Here goes nothing...

Hill Myna

Farmer
Heya!

My name's Hill Myna. I love Stardew Valley, writing bigger-than-necessary chunks of text (I’m warning you… :D), and making people laugh. I’ve been reading the Forums for a while and everyone seems so friendly! I can’t wait to start posting.

I started playing Stardew in April 2020, and I’ve enjoyed every moment. The soundtrack is a particular highlight; I get excited whenever the music starts. My top picks are Dance of the Moonlight Jellies, Pelican Town, all three (post Community Center 1.4 spoiler) Movie Theater tunes, Calico Desert, all of the arcade songs, the Summer tracks, and Mines (The Lava Dwellers), although the 1.5 songs are very good. Yes. I have a LOT of favorites. But they’re all so good! I can name any song when I hear it, and each brings me back amazing memories from when I first heard it. ConcernedApe sure can make some nice tunes!

My first farm was a Riverlands Farm (Lynel Farm Farm; not a typo), but I got frustrated with the confining layout (and my naming mishap!) so I quickly moved on. My second farm was a Standard Farm called Sell Out Farm, in which I managed a monstrously rich Martin through the might of JojaMart’s Member’s Club and into the Millions by the end of the first year. That account was pretty wild, but I’m fond of it.

And then 1.5 came to Switch. Oh man, I was so excited; I’d been patiently waiting for it to drop since August. I spent a few days fiddling around in singleplayer, but then discovered how cool Splitscreen was! So I hooked up my Mum (who also plays Stardew) to play with me on Bluetree Bay Farm, a Beach Farm (of course). Exploring 1.5 with my Mum has been so much fun; it has just made my experience of Stardew even better! Now we’re nearing Year 4 and Perfection. Once I’ve spruced it up a bit (more like a lot), I’ll be sure to Showcase it.

Once I’ve finished that save up, I’ll be starting a new singleplayer one: Biggest Little Farm, which is also a Beach Farm (I just love this farm type. You really don’t need to grow more crops than you can fit in the small sprinkler-able area, especially combined with the new farm). There’ll be a progress thread for that, but I’m going to do things a little differently. As well as setting a few restrictions for myself, I’m gonna make things artsy.

I also like writing guides. I’ll have “The Skull Cavern Thread” up and running in a few days, and I have a few others scheduled, such as one about (post CC 1.5 spoiler) the Forge, as well as one regarding farm types. If you have any other guide suggestions, please just let me know, I’m very open to ideas!

Well that’s it from me, looking forward to meeting you all!

Woah, huh, hehe, I read all that. I read it all.

So yeah, welcome, Myna! Nice to meet you!

Anyway, good to know that you're playing SDV with your mom. Playing a game with family is a pleasant experience.

Hill Myna

Farmer
So yeah, welcome, Myna! Nice to meet you!

Anyway, good to know that you're playing SDV with your mom. Playing a game with family is a pleasant experience.
Nice to meet you too Moor! Do you get to play games with your family?

I enjoy playing the board game "Wingspan" with my Mum and my little brother; between us we're nearing 1,000 matches!

Woah, huh, hehe, I read all that. I read it all.
I did warn you... :D

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi and welcome Hill Myna! I read the thing you wrote, all the thing and enjoyed the scope of said thing. I'm looking forward to more thing and I rarely bite so Mx Zen's claim is not inaccurate. I am also occasionally wordy but not this time because tired.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Hello Myna, (Hey, you're a bird!) Wingspan is an awesome game. I usually play with a group of four, and you can never tell who's winning. Someone has a ton of eggs, another has a stack of cards under birds, some focus on birds with big points. I like cowbirds, getting lots of free eggs, and vultures, taking advantage of the kills made by others. Certain crows (and mynah's) are not too bad either.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Wow, thanks everybody! I feel so welcomed.

Hi Myna! Welcome to the forums!

Moonlight jellies is one of my favorites as well! Can't wait to check your skull cavern guide!
Woot. Welcome. Most people here don't bite. Looking forward to SC thread
Hello and Welcome! You seem very passionate :smile: I look forward to your SC thread too!
Hello guys! I hope my guide lives up to your expectations.

Hi and welcome Hill Myna! I read the thing you wrote, all the thing and enjoyed the scope of said thing. I'm looking forward to more thing and I rarely bite so Mx Zen's claim is not inaccurate. I am also occasionally wordy but not this time because tired.
Things FTW!

