Xbox [HELP] Xbox: Character belongs to another player

Serotonin

Newcomer
I play with my boyfriend on xbox. We played locally together in his xbox and played co-op on our separate consoles. Our game crashed and today we tried to play and it says his "Character is taken by another player" which doesn't make sense because it worked the other day we played unless something happened with the crash. Can anyone explain how to fix this on xbox or why it happened.

IglooHater

Newcomer
I'm sure you have moved on but I recently experienced the same and wanted to post the solution for posterity.

You need to log in to the host's game as a splitscreen player and leave the session. That should return the character to your control.

Basically the way this seems to work is that when you join a splitscreen session, your character is loaned to the hosts account, and is not automatically given back when the host quits the game. That's why, if you join the same game several times over the course of a week, you will be assigned ascending player_# values.

reecemc1

Newcomer
I'm sure you have moved on but I recently experienced the same and wanted to post the solution for posterity.

You need to log in to the host's game as a splitscreen player and leave the session. That should return the character to your control.

Basically the way this seems to work is that when you join a splitscreen session, your character is loaned to the hosts account, and is not automatically given back when the host quits the game. That's why, if you join the same game several times over the course of a week, you will be assigned ascending player_# values.
Hi This is same same with me, my girlfriend and i were playing coop on my console and we wanted to play online at home with her mum, she loaded her mums account and the account her mum has is using my girlfriends save, she’s then loaded her account and tried joining now it’s saying player belongs to another account, is there a way of changing the xbox account (her mums) connected to my girlfriends character to my girlfriends xbox account