Guide How to Create a Naver Account

Odin

Staff member
I've written this guide to help people get set up on Naver, in order to access Stardew Valley mods that are hosted there.

This guide is based on signing up via a desktop browser. The process may differ on a mobile device. Some parts of the sign up process are easier in browsers that offer page translation, such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. I've done my best to write this guide so that translating pages is not required though.

Before you start the signup process, it's important to know that setting up a Naver account will require you to submit personal information include your full name, date of birth, and phone number. You will also have to upload an image of a photo ID, although you are encouraged to cover your face and address before uploading it. I understand some people may not wish to share this information with Naver, which I why I'm mentioning it up front. You can learn more about Naver on Wikipedia.

Creating an Account
  1. Visit https://nid.naver.com/user2/V2Join?m=agree&lang=en_US to begin signing up for an account.
  2. Select the check marks next to "Terms of Service" and "Privacy Policy". You do not need to select any other options on this page. (See the reference image below.)
    Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 2.12.05 PM.png

3. Select the "Confirm" button at the bottom of the page.
  4. On the next page, select a username and password for yourself. Fill out the other information below, be sure to use your real name and date of birth as this will be verified later.
  5. At the bottom of this page, when it asks for a phone number, be sure to select your country from the drop-down. Enter your phone number and select "Send Code". You'll receive a code via text, enter it in the field below.
  6. Select the "Sign Up" button at the bottom of the page.
  7. Select the "Start" button on the next page.
You now have a Naver account! The next step is to verify your identity.

Verifying Your Identity
  1. This part requires you to upload a copy of a photo ID to the site, for example a driver's license. Naver only needs to see your name, date of birth, and gender on the ID. I would encourage you to cover your photo, address, and any other personal information that the site does not require, either before taking a picture of the ID, or afterwards in editing software. Take a picture of your ID.
  2. Visit https://help.naver.com/support/contents/contents.help?serviceNo=532&categoryNo=25874&lang=en.
  3. Scroll down to the section that contains fill-able fields. Leave the email as-is, and then enter your name, gender (as it appears on the ID you will be using), and the phone number you used when signing up. Select the two check boxes below that.
  4. Select the "Attach File" button. A new page will open, select "Choose File" and select the picture of your ID. Click the bottom left button, as shown in the image below.
    NaverID.png

5. Fill out the fields below. For the "Requests" field, enter I am requesting identity verification to use Naver Cafe. or a similar message. Check "I agree" and select "Submit" at the bottom of the page.
After submitting verification, it may take a day or two for Naver to approve your account. You can check if this has happened by going to https://mail.naver.com/, keep an eye out for a message with the subject "Hello, This is NAVER." Click on the message, it should confirm that your account has been verified.

Joining the Stardew Valley Cafe
  1. Visit https://cafe.naver.com/starvall/ to start.
  2. In the sidebar on the left side of the page, select the dark grey button. I've marked in red in the image below, showing how it looks on the page in Korean and translated into English.
    NaverCafe.png

3. On the next page, you'll need fill out several fields. I've marked each of these parts of the page in the image below, showing how it looks on the page in Korean and translated into English. If you're using a browser that don't provide translations, you can use the image below as reference.
    a. The first field is selecting a username for the cafe. Nicknames need to be unique, if you pick one that has already been taken, the text below this field will remain red. The text will turn green when you've selected an available username.
    b. The section step is to grant or deny permissions for the group to see your age and gender. The option on the left is "allow, on the right is "deny".
    c. Third, you'll need to answer the sign-up question, which can be answered with (this translates to "yes").
    d. Finally you'll need to answer the CAPCHTA by entering the letters and numbers you see in the image.
    NaverCafeSignup.png
  4. Select the green button at the bottom of the page.
  5. You'll now see a pop-up message, select the green button to dismiss it.
You've now joined the Stardew Valley Korean Community! If you do choose to participate in the community there beyond downloading mods, please review their rules.

I hope this guide has been helpful!

Last edited:

dots

Sodbuster
thank you for such a comprehensive guide, it's beautiful!! i really appreciate how helpful this is

KIYAYA

Newcomer
Has anyone ran into an issue with the phone number verification? I tried it a while ago about 2 or 3 times, 3 months later I got one code :'D I tried the other day and still haven't received one.

