Solved [HELP] Controller not working in Stardew on Mac

wholemilk

Newcomer
Update for those who are on mac intel and above methods worked and then stopped working.

Every time I play on either my mac mini or macbook with a controller I have to unpair the controller, add it, and check that the libSDL2.dylib is in place. After a few times, the controller didn't work for stardew anymore even though libSDL2.dylib was in place. The file would randomly be removed every day or so and now I saw a new file (maybe per an update?) that was called libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib . If you download the above mentioned file (and keep it on hand just in case!) you can rename libSDL2.dylib to libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib and replace that file and your controller should start working again.

To recap the long steam thread, mac changed from kext files for controller input to a new framework called driverkit. Valve didnt make an update to driverkit so thats why we have issues. If you're like me, going to that steam thread and running kmutil (which has also been updated since) you may find that you dont have a SteamInput.kext in the /Library/Extensions folder. I haven't found a way to get this file by itself. Even though a kext file is a security issue, I'm still looking for that freestanding file. If you're reading this and found you have SteamInput.kext in your library extensions folder, could you perhaps share it with those who do not have it?

I hope this helps someone else as this seems to be an ongoing and evolving issues. Regarding libSDL2.dylib, I expect to check it for naming updates every day until it stops getting deleted.
I tried this and it worked for me, but it stopped my mods from working. Is there a way I can fix this issue?

BriRay12

Greenhorn
I have read every thing you have said and have been at this all day since 2pm it is now 941. This is the craziest thing I have ever had to deal with trying to do something that should be so simple. I also have the newest iMac in purple color. Im not sure if the type of iMac matter but I wish I could just call the creators of SV at this point to try to get this to work. I want to play so badly but my hands and nerves cause me pain if I play with the keyboard. My controller works in the game but as soon as it loads my character awakes in bed and I can only move the cursor with the controller and hit RT for her to swing her axe. That is all the XBOX controller allows me to do. If this has been a problem for people for years based off the research I have done today I am not really understanding why it is still and issue and no one has came up with a solution.

henleee

Newcomer
Hi, I was able to find the file that fixed the problem for me. Here
Thank you so much! That link fixed all my controller issues using Nintendo Joy-cons left right pair on my MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 macOS Ventura 13.6.6.

You can access the hidden library on mac by opening finder and clicking GO on the navbar at the top of the screen and then pressing the option key.

Then paste the file into /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS

Last edited: