Windows [HELP] Game won't open after update

Tom

Rancher
1. I installed it and did an unrequested restart, but for some reason the OpenGL Extensions Viewer still reports

N/A

2. I looked at Intel's install log IntelGFX.log. It is long, but I found
-File skipped, destination file is same or newer [a couple of times]
-...version...same. Skipping uninstall of previous....

3. It's really strange that this was working (albeit slowly) 2 weeks ago before I re-installed Windows. The computer is clean and fast now, but no Stardew Valley except in compatibility mode.

4. In OpenGL Extensions Viewer, I "played" the OpenGL tests (under GL Rendering tests) and I was able to see them performing through v2.1 (which jives with my web research on i3 330M), after which point the Viewer crashed. So it does appear that OpenGL 2.1 is supported.

5. I ran another tester from SourceForge called OpenGLChecker. It reports
GL version: 2.1.0 Build 8.15.10.2900
It lists the extensions. And GL_ARB_framebuffer_object and GL_ARB_framebuffer_object are both listed.
I ran the benchmarks. They all perform poorly. But they all work.

6. Just in case, I tried Stardew Valley again with the same error log result.

Tom

Rancher
Last edited:

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
Well, I installed the sketchy patch mentioned at https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/topic/2165-faq-failed-to-create-graphics-device/#comment-26144
1. My computer did restart ok
2. OpenGL Extensions Viewer still says N/A and still runs the tests under Core Profile 2.0.
3. Stardew Valley still runs under Compatibility Mode.
4. Stardew Valley now runs without Compatibility Mode!
Awesome stuff. I'm glad a solution was found. It seems that Windows 10 + Older Intel HD Graphics iGPUs have an issue. Funny that the minecraft community created a fix for the driver, though it is indeed sketchy without showing the source code. I'll have to look into this further.

I'm debating at looking to create a mod that will run SDV 1.5.6 on DirectX, rather than OpenGL. As stated previously, Windows OS + Laptop + OpenGL is a cursed triad. I'll keep saying this until the end of time.

Tom

Rancher
To recap for posterity...

On Jan 8 my mom played Stardew Valley (vanilla, latest, no mods) on my 2010 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 with Intel i3 330M processor and Intel HD onboard graphics that could run no later than a 2012 driver. It was lagging a lot and shutting down overheated (hard drive was most of the time at 100% busy).
On Jan 18 I re-installed Windows 10 without saving any files. The computer was a lot happier, but on Jan 19 when I installed Steam and unmodded Stardew Valley, it would not start. Nothing would appear at all. The "Play" button at Steam would just come back after several seconds. %appdata%StardewValley\ErrorLogs said "MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers." But Windows and Google could not help me find any updates (except see below).
Compatibility mode did work just fine. But I wanted more.

1. I found that my driver should be providing OpenGL 2.1
2. Using GLView 6 (do not download the GL|ES version), I found that OpenGL 2 tests did run.
3. I found that there was a driver version 8.15.10.2993 (higher than my 2012 8.15.10.2990 driver) for Intel HD , but it apparently was so close to my version that it either wouldn't install or the computer wasn't reporting the change.
4. With OpenGLChecker I found that my driver was providing ARB_framebuffer_object and EXT_framebuffer_object. So I concluded maybe there was a bug.

I eventually resorted to installing this sketchy patch from the Minecraft community, and it resolved my issue. I can run unmodded or modded now.

Post-mortem: I still don't know why the clean install of Windows would not run Stardew Valley. I tend to think that the Stardew Valley hotfixes applied on Jan 18 may have broken Stardew Valley for me.

I had the same MonoGame issue with a newer computer this week, and fully updating the drivers resolved it.

Last edited:

ZennyCat

Greenhorn
Are you working on that? It'd really solve my problems trying to run this game.
Me too. I've tried every official and unofficial troubleshoot and fix I could find since the migration in early December when the game stopped working for me (on my old Toshiba A505-S6890 laptop, 64 bit, upgraded to Win10 a few years ago). I did manage to get it working in Compatibility Mode on Steam at that time but after playing modded for so long, Vanilla just wasn't doing it for me. Eventually I just gave up trying but I miss the game so much.

I was so excited to find this thread yesterday and decided to try again. I followed all of the instructions carefully.

But after redownloading/reinstalling SDV 1.5.6 yesterday from Steam, it still won't launch through Steam or by clicking the local .exe file (does that "playing" thing for a minute or so but never opens). I also tried the sketchy Minecraft driver patch this morning but I still can't launch the game.

Can't update my drivers. Can't update my equipment (older player on fixed income). So the thought of your possible DirectX mod feels like a whole new fix option.

unicorniobolado

Greenhorn

On Jan 8 my mom played Stardew Valley (vanilla, latest, no mods) on my 2010 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 with Intel i3 330M processor and Intel HD onboard graphics that could run no later than a 2012 driver. It was lagging a lot and shutting down overheated (hard drive was most of the time at 100% busy).
On Jan 18 I re-installed Windows 10 without saving any files. The computer was a lot happier, but on Jan 19 when I installed Steam and unmodded Stardew Valley, it would not start. Nothing would appear at all. The "Play" button at Steam would just come back after several seconds. %appdata%StardewValley\ErrorLogs said "MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers." But Windows and Google could not help me find any updates (except see below).

2. Using GLView 6 (do not download the GL|ES version), I found that OpenGL 2 tests did run.
3. I found that there was a driver version 8.15.10.2993 (higher than my 2012 8.15.10.2990 driver) for Intel HD , but it apparently was so close to my version that it either wouldn't install or the computer wasn't reporting the change.
4. With OpenGLChecker I found that my driver was providing ARB_framebuffer_object and EXT_framebuffer_object. So I concluded maybe there was a bug.

I eventually resorted to installing this sketchy patch from the Minecraft community, and it resolved my issue. I can run unmodded or modded now.

Post-mortem: I still don't know why the clean install of Windows would not run Stardew Valley. I tend to think that the Stardew Valley hotfixes applied on Jan 18 may have broken Stardew Valley for me.

I had the same MonoGame issue with a newer computer this week, and fully updating the drivers resolved it.
Thank you so much! I spent hours and searched everywhere, did everything, but this was the ONLY thing that actually helped. I'm so happy I'm finally able to play the game

Reactions: Tom

MoeHeinKhant

Newcomer

I've been searching the solution for this problem the whole day and this method solved the problem on my i5 560M..

krystalleigh

Newcomer
I've been searching the solution for this problem the whole day and this method solved the problem on my i5 560M..
i'm thinking of trying this since i also have an i5 and i'm wondering if that's what's causing steam not to launch stardew but i'm nervous since it looks quite sketchy. did you have no problems with it?