PC [HELP] Frequent Stuttering

Hello everyone,
As the title says I've been having issues with frequent stuttering in the PC version. I've read all the posts I can find online on the subject yet I cannot find a way to fix the issue. I've tried disabling Vsync, playing in Windowed mode as well as playing with and without mods. Currently I have a couple mods running with SMAPI but this doesn't seem to affect performance. I've had Stardew for a while now and the frame skip has always been there as far as I can tell, but my patience has expired with this issue.

Specs:
Windows 8.1
Intel Pentium Quad-Core N3540 2.66GHZ
4GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics (Valley View)

I'm starting to wonder if my old cheap laptop just can't run Stardew, but I've played games like Don't Starve without any issues.

UPDATE: Playing around with the game a bit more it seems like most or possibly all of the stuttering happens in the first minutes of gameplay each time the game is booted up.

Last edited:

Creamshake

Greenhorn
I have the same issue
never played with Mods
Running on a I7 4470k
Sapphire 580X
32 GB RAM

The game was always smooth until this year when I wanted to get back to my save
I didn't touch since May. Was there any update that made the game now laggy?
I tried the workarounds with CPU 0 and XNA and whatnot,
but this can not be the final solution?
Is there any plans for a fix?
Weird that the only game I play that lags is Stardew Valley...

ReenaRose

Farmhand
Having the same issue, but it gets really bad during Winter and after that; mind you I'm playing the beta version. CA said that they are currently doing updates and preparing for the 1.5.5 release, maybe that's why.

Windows 11
Acer Aspire 3
Core i5 10th Gen
32 GB RAM

Creamshake

Greenhorn
seen it, I have my integrated graphics always deactivated by default in BIOS
so this was never an issue
and I already tried to turn it on with no effect
only workaround so far that worked is the CPU 0 workaround,
there are still lagspikes, but less than before

Hello people.
Maybe try to follow CA's instructions. – I remember him addressing this similar issue.
It's worth trying.
@ReenaRose
@Creamshake
@HomeintheValley12

I tried this fix but to no avail. I think I've narrowed things down now to the 1.5 update, since I found the video below that seems to be the same exact issue I'm having.

The comments on the video seem to show that there's a bunch of others with the same issue, and they all seem to say it started in 1.5.

Last edited:
There are many versions of 1.5
I assume that maybe it would be better to download the older version of 1.5 if the stuttering persists. – just a theory
Then, wait for CA and his team to fix the latest update.

Have you tried to download the older version of 1.5 through Steam?

Last edited:
There are many versions of 1.5
I assume that maybe it would be better to download the older version of 1.5 if the stuttering persists. – just a theory
Then, wait for CA and his team to fix the latest update.

Have you tried to download the older version of 1.5 through Stream?
I think I played the older version with the same issue. However since the stuttering was such an issue I never actually played through a whole in-game day, and doing so now I notice that the stuttering gets better after a while. Maybe I'm having a different issue than everyone else and the root cause is with my laptop and not the game.

ReenaRose

Farmhand
These sorts of issues can be tough to troubleshoot. One option would be to attempt updating to the 1.5.5 beta as seeing if that makes any difference:
https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/8893/

Although it sounds like ReenaRose may already be on 1.5.5 and seeing this issue?
I am on beta 1.5.5 and having the problem as well. My laptop is brand new, got it a month ago, so I don't think there is any issue there.

Odin

Staff member
I am on beta 1.5.5 and having the problem as well. My laptop is brand new, got it a month ago, so I don't think there is any issue there.
Thanks for confirming that. If you haven't already, I would report this issue in the 1.5.5 thread I linked in my previous message. Including as much detail as you can above when the lag occurs while playing (if you can determine any pattern) would be a big help.

ReenaRose

Farmhand
Thanks for confirming that. If you haven't already, I would report this issue in the 1.5.5 thread I linked in my previous message. Including as much detail as you can above when the lag occurs while playing (if you can determine any pattern) would be a big help.
Thank you, definitely will!