Hi there!

Hi, I'm Angela from Germany, playing SDV for about 18 months now, that is 1800 in-game hours - so much for addiction. I'm into hand embroidery, actually, and I make my living with literary translations, but at times I neglect it all reprehensibly for the virtual world of Stardew and Stardrops, because ... well, living there it's so much easier and funnier and so much more rewarding than in RL. Isn't it?

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I can honestly see Marnie playing Stardew instead of running the counter
Haha, surprise! The microwave is actually a computer! 😜

Wow, that's some impressive time in on your game!
Yeah, I don't know where the amount of hours comes from either. I'm sure GOG Galaxy counts them twice. 😁

Would you be able to name one of the things you like most about Stardew Valley that draws you back in each time?
I think it's the never-finished vision of my perfect garden. And the new quests since 1.5. If there's always something new to discover, you just have to keep coming back.

MissDandy

Farmer
Hi and welcome to the forums! I do cross stitch myself, which I believe is similar to embroidery. If you ever have any creations to show us, you can put them in the "Fan Works" or "Creative" sections here on the forums (depending on what your art is of) and I'm sure everybody would love to see them!

Hi, I'm Angela from Germany, playing SDV for about 18 months now, that is 1800 in-game hours - so much for addiction. I'm into hand embroidery, actually, and I make my living with literary translations, but at times I neglect it all reprehensibly for the virtual world of Stardew and Stardrops, because ... well, living there it's so much easier and funnier and so much more rewarding than in RL. Isn't it?
and you're good at your profession, i never would have guessed that you're not a native (english) speaker. i mean how would i? i myself can't talk/write porperly :-) corrections to my google translater english are welcome

Thank you very much, Ferris! 🥰

I'm not translating anymore being a happy pensioner for over a year now and hopefully I'll soon be able to devote myself entirely to my greatest passion, embroidery.

Btw I have translated from English into German, my native language. That's easier than the other way round. Speaking and writing English is still not so easy for me, I too use Deepl (with my own corrections LOL, but mostly out of laziness and to save time), but what helps me a lot is the constant exchange in English forums, blogs, podcasts and so on. I also read English books in the original, as far as possible. This way you pick up a lot of common wordings and idioms.

It would be very helpful to have native English speakers around which I don't. In Berlin that should be a lot easier though?

Thank you very much, Ferris! 🥰

I'm not translating anymore being a happy pensioner for over a year now and hopefully I'll soon be able to devote myself entirely to my greatest passion, embroidery.

Btw I have translated from English into German, my native language. That's easier than the other way round. Speaking and writing English is still not so easy for me, I too use Deepl (with my own corrections LOL, but mostly out of laziness and to save time), but what helps me a lot is the constant exchange in English forums, blogs, podcasts and so on. I also read English books in the original, as far as possible. This way you pick up a lot of common wordings and idioms.

It would be very helpful to have native English speakers around which I don't. In Berlin that should be a lot easier though?
"Btw I have translated from English into German, my native language. That's easier than the other way round." - true!!! if you want to talk to someone who actually lived there and learned the language (must not be a native speaker) and like try to translate word by word what you want to say noone understands you...these german idioms and grammar for example demenotiv is like a new language. you cannot transfer that. there are few examples where it fits like "any port in the storm" https://youtu.be/EUHLn3l1OCg learned that from watching movies or simpsons episodes in english

if you want to talk to someone who actually lived there and learned the language (must not be a native speaker) and like try to translate word by word what you want to say noone understands you...
That's the point. And the art of translation. You cannot - never - translate literally, because every language has its own syntax, I would say its own mentality.

learned that from watching movies or simpsons episodes in english
Good approach! If I watch films or series, I also try to choose the original version with English subtitles.

That's the point. And the art of translation. You cannot - never - translate literally, because every language has its own syntax, I would say its own mentality.

Good approach! If I watch films or series, I also try to choose the original version with English subtitles.
i had like 9 years of english lessons in school, but when i was somehow "forced" to talk in english to someone i realized i know nothing, because i never practiced. he spoke catalan and english. so we watched movies and tv shows we both know, and i taught him the german dialogoues and opposite. learned a lot during that time, because who would know that some movies are so much better in english, not
Synchronizised in german.