1.6 Update How many Pets can you have now?

Tinks

Planter
HI

Haven't played this for a while but this new update has got me interested in starting on the new farm. Particuarly I love that its got a new black and white dog...I hope the first one (you get in game) can still sleep on your bed same as before!

But also that there are doghouses (and I presume cat houses?) ...you can buy now ....I'm wondering if there's a max on how many dogs and cats you can have?

Could I create a little 'rescue kennels and cattery' on my farm by being able to adopt multiple dogs and cats (giving them a house each) ...but my first one ..(the black/white one) who would be named after my old girl and would sleep inside as my pet.....others would be 'rescue/foster' pets in an area I'd build for them.

Don't want to get too excited about my idea incase it can't be done if there's a limit to how many you can have.

ArtifactSpot

You need another pet bowl/home spot, which is purchased at Robin's for 5,000 gold and 25 hardwood. Then you can adopt a pet at Marnie's but the registration fee differs according to animal. Some are a few thousand gold, one awesome turtle I saw was 20,000 gold.
Cool! So you just need maximum hearts with first pet I now read. Do you know if you need all the house and CCJoja upgrades too first or just maximum pet hearts when the pet say it loves you! 😍

ooh turtles! Can you get small animals like bunnies, hamsters and guinea pigs too? If not I can settle for more dogs, cats and turtles 🥰

Lew Zealand

Helper
Cool! So you just need maximum hearts with first pet I now read. Do you know if you need all the house and CCJoja upgrades too first or just maximum pet hearts when the pet say it loves you! 😍
I haven't seen any references to House upgrades needed and the CC/Joja doesn't seem to match the "feel?" of adding Pets. The house question is a good one, if you have 20 Pets in the starter Farmhouse will they even fit?

How many beds do you need to accomodate all of them? Wait!! If you get a whole bunch of beds, will all of them sleep on different ones?!? Will they share if there aren't enough beds?? I need to know these things!

ooh turtles! Can you get small animals like bunnies, hamsters and guinea pigs too? If not I can settle for more dogs, cats and turtles 🥰
You just need to have the first pet at full hearts and a pet bowl/spot for each new pet. I adopted a new dog and a turtle at the same time. There are only cats (same designs as the start of the game), dogs (ditto), and turtles (2) that I've seen. In my late game, I'm working on a new quest involving forest friends, so perhaps that unlocks something animal related?

Tinks

Planter
I think I've seen that you can buy doghouses ...I wondered...if you put a couple of doghouses in a shed ..so they have a covered area in winter (could put an heater in there then like do in barns in winter) ...you can then have more than one shed with how ever many dog houses would fit in and an outside area for each 'kennel block' .. ..cats could go in a different shed/area then?

I'm guessing if you have a farm already that has lots of money then you can just buy the dogs (as first dog would have already full hearts). However they didnt have a black dog before and its really important (to me) that the black dog I name after my old girl is the one that sleeps on my bed so I'd have to start completely from scratch...I wanted to do the new farm anyway

I think I've seen that you can buy doghouses ...I wondered...if you put a couple of doghouses in a shed ..so they have a covered area in winter (could put an heater in there then like do in barns in winter) ...you can then have more than one shed with how ever many dog houses would fit in and an outside area for each 'kennel block' .. ..cats could go in a different shed/area then?

I'm guessing if you have a farm already that has lots of money then you can just buy the dogs (as first dog would have already full hearts). However they didnt have a black dog before and its really important (to me) that the black dog I name after my old girl is the one that sleeps on my bed so I'd have to start completely from scratch...I wanted to do the new farm anyway
Doghouses can only be built outdoors and, so far, neither the dogs nor the turtle actually use them. I have them on my beach farm, so space isn't an issue, but I don't see building them on some of the smaller farms.

Tinks

Planter
Doghouses can only be built outdoors and, so far, neither the dogs nor the turtle actually use them. I have them on my beach farm, so space isn't an issue, but I don't see building them on some of the smaller farms.
The dogs can't use the doghouses??? Have you got a pic?

