PC [HELP] M1 Mac - Game Crashing In The Mine

kagan101

Greenhorn
I am having freezing problem while playing Stardew Valley on my M1 MacBook Pro 13’’(MacOS Big Sur V11.1). It is happening when changing floors or just walking in the mine. Spinning rainbow wheel comes out and the screen stays frozen for a long time. I have to force quit and restart the game to keep playing. This problem is appearing in local co-op and I am not the host pc. I didn't test on single player mode.

liquidcat

Staff member
Can you share your most recent error log? (Crashes don't always produce an error log, so you may not see any in the folder).
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/errorlogs.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs/.
If you have SMAPI installed, the best way to share a log is via https://smapi.io/log. Thanks!

Odin

Staff member
This problem is appearing in local co-op and I am not the host pc.
Do you mean it's an issue when playing multiplayer on two computers over a local network? If so, the error logs would be generated on the host's computer, which is why you don't see any. If possible, could you have them check for an error log on their device and upload it if there is one?

dawg

Newcomer
I have a similar issue with co-op on the M1 MacBook Pro 13" (macOS Big Sur). Whenever I host a co-op farm, my computer will crash in the middle of the day, causing my co-op partner's Stardew Valley (Windows) to also crash. The spinning wheel of death displays on my computer, and the app states it's not responding. It has happened at various times, but I distinctly remember it happened three times when I was ~entering town on the Standard Farm (where it flashes the black screen when you reach the edge). I have tried a) restarting Steam b) restarting computer which only temporarily fix the problem before it crashes again.

I have had zero problems playing by myself only; the game has also only crashed once when I played on someone else's co-op.

I couldn't find any error logs.

kagan101

Greenhorn
Do you mean it's an issue when playing multiplayer on two computers over a local network? If so, the error logs would be generated on the host's computer, which is why you don't see any. If possible, could you have them check for an error log on their device and upload it if there is one?
Yes it's an issue when playing multiplayer on two computer. I also checked the host's computer and It doesn't have any error log folder either. I can confirm that dawg is explained exactly the same bug with us.

Margotka

Greenhorn
We with my wife have the same problem. Sometimes one of us can go into mine. But after few flors my M1 (only my) always freeze.

She's host game with Mac 13' 2019, and i have M1 13'. But... we have no error logs (any of us)!

Aezol7

Newcomer
I have the same thing ;( i have M1 - and when playing multiplayer and i go into mines, the rainbow wheel show ups and i have to force quit the game and then it locks in a few times like that again randomly and i have problems entering the server again..

pls fix this Stardew valley!!

bleh

Greenhorn
hi there Im also playing with an apple m1 chip and am also having a similar issue where when I open a separate browser and then return to stardew the game is unresponsive

Rayne_Chew

Greenhorn
Similar problems to everyone here. I never have issues as the host from an intel 15-inch MacBook Pro, but my girlfriend on an M1 MacBook Air freezes at seemingly random intervals when I, the host, am in the mines. I'll have no issues whatsoever. The only constant is me being in the mines. It doesn't matter if we're playing over LAN or invite code, whether I'm at specific levels or something. She can go in and mine with no issues generally if I am not there.

Last edited:

bahamaboy123

Newcomer
Hi all,

Wanted to just resurrect this a little, as my M1 MacBook Air has been freezing somewhat regularly the last three days -- in single player mode.

Usually it happens in the evening too which is very frustrating. Twice it's frozen in the mines and then once just now on my farm when I accidentally mined one of my forges.

ascii7

Sodbuster
I wonder if it would help if ConcernedApe recompiled it as a universal binary (having both native Intel and native M1 code). This would fix any bugs that might be introduced by the Rosetta 2 translation process. A universal binary should be built for the long run anyway.

FreakyT

Farmhand
I've also had this issue since January on my M1 Mac in co-op mode. Sometimes I can play for a short while before the crash (spinning rainbow of death), and somethings it crashes as soon as I connect.

I wonder if it would help if ConcernedApe recompiled it as a universal binary (having both native Intel and native M1 code). This would fix any bugs that might be introduced by the Rosetta 2 translation process. A universal binary should be built for the long run anyway.
Steam itself runs under Rosetta, so would this even be possible?