1.6 Update How many Pets can you have now?

Tinks

Planter
Pets sleep indoor, on rugs or in the bed, as they previously did. I don't have enough pets to tell you whenever they can stack on a single rug or in the same bed, or if each of them will find a rug/bed for themselves. That's a good question that I will also test that night after work.
oh thats good then thanks... wonder why we need dog houses then? Thought you had to buy one BEFORE you could adopt a pet! If they're optional I may just add them eventually when I start making money just so it looks more like dog kennels!

nicodeux

Farmer
Your first pet is free (given by Marnie, as always). It will be the dog or cat you chose at character creation. It will use the pet bowl that comes with your farm (free of charge).

All following (adopted) pets need to be purchased at Marnie's ranch for a fee whom amount depends on the kind of pet.

Each adopted pet will require its own pet bowl that needs to be purchased at Robin's shop for a fee and some materials. You can choose between 3 kind of bowls. Pet bowl can be purchased many days after adopting a new pet, but the pet won't go outside nor gain friendship as long as it doesn't have its own pet bowl.

Doghouses or cat trees are purely optional and decorative. They are not related in any way to the process of having pets.

Tinks

Planter
Your first pet is free (given by Marnie, as always). It will be the dog or cat you chose at character creation. It will use the pet bowl that comes with your farm (free of charge).

All following (adopted) pets need to be purchased at Marnie's ranch for a fee whom amount depends on the kind of pet.

Each adopted pet will require its own pet bowl that needs to be purchased at Robin's shop for a fee and some materials. You can choose between 3 kind of bowls. Pet bowl can be purchased many days after adopting a new pet, but the pet won't go outside nor gain friendship as long as it doesn't have its own pet bowl.

Doghouses or cat trees are purely optional and decorative. They are not related in any way to the process of having pets.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thats a shame, don't seem to have thought that through! ... whats the point of having to buy them then before you can adopt another dog? Just gonna make it more grindy if you got to work harder to try and save the money for both the doghouse and the dog for EACH new pet.....especially ..given its a farm that doesn't have much space for loads of crops? (to make money from)

Why not just have to pay for the dog, a bed and its bowl and it can live in the house with your first dog? Maybe how many dogs you can have would depend on the size of your house or you can choose to puchase a shed which would then be 'kennels' or a 'cattery' and person just has to place a 'dogbed' down so the game knows where each dog you bought sleeps (with a bowl alongside it). they can then go outside everyday like the other animals if you just go and open the door like you do with coop and barn doors????

I guess from a visual viewpoint it will look more like an animal rescue with kennels everywhere outside! ... but am worried about where my poor doggies will sleep at night and when the weathers bad! If the first dog returns to your house at night and stays in when it rains and the barn animals stay in their barns where do the other dogs, cats and turtles go???
No, I think there's been a misunderstanding. You have to buy the bowl/floor section, which becomes the pets 'home spot' (where they start each day that isn't raining). The dog houses, cat trees, and birdhouse are all optional. It would be nice if they used them, but it's an optional decorative item.