Solved [HELP] Game won't launch after update (STEAM)

araphon1

Greenhorn
I click launch, the game says running for a few seconds, then turn off. No errors, no nothing. So, I downloaded SMAPI because I know it post error logs, bc I used to mod my game but decided to make a fresh install as like none of my mods were updated for 1.5 anyway. So, I uninstalled the game, all mods, etc. Removed all folders from steam just to make sure no pesky mod got stuck in there somehow. Installed the game again.

But it won't run, as I said. This is the error log from SMAPI: https://smapi.io/log/ce0ebb8e255f4b889e9cf4f3b246c2b5

It says something about corrupt memory, and XNA. I have tried reinstalling the XNA framework, tried reinstalling directx, uninstalled and reinstalled the game again, tried launching as admin, both steam, the stardew valley .exe and smapi. I removed the prefs file from %appdata%/Stardew valley. Pretty much any fix I have found online, but nothing seems to work. Anyone who could say what is wrong? I am at my wits end here. Played it just fine up until the update. I doubt very much my hardware is broken (memory corruption), as exactly all other applications run without a hitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

araphon1

Greenhorn
Seems I am not the only one with this error either :,(

bluerat9

Newcomer
same here hopefully this gets addressed soon like within a 2 week period bc this seems to be a pretty common issue

hhh

Greenhorn
Ok I will do that and post here and on your steam post. The game is still no launching for me :/
So, uhhmmm. I downloaded the SMAPI and somehow the game just loaded LOL
But there are somethings that I am confused about. I did not installed any mods and the SMAPI says that I have 2 mods running.
If you want me to send you what the SMAPI says about my game I can copy paste it here.
Thanks for telling me about this app.

araphon1

Greenhorn
So, weird thing... The game just started working. As far as I am aware, there hasn't been a patch..? Neither for XNA nor Stardew, nor SMAPI. The game just decided I had waited enough I guess? I have literally no idea. I haven't even fiddled around with it since my last post. It just spontaneously decided to fix itself. Huh.

hhh

Greenhorn
So, weird thing... The game just started working. As far as I am aware, there hasn't been a patch..? Neither for XNA nor Stardew, nor SMAPI. The game just decided I had waited enough I guess? I have literally no idea. I haven't even fiddled around with it since my last post. It just spontaneously decided to fix itself. Huh.
yeah, I don't have a clue why it's working too. I just need to open the SMAPI first and the game starts to work LOL.

Odin

Staff member
But there are somethings that I am confused about. I did not installed any mods and the SMAPI says that I have 2 mods running.
SMAPI comes with two mods by default! ConsoleCommands which lets you control some things through the terminal that SMAPI run in, and SaveBackup which creates some save backups when you play (these can com in handy for anyone, but especially those trying out lots of mods).
Well, that's odd, but glad to hear it's working again!

hhh

Greenhorn
SMAPI comes with two mods by default! ConsoleCommands which lets you control some things through the terminal that SMAPI run in, and SaveBackup which creates some save backups when you play (these can com in handy for anyone, but especially those trying out lots of mods).

Well, that's odd, but glad to hear it's working again!
Thx for explaining the SMAPI for me. It was the first time I ever heard of it. Still glad that the game is working now :)

Slorn

Newcomer
I'm also having this same issue. Unlike OP the game hasn't changed its mind and let my daughter's PC run it. Installed SMAPI to see if that'll magically change things but no dice. I'm also getting that memory error notice when I run the stardew API. I've run the full suite of suggested fixes and I'm at a loss. Any suggestions appreciated.