PC [HELP] Fish Tanks in house not taking items

Smallcorners

Newcomer
I cannot get anything into the house item fish tanks.
Left click, right click, does not matter.
I do know that the Rustic Country Walls and Floors had co-opted the tanks for their offerings and I thought perhaps this is why they were not working, but I removed that mod to see it they would work, and they still do not.

I play on a PC.

imnvs

Local Legend
You can not put things in by selecting the fish tank like it is a chest. That is only how you take things out.

To put things in, you have to have them selected as if they were a tool or as if you were going to throw them into a fish pond. Make sure you have tried this, please?

Smallcorners

Newcomer
Perhaps I was not clear enough?
I was not trying to place the fish via the chest inventory. I was holding the fish and tried to put it into the placed tank. It did not work.

Perhaps the mechanic for placing items into fish tanks needs to be revisited?

Ereo

Helper
I do know that the Rustic Country Walls and Floors had co-opted the tanks for their offerings and I thought perhaps this is why they were not working, but I removed that mod to see it they would work, and they still do not.
Just because you took the mod out doesn't mean changes to your save file will automatically revert to vanilla.

imnvs

Local Legend
My walls and floors certainly did. The first step of troubleshooting is usually "remove the suspect mod" I did so.
While that is true, removing the mod doesn't necessarily fix the problem because the save file has already been changed by the mod. Sometimes removing the mod can even make things worse, but is still recommended.

Have you tried starting a new save after removing the mod?

imnvs

Local Legend
Well... I could recommend trying that, just long enough until you can get an aquarium from Willy and a fish to put in it. See if you can do that in a fresh save, now that the mod has been removed.

I know that might seem tedious and annoying, but that would be evidence to prove whether it is now a corrupted save or not. And if it is a corrupted save caused by the mod, there is always hope that we can find a way to edit the save file and fix the issue. If it isn't a corrupted save caused by the mod, we can further troubleshoot to hopefully get you able to put fish in aquariums.

dubesor

Farmhand
if the save is broken to not allow fish tank input just upload it because then anyone can reproduce the issue. if it's mods: disable mods. I personally have never had any issues to put stuff into, or take stuff out of any of the fish tanks, on multiple saves and multiple game versions (PC+Switch)

mouse

Farmer
Just to clarify since I see a lot of "the mod" -- are you still using other mods besides the one you removed? The causes for issues are often not obvious*, so modded game issues usually start (or end) in mod support forum with a SMAPI log. I only start thinking of something as vanilla when it happens on a new save without any mods installed, hehe.

(Since things like this usually are mod-induced, you can often rule out vanilla without going entirely SMAPI-less, just by getting rid of every mod except, say, CJB Cheats to give you money, and starting a new save like that. It's entirely possible for something to be caused by SMAPI, but it's much, much less likely than random mod #23049823, which makes it less of a pain to narrow down!)

* A recolor mod is unlikely to cause this kind of problem, for example, because their changes are almost always cosmetic. Meanwhile, a completely unrelated-seeming mod like, I don't know, "pelicans deliver snacks" or "utilities for modders" could edit a vanilla game function and break it in x situation or when not up to date, etc. Or it's your fish. Or...

Last edited: