How do the titles work?

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's either point count or post count, not sure. If you hover over your name below your avatar, you'll see both metrics. I think it's post count because WhiteEagle12 noticed and mentioned it to me just before I moved up last time, and that was for making too many posts.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Yes, there is a point system. If you hover over a user's avatar or username, you'll get to see their current Posts, Reaction Score, and Points.

If you click on the Posts link, it'll take you to a list of all their previous posts.

Reaction Score is unclickable, although if you want to see yours, you can click on the small name and avatar next to the Alerts and Conversations buttons. In the dropdown up there, the Reaction Score is clickable, for whatever reason.

Points is clickable (if you are logged in), and it will show a list of Trophies that the user has. To see the full list, either click the "View all available trophies" button at the bottom of the list, or go to Support (at the very bottom of any forum page), then Trophies.

Each Trophy is worth a certain amount of points, and your rank depends on how many points you have.

The ranking system goes something like this:

Newcomer 0+ points, Greenhorn 1+, Cowpoke 3+, Bumpkin 11+, Farmhand 18+, Tiller 33+, Sodbuster 38+, Rancher 58+, Planter 68+, Farmer 98+, Local Legend 178+.

If a user has one point less than the "expected" number of points for their rank, such as a Farmer but at 67 points, chances are that is because they haven't uploaded a profile picture.

I'm 99% sure on the names and the order, not so certain on the points, but you get the idea.

I hope this helped explain it!

P.S. And I find it kinda hilarious that your examples were Tiller, Farmer, and Local Legend because at the time of writing, you, Lew, and me are representing those three ranks! Coincidence, perhaps?

Hill Myna

Farmer
Hill Myna is right about the points system. Here are the exact values:

Newcomer: 0
Greenhorn: 3
Cowpoke: 8
Farmhand: 15
Tiller: 25
Sodbuster: 35
Planter: 50
Rancher: 70
Farmer: 90
Local Legend: 175

The full list of trophies are here also
Ah, close! Thanks for the list!

But I can't believe I got Planter and Rancher the wrong way around! I know the correct order, but apparently me-but-3-days-ago got them mixed up. ;D

No Bumpkin though? I was fairly certain I saw one somewhere...