Hello Myna, (Hey, you're a bird!) Wingspan is an awesome game. I usually play with a group of four, and you can never tell who's winning. Someone has a ton of eggs, another has a stack of cards under birds, some focus on birds with big points. I like cowbirds, getting lots of free eggs, and vultures, taking advantage of the kills made by others. Certain crows (and mynah's) are not too bad either.
I couldn't agree more; Wingspan has got to be my favourite board game. I like the Chipping Sparrow most, especially when we play with the Oceania expansion, but it's awesome when somebody continuously triggers your pink power.

Welcome Hill Myna! I love it when people can play the game with their families, this is so not my parents, though if it was I'd have appreciated it.
Nice to meet you!

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Since you are a "word" fan, and like to laugh, there are two stories about Stardew currently active in Fan Works. Bobbi is just starting, and Middlewalk is further along. Should you get addicted to either one, all authors love comments.

Hello there and welcome! It's great to have you here with us! I too share a great fondness of the music and listen to the OST regularly. When I do, like yourself I am taken back to those moments in my mind where I first heard the song and where I was in the game. It's a great bit of nostalgia that reminds me a lot of my childhood and those memories :)

Thank you for the novella(friendly sarcasm here) that you wrote. I love hearing people's stories and what SDV means to them. I can tell you'll feel right at home here.

Would you kindly share some of your more favorite memories of SDV? Mishaps and overall shenanigans also apply here.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Hello there and welcome! It's great to have you here with us!
Hello Michael!

Would you kindly share some of your more favorite memories of SDV? Mishaps and overall shenanigans also apply here.
Here are two:
  • The first time I entered the Mines. I liked the music, the sound of rocks breaking, the combat, and constantly finding new things to collect. Although when I first saw a humble Bug I didn't dare go nearby, because I thought it was a Poe: it was flying, it was colourful, and I thought it was sparkling. When I found out that it was the weakest Monster of SDV, I was gobsmacked. I made a point to kill any I saw. You can only imagine what I felt when I encountered an Armored Bug (seriously, that would be the main reason I get the Bug Killer Enchantment, if ever).

• The day I caught the Legend. I ditched all my jobs for that day and headed straight for the Beach. I purchased the Mermaid's Pendant and then sprinted up to the Mountain Lake. I gulped down a Seafoam Pudding, and dropped my line. After a Largemouth Bass (which totally looks like a miniature Legend IMO) foolishly decided to mess with me, I got a bite of the King himself. I fought hard, and so once the whole 21st century had flown by he was mine, all mine! While my buff still lasted, I caught the Mutant Carp and then promptly proposed to Penny.

Oops, I just wrote another novel. Care to be my publisher? :D

Last edited:

Hill Myna

Farmer
A bit late, but welcome Hill! If you had to start a new farm, what map would you pick?
Hello Odin!

My next save will all most certainly be another Beach Farm. After that (if I don't pick Beach Farm) it'd have to be Four Corners. The layout is nice and big, the mini-quarry is super useful early on (I've seen someone else play on the Four Corners), and I think it looks pretty with all the big trees on the dividers.

Which maps have you played on?

Odin

Staff member
Hello Odin!

My next save will all most certainly be another Beach Farm. After that (if I don't pick Beach Farm) it'd have to be Four Corners. The layout is nice and big, the mini-quarry is super useful early on (I've seen someone else play on the Four Corners), and I think it looks pretty with all the big trees on the dividers.

Which maps have you played on?
Four corners is definitely a good pick! My main save is on the standard farm, but I've also played on the forest farm and a little bit on all the other maps except hill-top, which I've never played out.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Four corners is definitely a good pick! My main save is on the standard farm, but I've also played on the forest farm and a little bit on all the other maps except hill-top, which I've never played out.
Which has been you favourite?

As you can probably tell, I like the Beach Farm. The limited crop space makes me really think about which crops I want to plant, the occasional supply crate/forageable is exciting, and the fishing is great (when it doesn’t just give me Seaweed).

Plus there is enough space to have lots of everything, and in Year 2 and 3 (in my typical play through at least) I can give my animals all the grass they would ever need.

It also makes the 1.5 farm feel like a treat.

The Hilltop Farm would be my final choice. I think it is like a worse Riverlands Farm.

It has the same cramped nature, except the fishing is worse and the quarry regenerates way to slowly to be properly useful. Combine that with the fact that you can’t move around very freely until you’ve upgraded you tools, and you’re looking at my least favourite farm type (from what I’ve seen).

But since they're all different and yet all still great, I want to play on each and every one!

What do you think of the Beach Farm?