Odin

Staff member
The phone verification worked right away for me, so unfortunately I'm not sure what your options are if it doesn't aside from trying again, but it sounds like you've done that.

cherlin

Greenhorn
I just submitted my verification request, but I don't know if I'd be accepted because I'm 17. All I want Naver for is access to SDV mods because they make really pretty ones, does my age not matter or is being 18 a requirement to use the cafe?

edit: i was verified and i'm in the cafe! :)

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
I just submitted my verification request, but I don't know if I'd be accepted because I'm 17. All I want Naver for is access to SDV mods because they make really pretty ones, does my age not matter or is being 18 a requirement to use the cafe?

edit: i was verified and i'm in the cafe! :)
Glad to hear it worked for you!

US law is very strict about how companies must handle the data for anyone under 13, and as a result, many websites based in the US (including these forums) require anyone creating an account to be 13 or older. I would guess that South Korea, where Naver is based, has similar restrictions, but I'm honestly not sure.

Pangaearocks

Planter
This part requires you to upload a copy of a photo ID to the site, for example a driver's license. Naver only needs to see your name, date of birth, and gender on the ID. I would encourage you to cover your photo, address, and any other personal information that the site does not require, either before taking a picture of the ID, or afterwards in editing software. Take a picture of your ID.
This is extremely risky, and I wouldn't recommend anybody to do this for any site. The risk for abuse at the best of times is high, never mind when the site/database gets cracked and ends up on the dark web. Password theft is bad enough, but identity theft? Very, very serious business.

Odin

Staff member
This is extremely risky, and I wouldn't recommend anybody to do this for any site. The risk for abuse at the best of times is high, never mind when the site/database gets cracked and ends up on the dark web. Password theft is bad enough, but identity theft? Very, very serious business.
I understand your concern, but a name, date of birth, and gender isn't enough information to steal someone's identity with. If someone was to use an ID that contained significantly more information and not cover that information, it is a possibility. But if you do share only the information they ask for, it's not something that puts you at the risk of identity theft. In a potential data leak, it would certainly let people connect your Naver account to your real name though.

But that's why I encourage people to cover any other information, and lay out what the site requires at the top, to let people make an informed decision. Everyone is going to feel differently about the tradeoff between their privacy and access to the Stardew community on Naver.

GIRL WHY THE **** DOES IT NEED A KOREAN BANK ACCOIUTHJK Hgrkiljgibujerguier
Keep in mind Naver's not a modding website, it's like a Korean Google with many services such as banking, internet communities, search engines, etc. (much like China's Baidu). Naver's search algorithm is built around the Korean language, which seems to have better localized search results for Koreans than Google.
I really don't get people that don't have the common sense to know that not every country has to have services that are easy for people outside that country to access; I've also seen people complaining about Chinese services such as QQ and Weibo being hard to access.
That said, you don't need a bank account for this.

Pangaearocks

Planter
I understand your concern, but a name, date of birth, and gender isn't enough information to steal someone's identity with.
Combined with username and email address, it's a pretty good start. And I'm sure many don't cover up even more sensitive information like you suggest. I'm just a bit baffled people want to risk so much just to get some mods. The risks are quite real, and I wish people were more careful with stuff like this. Yeah, I know privacy is pretty much dead and a thing of the past due to Google, Amazon, Apple and NSA, but people still ought to be careful and try to protect sensitive information going astray, or at least not take undue risks.

Requirements like that, just to sign up to a site, sets off my alarm bells. Imagine if somebody managed to set up a man-in-the-middle or fake phishing site or something.

Merely hope people think before acting.

Odin

Staff member
Merely hope people think before acting.
I definitely agree there, and it's always good to be aware just how much personal information you're sharing with any given company, what they are getting out of it, and what you are.

I do not know what is issuing organization and validity period. What i am gonna type there pls help
Those sound related to payment information, there's no part of the process that requires payment. Can you share a screenshot of the page you're on, and what step in the sign up process you're at?

suelola

Newcomer
I definitely agree there, and it's always good to be aware just how much personal information you're sharing with any given company, what they are getting out of it, and what you are.

Those sound related to payment information, there's no part of the process that requires payment. Can you share a screenshot of the page you're on, and what step in the sign up process you're at?
Thanks a lot but i can enter my mails now :)

lightsourced

Newcomer
I did all of this, and submitted my ID and everything and have not heard back from Naver. It's been over 2 months... is that typical?

Odin

Staff member
I did all of this, and submitted my ID and everything and have not heard back from Naver. It's been over 2 months... is that typical?
That definitely seems unusual. It's worth noting they will contact you through an email service within Naver (https://mail.naver.com/). Unfortunately if you haven't heard back, I'm not sure what the next step would be. They probably offer support for account issues like that, I'm just not sure how you would access that.