Tinks

Planter
They walk all around them but never go inside or jump on them or anything. I built them right by their bowl area, too. I'll update a screenshot later when I'm on my pc.
Maybe they only go in them on rainy days like how your dog always stays inside on rainy days??? (when only have first dog Marnie brings)

Screenshot from 2024-03-20 21-42-03.png
Screenshot from 2024-03-21 17-45-31.png
@Tinks Here are a couple screenshots of the doghouses. You can see that the dogs are not sleeping in them. Even when they were all running around them playing, none went inside. I don't believe they can. Still cute, though. I'd maybe stick to one on a smaller map. There's also a birdhouse for sale at Marnie's. I got it, but haven't seen any difference or action involving it.

Tinks

Planter
@Tinks Here are a couple screenshots of the doghouses. You can see that the dogs are not sleeping in them. Even when they were all running around them playing, none went inside. I don't believe they can. Still cute, though. I'd maybe stick to one on a smaller map. There's also a birdhouse for sale at Marnie's. I got it, but haven't seen any difference or action involving it.

Thats a shame, don't seem to have thought that through! ... whats the point of having to buy them then before you can adopt another dog? Just gonna make it more grindy if you got to work harder to try and save the money for both the doghouse and the dog for EACH new pet.....especially ..given its a farm that doesn't have much space for loads of crops? (to make money from)

Why not just have to pay for the dog, a bed and its bowl and it can live in the house with your first dog? Maybe how many dogs you can have would depend on the size of your house or you can choose to puchase a shed which would then be 'kennels' or a 'cattery' and person just has to place a 'dogbed' down so the game knows where each dog you bought sleeps (with a bowl alongside it). they can then go outside everyday like the other animals if you just go and open the door like you do with coop and barn doors????

I guess from a visual viewpoint it will look more like an animal rescue with kennels everywhere outside! ... but am worried about where my poor doggies will sleep at night and when the weathers bad! If the first dog returns to your house at night and stays in when it rains and the barn animals stay in their barns where do the other dogs, cats and turtles go???

Last edited:

Tinks

Planter
Also I'd love it if you could take the dog for a walk and play ball with it on the beach or something... .. SOS:olive town uses a lead/leash. 'tool' that you put on the dog (though visually there's no leash it just follows you whilst ever you have that selected) ... Roots of Pacha has a 'follow me' option you can say to your pets. ...

I just want one game where theres a dog that looks similar to my old girl that I can visit, take for a walk/follows you around and who can sleep on my bed! ..at least still in a virtual world! though I may just be feeling it more as its the anniversary of her death today :(

nicodeux

Farmer
The dogs can't use the doghouses??? Have you got a pic?
There are a few extra items for pets: doghouse, cat tree, bird house... Some can only be placed indoor and other can only be placed outdoor.
All of these items seem to be purely for decoration purpose as the pets do not interact with them. The only exception is the bird house: I saw birds land onto it and whistle. A very nice addition!

For extra pets, you can choose amongst dogs or cats that are in the same list from character creation screen. In addition to that, you can also pick two turtles. That's all.
It is not currently known if more pets can be unlocked later, but it does'nt seem so. However, that lays ground for mods to add more pets.

Pets stay indoor until you buy a bowl for them at Robin's shop. They will then move outdoor (unless it's raining).

The limit in how many pets one can get, especially in regard of house size is a good question. I'll try to test that on a save file with lot of money.

Tinks

Planter
There are a few extra items for pets: doghouse, cat tree, bird house... Some can only be placed indoor and other can only be placed outdoor.

Pets stay indoor until you buy a bowl for them at Robin's shop. They will then move outdoor (unless it's raining).

The limit in how many pets one can get, especially in regard of house size is a good question. I'll try to test that on a save file with lot of money.
So you can choose a 'dogbed' instead of a doghouse and have the extra dogs in the house too? or maybe if they all pile on the bed I'll just have to buy myself another double bed and let the dogs share the first one!! :smile:

I'm just wondering ...like I start with one dog the one Marnie brings...it sleeps on your bed and stays inside when its raining... I'm just wondering what any extra dogs would do then if you bought doghouses to go outside but they don't sleep in them or go in them when it rains? ...do they just disappear from the farm when it rains or at night or join the first one inside the house??

nicodeux

Farmer
Pets sleep indoor, on rugs or in the bed, as they previously did. I don't have enough pets to tell you whenever they can stack on a single rug or in the same bed, or if each of them will find a rug/bed for themselves. That's a good question that I will also test that night after work.