easily found and linked could be useful. )

Edit: A new method has been discovered by @BlaDe to fix the results of this bug for all players on all platforms.

Simply enter the "/recountnuts" chat command into the chat box.

On PC pressing T opens it by default. It can also be opened by simply pressing the "/" key which will begin the chat with that keystroke already entered.

On consoles you open the chat box by pressing the right stick.

------

(The following is the old method for those that can edit their save file.)

When you use the checkup and you get a message reading:
! Warning : Save lists a count of ## but we've found markers for 130.
Your savefile is glitched. You have found all the walnuts, but due to a bug (that affects all platforms) it doesn't record the count correctly.

Now, as it says in the subject line here, those who can not edit their save file will need for the bug to be fixed. I am very sorry. This method only works for those that can edit the save file.

First step first: Backup your save file. You can copy the entire folder to another location, edit the original, and if things go wrong after you load it back up, you can replace the corrupted file with the backup and try again.

Next, open up your save file, the same one you click on to get the checkup to work. Search in the text for "goldenWalnutsFound". You'll find a number there, the same one the checkup told you the count was. Change that number to 130.

Save.

Use the checkup again. Fixed? If not, you can ask for help.

Last edited:

FyreNWater

Greenhorn
This method doesn't work for me. I've tried editing the number before, I tried again last night, but it still goes right back to 129/130 when I load the game. I even tried turning off the Steam cloud save and editing the text file. Still goes back to 129 golden walnuts.

imnvs

Local Legend
And when you use the checkup, it does tell you "! Warning : Save lists a count of 129 but we've found markers for 130" ?

imnvs

Local Legend
First, this is a Guide & Resources thread, not a Bug & Help thread, and there is a difference.

Second, I am the OP of this thread.

Finally, can you zip up your save file and post it? I would like to see if someone else can fix it for you.

imnvs

Local Legend
Here's the folder of saves for my character.
Try backing up your save file, then deleting the original (to be fair, the zip you uploaded here can serve as a backup too)... and then after unzipping what I've attached in your saves folder, try it out and tell me if it works.

Attachments

Last edited:

FyreNWater

Greenhorn
The saves are within a zipped folder made by SMAPI. Do I just edit within the zipped folder? Do I unzip, delete, replace, and rezip it? Is.... this why my text editing hasn't been working?

imnvs

Local Legend
Well, I unzipped, edited, rezipped. If you unzip the contents, you can simply take the current savefile, copy it into the character folder in the saves folder, replacing the old one. You need it unzipped to play it.

FyreNWater

Greenhorn
Okay now the save file is straight up missing?? It doesn't show up in-game?? :( :( :(

I've.... been working with the save backups folder this whole time. (That's what I get for following random Steam comments for advice, instead of the official forums here.) I finally found the right location using %appdata%\StardewValley\Saves in the Windows + R and updated the save file.

The file edit works, now that I'm editing the save file and not the archived save file. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Tom

Rancher
Yes. Like I said in the other bug thread, the problem I have looks exactly like the one posted by the OP.
For me, editing the savefile usually works best by exiting to title, not to desktop, because I think I have a backup system installed that interfers with editing if I exit to desktop. I wonder if that could be happening to you.

Exit to title, edit file, and reload the savefile (restart the day).

imnvs

Local Legend
For me, editing the savefile usually works best by exiting to title, not to desktop, because I think I have a backup system installed that interfers with editing if I exit to desktop. I wonder if that could be happening to you.

Exit to title, edit file, and reload the savefile (restart the day).
I think this is caused by the Steam or GoG cloud backups, not an edit issue. I usually play without GoG running, as I typically only play MP locally.

spongehead

Greenhorn
any solution for switch players? I've been trying to figure out how to get my save file onto a pc so i can use the checker but so far it's like Fort Knox

imnvs

Local Legend
any solution for switch players? I've been trying to figure out how to get my save file onto a pc so i can use the checker but so far it's like Fort Knox
I am terribly sorry, but without file access and the power to edit the save file, you're kinda stuck, my friend. 😰

spongehead

Greenhorn
I am terribly sorry, but without file access and the power to edit the save file, you're kinda stuck, my friend. 😰
:( hopefully Eric finds the time to patch the bug eventually... 200 hours invested for perfection and all. i love the game so i don't mind having played, it's just a little disappointing

imnvs

Local Legend
:( hopefully Eric finds the time to patch the bug eventually... 200 hours invested for perfection and all. i love the game so i don't mind having played, it's just a little disappointing
I believe he is working on this one. This is a pretty major bug that halts people's progress. It may not be as important as crash-causing bugs, but I'm sure he understands that the folks playing his game, when he installs a finish line, they want to be able to get there.

I get your frustration, and that of everyone else without file access when it comes to this bug, I really do, but I haven't lost faith in CA yet. :smile:

BlaDe

Farmer
I'm currently digging in the code in the ChatBox (Discovered I can take screenshots through it recently; helps with my not opening menu requirements; and wondered what else I could do) and stumbled across something that could help.

If you are having this issue, try entering "/recountnuts" in the chat box (T opens it by default).

I tried this on the Samus file provided above, and it is now showing 100% completion!

Last edited: