PC [HELP] Trying to edit game save file to allow for local co-op split-screen, but file won't save changes

hey everyone!

bit of a technical issue here and wondering if anyone in this forum can help me out. I've been trying to set up local co-op with the universal split-screen program (to allow for 2x keyboards and mice) but as my boyfriend and I usually play online from our own PCs and not locally my character is giving me the error "This character is owned by another player". I've tried following this guide (answer from user @He11ion) to fix the error however when I try and save the save game file (which has the generic .file type) it won't let me save it, only 'save as'. Save as then forces me to use .txt file type or I can type a custom file type in the name but I'm unsure of what the file type is for the original game save file. Then, even if I do save it as a .file or anything the folder immediately restores the original file and ignores my edited version. I haven't messed with the FarmName_old file but I assume it will just replace that one too. I have tried to edit it with steam closed and everything but it still restores the file immediately after backing out and returning to the folder. Can anyone help me out? I'm so confused hahahaha

thanks in advance!

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, first thing's first... backup your saves.

Second, go ahead and "save as" and let it put .txt as the extension. Then delete the original, and rename the new file to remove the .txt. See if that works.

If that doesn't work, you can always replace the new file with the backup.