Windows [HELP] Game won't open after update

Licchi

Newcomer
I play via steam and when I tried to launch the game this morning after the uptade it didn't open.
I've already tried verifying integrity, compatibility, running on admin mode and nothing works.
Has this happened to anyone else? I would really like some help.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that you posted in unmodded bug reports, but it is an easy mistake not to mention you play with mods. Do you play with mods? If not, then feel free to ignore this, I just felt that it may be a pertinent question if you do. If you do play with mods, then could you upload us an SMAPI log?

Licchi

Newcomer
I know that you posted in unmodded bug reports, but it is an easy mistake not to mention you play with mods. Do you play with mods? If not, then feel free to ignore this, I just felt that it may be a pertinent question if you do. If you do play with mods, then could you upload us an SMAPI log?
No, I don't. It's unmodded :/

Lionsong

Greenhorn
Having the same issue, started with update installed last night. (1/18/2022 update) No mods or extra software added to the game. Game tries to launch, gives me the "preparing to launch screen" and just immediately closes. Also tried verifying integrity, compatibility, running on admin mode, checking the sound system...still not working. Newest verion (just got the game two weeks ago), no error text, language is English, and single-player.

Microsoft Windows 10
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
4 GB RAM

Not sure what else is needed for help, but I signed up here in the small hope there is a fix. OTL

Tom

Farmer
I am having the same issue and a complete mystery.

1. Same issue: I have a feeble old computer I am trying to spiff up better for my mom. I reinstalled Windows 10, installed Steam, installed Stardew Valley unmodded, and it fails to run with the following error log named NullPlayer_....txt (!):
Code:
InnerException: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers.
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.FramebufferHelper.Create(GraphicsDevice gd) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.FramebufferHelper.cs:line 32
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.cs:line 340
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.cs:line 357
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 144
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 115
Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 123
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 838
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 465
   at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: Could not detect.
Compatibility mode helps.
.NET framework did not help.

2. Complete mystery. When I installed Steam, it put all the Saves from my account into my Mom's Saves folder. Why on earth and even how on earth did it do that? How did it even access my Saves in my account? Is Stardew Valley somehow trying to leverage the Windows user account and somehow finding the saves because it's my Windows User account on both computers?

I think I have an idea about this: the Saves from my account were present in %appdata% when her account was created, so it adopted them in their state at that time. I say this because she has old versions of some farms I have been playing since we created her account.

Last edited:

Licchi

Newcomer
Having the same issue, started with update installed last night. (1/18/2022 update) No mods or extra software added to the game. Game tries to launch, gives me the "preparing to launch screen" and just immediately closes. Also tried verifying integrity, compatibility, running on admin mode, checking the sound system...still not working. Newest verion (just got the game two weeks ago), no error text, language is English, and single-player.

Microsoft Windows 10
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
4 GB RAM

Not sure what else is needed for help, but I signed up here in the small hope there is a fix. OTL
I sent an email explaining the issue to the support team, if they answer I'll tell you.
I also got the game about a couple weeks ago, I'm hoping there's a fix.

Lionsong

Greenhorn
Got it to run on compatibility for a couple of minutes...and the whole screen turns white with the music still running. :bored: Sounds like this has been a problem for several people, but not everyone. Just found the support email, I will send off an email too for good measure.

Tom

Farmer
@Odin Yes, compatibility version does allow me to run the game.
@Lionsong Yes, I also get the screen turning white and I have to minimize and maximize to restore graphics.

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
I think this comment has the right answer, even though I can't do it. I'll have to retire that old laptop.
Looking into your chipset's specifications, it can run OpenGL 2.1: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/hd_graphics_(ironlake)

As of patch 1.5.5, Stardew Valley is running on OpenGL 2.0. So it meets the requirements. Prior to 1.5.5 it was running on DirectX 9c. From my experience with Graphic Programming there is some problems when it comes to Windows OS on Laptops running OpenGL.

Your CPU has an integrated GPU as shown in the link above. Can you double check for me to see if your laptop has a dedicated GPU as well?

Just to cover bases here, this is how you would check:

Hit Start, and type "Device Manager". It should pop up with a program matching the name. Click that to run Device Manager. A window will appear with a organized list of hardware devices. Expand "Display Adapters". Take a screen shot of that and paste it in the thread, or type out how many you see and each of their names.

Example on my PC. Note I only have one:

1642970563297.png

Tom

Farmer
Looking into your chipset's specifications, it can run OpenGL 2.1: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/hd_graphics_(ironlake)
First, thanks a million!

Second, here's what I know:

Graphics card: only onboard Intel HD Graphics
Driver: Intel 11/26/2012 v8.15.10.2900
Capture.PNG

OpenGL: I wasn't able to determine exactly what version of OpenGL is required for Stardew Valley Monogame ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object. I also wasn't able to determine exactly what version (if any) of OpenGL my driver runs or how to ensure that everything is as compatible and updated as possible. So thanks for addressing OpenGL!

Tom

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
First, thanks a million!

Second, here's what I know:

Graphics card: only onboard Intel HD Graphics
Driver: Intel 11/26/2012 v8.15.10.2900

*Snip*

OpenGL: I wasn't able to determine exactly what version of OpenGL is required for Stardew Valley Monogame ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object. I also wasn't able to determine exactly what version (if any) of OpenGL my driver runs or how to ensure that everything is as compatible and updated as possible. So thanks for addressing OpenGL!

Tom
The version of OpenGL you have is 2.1. OpenGL is mostly designed at the hardware level, not the software level.

With your driver information I was able to look up your iGPU's extensions. It supports EXT_framebuffer_object (Its referred to as GL_EXT_framebuffer_object typically). This is a bit odd. It seems the underlying framework that Stardew Valley is built on (MonoGame) isn't detecting your GPU.

For Reference: Your iGPU's (Intel(R) HD Graphics Build 8.15.10.2900) specs to the absolute T: https://opengl.gpuinfo.org/displayreport.php?id=1004
You can search for "EXT_framebuffer_object" in the extensions tab and see that its supported.

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
Strange. I wonder why Monogame is reporting
I need to correct myself here a bit. The framework that Stardew Valley uses (MonoGame) requires OpenGL 3.0 OR a graphics card that supports GL_ARB_framebuffer_object OR GL_EXT_framebuffer_object. Your iGPU supports both ARB and EXT according to the site I linked.

1642984628972.png

So lets do a sanity check to see if this is true. You'll need to run a program that'll allow you to read what extensions your iGPU supports.

Download GLView 6, do not download the GL|ES version.

Once installed, run the program. It may take a bit as it'll query your GPU extensively. In the end you should see a window like this.

1642985478140.png

You should see OpenGL section stating the version number. Click "See Details..." in the same row as that. You will see a report on the right side listing the extensions. This will provide a source of truth.

Tom

Farmer
This is great troubleshooting!

Capture.PNG

"OpenGL driver version check (Current: 0, Latest known: ):
Latest version of display drivers found
According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card."

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
This is great troubleshooting!

*snip*

"OpenGL driver version check (Current: 0, Latest known: ):
Latest version of display drivers found
According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card."
1642996207229.png

This is stating it does not support OpenGL. Which is conflicting with the provide specifications. In addition, the oldest Intel Core CPUs with iGPUs support OpenGL 2.1. That is known.

Even if you were to have no GPU Driver installed, Windows should provide OpenGL 1.4. So the driver must be broken.

Reactions: Tom