Issue Having Issues Loading Stardew Valley Modded

trueandrew

Cowpoke
Hey all, I'm trying to play modded Stardew but am running into 2 main issues.

First, my game takes an extremely long time to open after launching. I know this is common, but its taking close to 5 or 6 minutes to even get to the title screen after launching.
This isn't that big of a problem, though, because I still get to the menu so I don't mind waiting.

The second, bigger issue is that when I click 'load' on the title screen the game freezes and will not unfreeze without forcefully closing the game. The first time I played I was able to start a new farm, but getting thru the intro sequence at 3 fps wasn't going to cut it so I tried to restart and now only face this issue.

Here are my logs: https://smapi.io/log/a81fa61e22a448f8b629cd822fc4e8d1

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to Stardew modding so I don't know how to parse thru logs myself or I would.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Hey all, I'm trying to play modded Stardew but am running into 2 main issues.

First, my game takes an extremely long time to open after launching. I know this is common, but its taking close to 5 or 6 minutes to even get to the title screen after launching.
This isn't that big of a problem, though, because I still get to the menu so I don't mind waiting.

The second, bigger issue is that when I click 'load' on the title screen the game freezes and will not unfreeze without forcefully closing the game. The first time I played I was able to start a new farm, but getting thru the intro sequence at 3 fps wasn't going to cut it so I tried to restart and now only face this issue.

Here are my logs: https://smapi.io/log/a81fa61e22a448f8b629cd822fc4e8d1

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to Stardew modding so I don't know how to parse thru logs myself or I would.
Hello ^^

I experience a similar issue, but I have found it’s the result of having a lot of mods installed. I’ve had to simply settle on just waiting it out. I know there are a lot of others who don’t have this issue, but I believe that comes down to the pc/laptop they are using. Whilst SV itself is easy enough to run even on the most potato of pc’s/laptops, having mods (particularly quite a few like you and I do), it can take it bit before everything to load in.

Now, there might be something underlying cause for your issue (I am not able to see any other potential issue based on your log though, however I could be overlooking/not noticing something), but just wanting to share that I experience the same thing, and the reason why I’m experiencing it. Cheers!

TildenJack

Tiller
Now, there might be something underlying cause for your issue
Having both PyTK as well as TMXL installed should be one of the reasons, as those seem to cancel out some of the recent performance improvements in SMAPI and Content Patcher, which allow me to start the game in less than a minute now, even with hundreds of mods installed.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Having both PyTK as well as TMXL installed should be one of the reasons, as those seem to cancel out some of the recent performance improvements in SMAPI and Content Patcher, which allow me to start the game in less than a minute now, even with hundreds of mods installed.
Wanting to ensure that I understand correctly - having both PyTK and TMXL are responsible (or at least in part) for load time issues? Again, wanting to ensure that I am not misunderstanding. If so, then is there any way around that? Given how quite a few mods require PyTK or TMXL?

TildenJack

Tiller
having both PyTK and TMXL are responsible (or at least in part) for load time issues?
Yes, and since the creator of those mods doesn't seem to be around to update them, that may not change anytime soon, if ever. Especially since most of the features added by those mods have been replaced by other mods or can simply be done through content patcher itself (adding new maps, specficially). The only feature I can think of that doesn't have a better replacement is portrait upscaling, as the replacement mod with the same feature is less convenient to use.

So you either have to put up with those mods, or try to get rid of them. I personally did the latter by converting all the mods that required TMXL to content patcher.

trueandrew

Cowpoke
So you either have to put up with those mods, or try to get rid of them. I personally did the latter by converting all the mods that required TMXL to content patcher.
What do you mean by converting the mods that require TMXL to content patcher? Is there a guide somewhere I could find foe this?

Also, is there a way to check which mods require TMXL or will I have to search that up manually?

TildenJack

Tiller
Also, is there a way to check which mods require TMXL or will I have to search that up manually?
Search for mods with the TMX or TMXL preset. That should give you everything. Converting them requires a bit of modding knowledge, though.

Adding new locations - which is followed by renaming the old locations in the code (events, schedules, NPC spawns in the NPC Dispositions data), to those of the new location names. And you also need to edit the warp locations in the map files, which requires either a text editor (if the map is available in .tmx format) or Tiled, if the map is only available as a .tbin file.

Also, if a mod edits an existing map, then you need to learn how to use the EditMap command. Scroll down a bit.

Of course you also need to move all the map files and tilesheets from the TMXL mod somewhere into the Content Patcher mod.

Migrating festival data. Repeat for every festival. Everything you need, except the event date, is already visible in the json of the TMXL mod, so it's just a matter of copy and paste. Especially if you use festival data from another mod as a template.

Convert spouse rooms. Can be skipped for spouses you don't want to marry anyway.

So yeah, this requires a bit of work if you really want to keep mods that aren't receiving any more updates. Also, some of those features may not work in older mods unless you update the Content Patcher version number at the very top of the content.json file. But that may break elements of older mods, so you either need to update these too, or you need to make your updates in a separate mod.

Last edited:

trueandrew

Cowpoke
Search for mods with the TMX or TMXL preset. That should give you everything.
I just decided to delete TMXL, that stuff is way over my head at the moment.

Game runs flawlessly now. You're a lifesaver and a beautiful human being. Thank you so much!