Solved [HELP] "This character belongs to another player"

unrulygirl11

Newcomer
I messed up somewhere. I haven't played in a while. Last I remember trying to get my so to play with me, so I hosted my farm and he made a character using I believe our different steam accounts. I think somewhere I might have transferred my save file onto the laptop (I played on desktop) and so Stardew on both our steam accounts show the same save files (???) Now when I try to have him join on his steam account, stardew co-op says "This character belongs to another player" and he can't click on it.

Did I royally screw up and now my so's character is unplayable forever? Hope this makes sense! I appreciate any help.

benzyne

Farmhand
I'm experiencing this bug as well (only observed after the 1.5 update). It occurs when someone who normally plays over LAN (with an IP address) tries connecting with their character over Steam.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Host launches server (using 1.4, macOS Catalina)
  2. Create new multiplayer game for 4 players.
  3. 1 player connects over LAN (local IP address, macOS Catalina)
  4. 2 players connect over Steam (Windows 10).
  5. Exit game/close server and update to 1.5
  6. Host re-launches server with the save that was created in in step 2 (using 1.5, macOS Catalina)
  7. Have all players (all updated to 1.5) connect over Steam (2x Windows 10, 1x macOS Catalina)
  8. The player who originally connected over LAN (macOS Catalina) is no longer able to select their character. (error: This character belongs to another player)
Oddly enough, only one of the Windows clients is able to connect with that character (mentioned in step 8) in addition to their own.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the 1.5 update or if Steam broke something in their most recent client update (Dec 20, 2020 build), so I've included all relevant version details.

Can also provide my preferences/save files to CA/devs/mods, just let me who to DM it to.

edit: mistakenly wrote Mojave instead of Catalina

Last edited:

froozzt

Greenhorn
Can confirm that I am having this issue as well.

I used to use Split Screen Mod, and then eventually during the lockdown due to the virus we played remotely from our own homes.

etufoz

Newcomer
Hi, I have the same issue. My kids usually play and connect via LAN/IP. After the 1.5 Update, it says "This character belongs to another player".
It's their biggest and favourite farm, would be sad to lose all that character progression for the farmhands.

He11ion

Greenhorn
So guys i got the same problem with almost same setup (Win 10 host + 2 mac os connected to it) and it screwed 1 of saves.
I found work-around for it:
  1. Go to player savegame folder (%appdata%/Roaming/StardewValley/Saves on Win or ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves on mac)
  2. Back up Saves folder for any emergency
  3. Go to folder with name of your host character (if name is Papa, then it will be Papa_123456 or something alike)
  4. Inside of it open corresponding file (named Papa_454646 or similar)
  5. Open it with some good text editor (i have used notepad++)
  6. Open find window and search for string like <name>Mom</name> where Mom - name of problem character
  7. Open find window again and find next <userID> (will be something like <userID>194930061271345123</userID>)
  8. Delete <userID>194930061271345123</userID>
  9. Launch steam
  10. Save and close file
  11. Launch game - problem gone. (At least at this time)

drayt

Newcomer
@He11ion

Hi, we have a similar problem: my friend hosted a game with her GeForceNow account, I joined the game (bought on GOG). There were problems during the game, so I decided to buy the game on steam, so I can join on GeForceNow, too.

I got this error code: This character belongs to another player.

So she loaded the savefiles on her local pc and tried the process above (she deleted my userid and saved the file), but it didn't work.
We think the problem is the GeForceNow connection. Any ideas, what we could try?

drayt

Newcomer
We fixed the problem: started the game local with the steam account and saved it. So the next time GeForceNow took the local data :)

RancherGuy22

Newcomer
So guys i got the same problem with almost same setup (Win 10 host + 2 mac os connected to it) and it screwed 1 of saves.
  1. Go to player savegame folder (%appdata%/Roaming/StardewValley/Saves on Win or ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves on mac)
  3. Go to folder with name of your host character (if name is Papa, then it will be Papa_123456 or something alike)
  6. Open find window and search for string like <name>Mom</name> where Mom - name of problem character
  7. Open find window again and find next <userID> (will be something like <userID>194930061271345123</userID>)
  9. Launch steam
  10. Save and close file
Can confirm, this worked for me. Literal lifesaver

naylor83

Greenhorn
  9. Launch steam
  10. Save and close file

Thank you so much for the fix! Worked beautifully on all our saves. (We just bought a third pc so we can play three together at the same time, me and my two daughters 4 and 8!)

Doom21

Newcomer
Thank you so much for the fix! Worked beautifully on all our saves. (We just bought a third pc so we can play three together at the same time, me and my two daughters 4 and 8!)

i didnt get it how to do it can anyone like do a short video on this subject or try to clarify it more cuz i am kinda lost didnt find anything of that