PC [Help] Steam Username in Multiplayer Games

poke_the_mouse

Newcomer
Whenever I join a multiplayer game, the message saying "<username> has joined" uses my old steam username. I'm not sure where the game is getting this from, I changed my username a long time ago, I've cleared previous aliases on steam, I'm on a completely different save and I've even reinstalled the game multiple times. I can't even find my old username anywhere on my steam profile or in stardew valley files so I have no idea how I can reset it back to my current steam username.

I am assuming that your steam cloud was not clean. – or the data is messy...
Maybe try to explore your Steam Cloud and report me back if you find your old data files.

ashtonblair

Greenhorn
Whenever I join a multiplayer game, the message saying "<username> has joined" uses my old steam username. I'm not sure where the game is getting this from, I changed my username a long time ago, I've cleared previous aliases on steam, I'm on a completely different save and I've even reinstalled the game multiple times. I can't even find my old username anywhere on my steam profile or in stardew valley files so I have no idea how I can reset it back to my current steam username.
I am having the exact same issue. Except, the strange thing is, it isn't even my whole steam account name, it is a variation of it. It has me thinking Stardew Valley is somehow accessing my previous aliases, which is weird as, because I've deleted my alias history.

I am assuming that your steam cloud was not clean. – or the data is messy...
Maybe try to explore your Steam Cloud and report me back if you find your old data files.
What do you mean? We can easily see our Steam Cloud files, none of it has the name I'm referencing, just my farmhand's name.

Kadybutt

Cowpoke
I have this exact issue.
I changed my Steam login name a couple of years ago, and Stardew seems to be the only game that uses my old name still.
This is problematic for me because I am trans and I really never, ever want to see that old username again. It's from another life.
I have confirmed that the only information in my Steam cloud storage is a very recent save file, so that is very unlikely to be related to this.
I truly hope there's some way to resolve this.

I have this exact issue, and I have done ALL of the following:

Thoroughly verified all of my Steam settings
Uninstalled the game
Purged the game data from my Steam Cloud
Purged files and folders related to Stardew from every nook and cranny of my computer
Purged everything Stardew-related from my computer registry
Restarted my computer after wiping all of the above data
Reinstalled the game after said restart

And after all that, the game still deadnames me. I love this game and have cherished it with my friends for over 2 years now, but now I can never play it again unless this is fixed.

kilometers

Greenhorn
I have this exact issue, and I have done ALL of the following:

Thoroughly verified all of my Steam settings
Uninstalled the game
Purged the game data from my Steam Cloud
Purged files and folders related to Stardew from every nook and cranny of my computer
Purged everything Stardew-related from my computer registry
Restarted my computer after wiping all of the above data
Reinstalled the game after said restart

And after all that, the game still deadnames me. I love this game and have cherished it with my friends for over 2 years now, but now I can never play it again unless this is fixed.
Hey! I just realized that I had this same problem (trans and my deadname popped up)

The only way I've managed to solve it is to make a whole new steam account for playing multiplayer with my friends.

If you log in to Steam on the same computer with your new account you'll be able to see your old account's games. To get access, you can request to borrow the game. You'll get a Steam Customer Service email to whatever email your old account is registered under. All you have to do is approve the request and you'll be able to play all the games in your old library on your new account.

Or you can just make a new account and get the game again but that feels like a waste of money ngl

If you're an achievement and playtime junkie like me, you can use the new account only for co-op games and log back onto the old account for everything else.

(Also my software engineer father is currently very upset about this and is literally combing through every stardew and steam file he can find so I'll let you know if we figure out how to actually change it)

Odin

Staff member
I just wanted to mention that I've heard from the developers that this issue is being looked into currently. Unfortunately I don't think it can resolved on the player's end, it sounds like an issue with GOG's servers (Stardew uses these for multiplayer for all Steam and GOG players). Of course, this isn't a guarantee that this will be fixed in the next update since it's still being looked into (and I don't want to make promises on behalf of CA), but the devs are aware of this and on the case.

Pathoschild

Planter
This should now be fixed in Stardew Valley 1.6. If you'd like to test to make sure, feel free to message me for access to the alpha. Thanks for reporting it!